Why Can't I Get A Multiple Entry Education Visa?

I decided to enroll in Thai lessons last month as I've been lazy and my Thai is patchy and all learned ad hoc over the years. I went to Laos to get the visa but was surprised I was not able to get a multiple entry visa as I have to go to a wedding in Jakarta next week and then I will be flying home for 2 weeks in december for Christmas.

What are my options? ...Or will I simply have to go to immigration in Chaeng Wattana for a re entry permit a few days prior to both vacations?

This seems excessive, is there an easier alternative?

It is normal that only a single entry visa is issued for education as that is then extended within Thailand. In the case of language study the extension is normally 90 days at a time. So for any travel you just obtain a re-entry permit to return to complete your current permitted to stay and then extend with school paperwork as normal.

It costs 1,000 baht for a single entry or 3,800 baht for multi entry. But remember it is only valid for current permitted to stay time so multi probably is not what you would want.

I just got the Ed visa so current time permitted to stay is 1 year, in which case I'd need the multi. Somebody said I can get one at the airport - can this be confirmed?

I'd rather play it safe and go to Chaeng Wattana prior to my first trip.

Yes, you can get one at the airprot but only after you have checked in for the flight and have the boarding pass and only between 06:00 till 24:00 hours. At the airport there is a surcharge.

Best is always to get it from your local immigration office.

It costs 1,000 baht for a single entry or 3,800 baht for multi entry. But remember it is only valid for current permitted to stay time so multi probably is not what you would want.

I see what you mean now, sorry for misunderstanding.

So the multiple re entry permit would only be valid until my quarterly 90 day check in at immigration, in which case i'd be better off getting two singles prior to each trip. Still a hassle but yes, much cheaper.

No. It is only valid for the current permitted to stay stamp in your passport when you obtain it. If you actually obtain a one year extension of stay for study (normal for university students) it would be valid for that entire period. But if you must extend your stay every 90 days with a TM.7 and 1,900 baht fee (as most language study do) it would only be valid for those new 90 day periods so you would have to obtain a new one each time.

OP,

Not sure where your "home country" is, but it may be easier to stick with your single entry visa for now, and when back home obtain the multiple entry visa from an honorary thai consulate with the invitation letter from the school. The letter should state that you intend to stay for over 8 or 9 months to justify the multiple entry.

But getting a multiple entry ED (or just about any category except marriage to thai national) appears nearly impossible at neighboring consulates.