Back Hurts When I Wake Up, Mattress Covers Ideas?

stevehaigh

i recently switched from a super soft american mattress to firmer, but not rock hard local mattress because i felt that the super soft was maybe not good for my spine.

well the problem is now i wake up every morning with a bit of back ache. it goes away as soon as i'm up and moving around and i feel ok for the rest of the day so maybe the mattress is helping me a bit. but i'd still like to be more comfortable in the morning.

i was thinking about some kind of mattress pad and wonder if anyone has any advice. i think you can get latex ones although i've never been in any of the hundreds of latex places on this island.

what do you back pain sufferers think about mattresses and mattress pads?

steve

Index used to have a sleep clinic person to assist with your type of question & would give you plenty of options to try. I actually went from a firm mattress to a soft one which has some latex included & different springs (cannot remember the name) than the traditional ones. Since then I have found it much better for my back. You could try a different pillow as well which may help.

Home pro have the mattress overlays i have seen them for sale in a few shops we paid about 3000 baht for the one we bought thats king size, i found the new mattress to hard and paid 24000 baht for it thinking it would be comfortable at that price

i've seen the home pro overlays too and that's partly why i'm asking. what do you think of it? is it more comfortable and/or better for your back?

i guess i'll take a look in a latex shop or 2 today. see what the story is with the latex mattress pads.

Edited by stevehaigh

Generally I have loved the firm mattresses in Thailand since I have a bad back but sometimes I found them a little too firm. I would go to a place in Klong Toei area which sells all kinds of foam sheets, take them home and fashion a very thin foam cover and place an extra fitted sheet over this. Worked very well for me.

Home pro have the mattress overlays i have seen them for sale in a few shops we paid about 3000 baht for the one we bought thats king size, i found the new mattress to hard and paid 24000 baht for it thinking it would be comfortable at that price

i've seen the home pro overlays too and that's partly why i'm asking. what do you think of it? is it more comfortable and/or better for your back?

i guess i'll take a look in a latex shop or 2 today. see what the story is with the latex mattress pads.

Yes mate, it definately made the bed more comfortable and i think its made of latex

There is a shop on the bypass road not far from lotus on the left hand side set back from the road with parking in front, they may be cheaper there

With every new mattress, your back needs a bit time, to get used to the change. Here from soft to harder.

You have a different sleeping position, now.

We had a Mattress in the guest bedroom when we bought the house, it was that hard it felt like sleeping on a board with a bit of padding on the top, simular to sleeping on the floor

Gave it away to Thai friends and they though it was a great mattress

Thai people like harder mattresses than western people and they are the people who buy most of the mattresses here, its very hard to find mattresses the same as you can buy in western countries

We had a Mattress in the guest bedroom when we bought the house, it was that hard it felt like sleeping on a board with a bit of padding on the top, simular to sleeping on the floor

Gave it away to Thai friends and they though it was a great mattress

Thai people like harder mattresses than western people and they are the people who buy most of the mattresses here, its very hard to find mattresses the same as you can buy in western countries

Thai people also like to sleep on the floor, and don't like to spend too much money on things, others can't see, they have spend it!

The hardest mattresses are mostly the cheap ones. They lasting longer!

For rental houses/apartments, it's the best thing, to do, for the owner.

And "You don't like? I can buy other one, you pay"

Look at the Big C 'garage sale'. They are so hard, it would kill my back. But they are cheap.

so i just went in Chalong Latex. a 7cm thick, king size mattress pad is, wait for it, 21000 baht! holy khrap, i had no idea they were that expensive.

Chalong Latex is a huge, nice, aircon place loaded with staff and only 1 customer, me. i expect they get a few bus loads of russians throughout the day but really, how much stuff can they sell. and there must be at least 100 other latex places just like it. what's the real deal? money laundering?

anyhow, at 21000 baht i'm guessing that's a 95% markup from what it costs them. i wonder where to get wholesale?

Edited by stevehaigh

Next month I will be investing in one of these. lets hope it is as good as they say it is.

http://latexinnovations.com/

Got mine from that company a couple of years ago. Got to say a great night sleep, good service delivered not to the door but to the bedroom by a courier, their pillows are very good too. Worthwhile investment considering the amount of time one spends in bed (sleeping or otherwise).

Next month I will be investing in one of these. lets hope it is as good as they say it is.

Got mine from that company a couple of years ago. Got to say a great night sleep, good service delivered not to the door but to the bedroom by a courier, their pillows are very good too. Worthwhile investment considering the amount of time one spends in bed (sleeping or otherwise).

i didn't realize that link was thai. are they in phuket? does Mam come over and help you test it? is so, sign me up!

i didn't realize that link was thai. are they in phuket? does Mam come over and help you test it? is so, sign me up!

Hehe, unfortunately no they are in BKK, couriered down to Phuket. I dealt with Mam when ordering it as she was very friendly and professional. smile.png

Edited by TS79

Some of the Latex "toppers" are just way too expensive. Had a similar problem when moved into new apt so looked around. The best value was at HomePro where they had specials on Sealy mattresses for about the same price as the topper mentioned above...............for my money one of, if not the best around.

Then Homeworks had specials on Sealy mattresses as well!! So good prices can be found without paying exorbitant prices for toppers, although you can find some cheaper versions around.

Take your time as a good nights sleep is paramount.

Bought the same Topper(european latex) yesterday. All i can say, it's worth every single bath. price reduced from 4990 to 2990 bath. good deal but in 6'x6,5' size( king size) only 3 more left.

Bought the same Topper(european latex) yesterday. All i can say, it's worth every single bath. price reduced from 4990 to 2990 bath. good deal but in 6'x6,5' size( king size) only 3 more left.

do you mean the ones in home pro chalong?

maybe i'll go pick one up then, i need to do something

do you mean the ones in home pro chalong?

maybe i'll go pick one up then, i need to do something

HomePro Phuket Town.

I have the same problems as the op, being a cheap charlie, I blame it on old age. sad.png

Maybe you are correct and it ahs to do with old age.

I have the same issue as the OP and you, as I also use a firm matress but not exactly a cheap one.

When I wake up I may have a bit of back ache.My experience is that if I do some excercise for 1 morning, merely bending over and some stretching, I will not experience the issues for a week.

So I don't think the firm matress is the cause

i bought one yesterday in the mattress place next to home pro chalong, its part of home pro i guess. i got the latex one there at 12000 baht. its quite thick, about 7-8cm i guess.

anyhow, we slept on it last night and big big difference. no problems with my back this morning and the wife likes it too, so i'm happy.