Living In A Soi?

ragamuffin

I've been to Bangkok various times and am moving there in January for a four-month research stay.

My budget is limited because of small scholarship and I'm therefore looking for rather "local" accommodation instead of condos.

Well, some of my Thai friends say living in a soi shouldn't be a problem unless I walk back home alone too late but I worry a little, to be honest.

So far, I've been looking for rooms around Chula and BTS Phaya Thai (Petchburi Soi 7) in particular because one of my friends lives around there.

Any recommendations on safety issues, especially for females?

Thanks!

My friend lives pretty deep in one of the Petchburi 5 sois, though.

The area would be convenient because of the BTS station but I really don't know yet how my days would look like. I might be spending my evenings in the library working on my thesis, who knows. I checked the sois on Google streetview and they're really very narrow. My friend says a lot of students and office workers live around there, however, he would not explicitly describe the area as "safe". He goes out in the night to grab some food but then he's Thai and not obviously a farang walking around in the dark. I just don't want to feel too restricted although in general I really don't ming living like the locals.

The "Thailand is much safer than back home" brigade, are very quiet. rolleyes.gif

You know what! haha... just kidding.

OP.. why dont you do a walk past the area your thinking of living during a night.. see what is around?

Personally.. I still believe the approach of not walking around looking like Mr Bling Bling shall keep you safe enough.. after all.. its not only outside housing area's that people get jumped.. Ive been in & out of Thailand, Indonesia, Zambia, Tanzania, Japan, Panama & Colombia for the past 7 years.. been to shady area's in all countries & been lucky enough to never have been jumped.. a few Katoeys trying to grab my necklace with a flick of the finger nails whilst following me down the street when walking out to go Diving but thats about it.

OR.. ask your friend that lives in that soi.. Im sure they would know whether its a safe place to be for you to be or not..

The "Thailand is much safer than back home" brigade, are very quiet. rolleyes.gif

The OP is a female - it's a little different.

For males, Bangkok IMHO is waaaaaaaaaaaay safer than any city, in the "west" - even including Scandinavia/Netherlands/Deutschland etc...

That being said - i feel that most of Bangkok, would be safe for her anyway - no matter the time of day....

But yes, anywhere in the world, a female walking home - late at night. Should properly avoid dark alleys, so not really different than where she lives now... smile.png

Edited by KhunMoo

That being said - i feel that most of Bangkok, would be safe for her anyway - no matter the time of day....

But yes, anywhere in the world, a female walking home - late at night. Should properly avoid dark alleys, so not really different than where she lives now... smile.png

hence my non-sexist quote..... Mr stands for both sexes ;)

Yeah, I'll of course have a look myself and my friend will advise me, but I wanted to hear some expat opinions before I head off to BKK :). Looks like 99% of the rooms are off the main roads anyway. Not sure whether I'll feel comfy, though. I'm a lot taller than a regular Thai and probably even weigh a couple of stones more but I'm still very obviously a white bread and don't want to be mistaken for a money machine. On Google streetview all sois look narrow, dark and potentially dangerous to me and I'm a bit of a sissy sercuritywise, to be honest.

One tip that was given to me when I first came here (by a Thai) is that get into the 'Habit' thing.

Well, not at night time anyway.

Meaning don't walk home at the same time every night.

Easier to say then do, I know.

Good luck with everything ... thumbsup.gif

Thanks, although this doesn't really make me feel better ^^.

Why?

I would worry more about your safety in Britain, where I guess you are from, when you use "stones"....no?

Bangkok is WAY safer than most British city's - as they are full of.....ehm, Brits.

And.... Well you said it yourself, if you are a standard British woman, you are twice the size of most Asian men. IMO are there NO way that you should be worried about being "mugged" for money. It is NOT everyday events here, as it is in Europe....

And the sexual-assult angle...Well back to the thing with British women wai2.gif

The Thai neighborhood I live in is very safe, even walking late at night, and it is at the end of the soi, but not really. The morning market is two blocks away, right past the local temple. Once the neighborhood knows you live here, and are not one of the few tourists, they watch out for you, just like everyone else in the area.

I'm 15 minutes away from the BTS, have an excellent pool area, washers, 2 laundry services, 2 restaurants on property, salon on property, mini mart on property, gated with 3 guards, there are 9 7-11s in the area, motortaxi right out the front gate, a small park out the back gate 1/2 block away, lots of food choices. Rent is fairly cheap for what I get, and very few tourists to deal with.

It is a very lively safe surroundings, yet close to everything I need. Massive shopping a short walk away.