4X4 - Off Roaders

cowslip

Any TV members with an interest in the more "rural" roads of Thailand.

Do you have any tips for off-loading - or country laning?

any favorite locations?

How about parts and accessories?

Is it worth a sub-forum?

Edited by cowslip

Are you talking about a truck, ATV or ? When I retire to the North or NE Thailand, I was thinking about getting a 4x4 ATV. They have them all over Koh Samet now since the main road there is a complete disaster. Shame as the southwest side of the island has some OK snorkeling....

Edited by SoCalChris

Perhaps I should say rough-roading........Northern Thai, Laos etc. in pickup or SUV.

I'm finding it hard to find a good 4x4 shop too. Bangkok E$astern Seaboard. I've found one or two but I'm still looking for a locking diff. the ARB seems to have a poor reputation - I'm sure there must be a Thai/Chinese alternative.

Edited by cowslip

The ARB air lockers from my understanding is a great product. The diff/axle is the weak link. Ford 9", Dana44 or GM 12bolt if available should suffice and be reliable. I think it comes standard on the Jeep Rubicon....I seen one in Thailand at least.

I haven't pursued a comprehensive gearheard project in Thailand as I fear the level of competency could be insufficient, and I could be subjected to farang surcharges. bah.gif

The ARB air lockers from my understanding is a great product. The diff/axle is the weak link. Ford 9", Dana44 or GM 12bolt if available should suffice and be reliable. I think it comes standard on the Jeep Rubicon....I seen one in Thailand at least.

I haven't pursued a comprehensive gearheard project in Thailand as I fear the level of competency could be insufficient, and I could be subjected to farang surcharges. bah.gif

My reading on the ARP air lockers (about 50k fitted) has been in some cases they simply don't work..............problem is only partly "what" it is largely "where" to get the stuff.

I've had no problems with overpricing - apart from import duties.....

Edited by cowslip

My reading on the ARP air lockers (about 50k fitted) has been in some cases they simply don't work..............problem is only partly "what" it is largely "where" to get the stuff.

Hmmmm, where did you read that? I've seen ARB air lockers in action and when properly installed, work like a charm. You'll will most likely need to import them or settle with a domestically-sourced limited slip diff.

IMHO, you've been fortunate so far with not getting costs "add-ons".....knock on wood. I had a final price quoted for installing fiberglass-wrapped headers on my first (and last) Thai mini-project. After the work was done, the Thai shop owner "decided" to add a 1000baht charge for the 10 minute fiberglass wrapping. His complaint was the worker's hands were irritated by the fiberglass, but if that person wore gloves like he should have done, there would not have been a problem. The tech was working just fine on the next service task with no problem as well. He saw a farang appear in his shop and targeted my wallet with any stupid excuse (the initial price quote was given to my Thai wife).

Hmmmm, where did you read that? I've seen ARB air lockers in action and when properly installed, work like a charm. You'll will most likely need to import them or settle with a domestically-sourced limited slip diff.

IMHO, you've been fortunate so far with not getting costs "add-ons".....knock on wood. I had a final price quoted for installing fiberglass-wrapped headers on my first (and last) Thai mini-project. After the work was done, the Thai shop owner "decided" to add a 1000baht charge for the 10 minute fiberglass wrapping. His complaint was the worker's hands were irritated by the fiberglass, but if that person wore gloves like he should have done, there would not have been a problem. The tech was working just fine on the next service task with no problem as well. He saw a farang appear in his shop and targeted my wallet with any stupid excuse (the initial price quote was given to my Thai wife).

Google ARB locking diff.

My rear axle already has an LSD.

I've seen an "auto-locking" diff, but I hear they have a habit of locking under normal road conditions.??

Googled it.....all I read in the first 20 hits are positive statements about ARB products. My server at work is based out of Malaysia though so I might not see the same thing you do. I again believe you can't go wrong with an ARB air locker when it's installed correctly.

For serious off-roading, the front axle definitely needs a LSD/locker or you might as well have just a 2wd truck if one of the front wheels hangs off of the ground. Have you identified your differential model(s) and looked to see what aftermarket items are available for them?

When I was doing my FWD sport compact car autocrossing, the helical diffs (Quaife) worked very well. It almost goes to a complete lock-up with only just a little bit of slip. No issues for normal driving either and they don't wear out.

Edit: I know what you are talking about now, certain LSDs chatter when going around a corner.....

Edited by SoCalChris

I haven't seen any front locker conversions for pickups here without fitting a landcruiser axle. So unless you know of where I can get something in Thailand, there won't be a front locker on mine......or an LSD.

However it would be nice to fit a rear LD.

For me, I hate getting stuck as I would off-road alone many times. And even more so if in Thailand cuz my Thai sucks. So, what truck do you have.....I still don't know.

Anyhow, I did my 93' Jeep Cherokee with LSDs on the front(D35) and back(D44), BFG AT radial TAs, fully articulating suspension with swaybar disconnects, suspension with good ground clearance, skid plates, winch with long tow strap and yada yada. It could go most anywhere but was limited a bit by the tires.

For your truck, it could be an ok/fun light off-roader if you don't want to go through the expense of converting the front axle. Just bring some friends along and defintely have a winch to help you get unstuck.

Edited by SoCalChris

I've actually just got a quote for ARB air lockers front and rear! It looks like they are the only the way to go......there don't appear to be many options here. but I like the idea of having a compressor on board too.

I'll have to get the front one imported from Oz.

I have a winch, after dropping my last pickup into a couple of holes I decided that was a must.

Edited by cowslip

Yes - I'm headed South in the new year and am likely to encounter some sand so ability to deflate and reflate tyres would be a boon.

i'm tempted - financially - just to fit a front diff lock as iot has the LSD on the back already.

I've also just found a carbon fibre hood, which might compensate a bit for the extra weight of the winch. I have OM Emu coils already but I have to watch the weight due to road tax.

Edited by cowslip

For me, I hate getting stuck as I would off-road alone many times. And even more so if in Thailand cuz my Thai sucks. So, what truck do you have.....I still don't know.

Anyhow, I did my 93' Jeep Cherokee with LSDs on the front(D35) and back(D44), BFG AT radial TAs, fully articulating suspension with swaybar disconnects, suspension with good ground clearance, skid plates, winch with long tow strap and yada yada. It could go most anywhere but was limited a bit by the tires.

For your truck, it could be an ok/fun light off-roader if you don't want to go through the expense of converting the front axle. Just bring some friends along and defintely have a winch to help you get unstuck.

You had a d30 in the front of a Cherokee, 35 is a rear end.. Arb is a great choice front and rear for a daily driver or hardcore rig, very easily had here.. For a dedicated wheeler a Detroit rear locker is about as good as your gonna get, no worries about torn airlines ect.. If you go for a arb a stainless steel air line is highly recommended as the cheap blue plastic lines arb supplies are notorious for failure.

I haven't seen any front locker conversions for pickups here without fitting a landcruiser axle. So unless you know of where I can get something in Thailand, there won't be a front locker on mine......or an LSD.

However it would be nice to fit a rear LD.

From lockers are available for all ifs trucks, very common, just a bad combination with big tires, a good bit of torque under load... Ifs half shafts are notorious for popping under a relatively low ammount of stress, thus the sas's ( solid axle swap) the most common replacement in Thailand is the vx80 axle plenty of shops specialize in this ie. option4wd, metal scream ect.. If you need pm me and I'll send you a list

I've actually just got a quote for ARB air lockers front and rear! It looks like they are the only the way to go......there don't appear to be many options here. but I like the idea of having a compressor on board too.

I'll have to get the front one imported from Oz.

I have a winch, after dropping my last pickup into a couple of holes I decided that was a must.

You really also should make sure that you are having the bearings, seals everything replaced at the same time it also may be a good idea to replace the ring and pinion as well if your running bigger tires... Just a thought it's pretty much commonplace to have a locker and regear done at the same time

To the origional op question, loads of trails in kanchanaburi, hua hin, Chiang rai, cm your going to want to hook up w some of the local groups as they often do weekend trips, and the trails are very often not marked, be warned it is absolutely not safe to wheel alone in ANY of the Burmese border areas.... Most group trips will have at least someone with a weapon...be warned you don't want to come across smugglers poachers ect in the middle of nowhere alone

Search for teentoa it's a big Thai 4x website tons of suppliers runs ect helps if you read thai

Got it, cheers....I'll take a look.

Do you have a garage who fits diffs in Thailand?

I've come across Zimba 4x4.

I've decided not to go for a beam axle, so IFS will need a diff - have to go into strength.....my feeling is that a weak diff is better than none at all, but if it can be strengthened then we'll look into that.

You had a d30 in the front of a Cherokee, 35 is a rear end.. Arb is a great choice front and rear for a daily driver or hardcore rig, very easily had here.. For a dedicated wheeler a Detroit rear locker is about as good as your gonna get, no worries about torn airlines ect.. If you go for a arb a stainless steel air line is highly recommended as the cheap blue plastic lines arb supplies are notorious for failure.

Right, I meant a D30 in the front, but wrong, I had a Dana 44 aftermarket axle for the rear because I heard the 35s were weak. wink.png Both had 4.56 ring/pinion combos or very close to that......

Edited by SoCalChris

Anyone know how I can re-calibrate my odometre and speedo etc.? I have much larger tyres than standard and my mileage is all over the place, but I don't know by how much.

At present I'm just checking on google maps against my odometer and getting about a 10% difference....is that likely?

Anyone know how I can re-calibrate my odometre and speedo etc.? I have much larger tyres than standard and my mileage is all over the place, but I don't know by how much.

At present I'm just checking on google maps against my odometer and getting about a 10% difference....is that likely?

Sure what truck are you driving you want a new speedo gear plenty of aftermarket made in the us

Right, I meant a D30 in the front, but wrong, I had a Dana 44 aftermarket axle for the rear because I heard the 35s were weak. wink.png Both had 4.56 ring/pinion combos or very close to that......

Yeah 35 c clip axles are garbage for anything over 32's when they break the whole shaft slides right out... Wheel and tire come along w it... I usually run 60's they can handle a good ammount of abuse good for so cal wheeling

Search for teentoa it's a big Thai 4x website tons of suppliers runs ect helps if you read thai

I've decided not to go for a beam axle, so IFS will need a diff - have to go into strength.....my feeling is that a weak diff is better than none at all, but if it can be strengthened then we'll look into that.

Your ifs has a central diff, it's where your ring and pinion are currently housed... You just have what is referred to as a open diff at this point in time, with the arb you will a selectively locking diff,.... Unless your truck is currently 2wd.. Then you need a whole lot of things and would be cheaper to sell what you have and buy a 4wd way too much work involved

One of the 'Safari' companies on Samui took brand new 2WD pick-ups and had them converted with full SAS...could be by Option 4x4 but I'm not a 100% sure. I'm not at home now either so can't ask.

DSC00303Large.jpg

DSC00302Large.jpg

Are you sure they were converted to 4WD?

Both Toyota and Mistu sell single cab 4WD's with 3.0L/3.2L as a special order...

Your ifs has a central diff, it's where your ring and pinion are currently housed... You just have what is referred to as a open diff at this point in time, with the arb you will a selectively locking diff,.... Unless your truck is currently 2wd.. Then you need a whole lot of things and would be cheaper to sell what you have and buy a 4wd way too much work involved

Sorry don't get this reply.

I want to put an air locker on my front IFS diff. Apparently ARB do the kit for this.

As the models above - I've never heard of these being available ex-factory in Thailand, even if they are made here.

I was informed by Sales and Marketing manager of Nissan a few years back that it would in fact be illegal to sell an Aussie spec vehicle in Thailand as the government stipulates what sort of trucks are sold in the home market.