Great Deals Vs. Things That Are More Expensive

StefanBBK

Prescription eyeglasses and frames I think more expensive here.

Compared to ?????????????????????

Relatively speaking I reckon far more expensive here than the UK. 12,500 my last pair cost. Vari focal reactive, scratchproof lenses.

Beer.biggrin.png mmmmmmmmmmmm

Beer in a shop is the same price as in the west. I have no experience with bar priceswhistling.gif

However thai whisky 40% the blue label red writing is very cheap.

Thailand doesn't produce any whisky, as far as I'm concerned. Most of the spirits they produce are actually unsuitable for human consumption.

yes but they call it "thai whisky".......

• Like 1

Beer.biggrin.png mmmmmmmmmmmm

Beer in a shop is the same price as in the west. I have no experience with bar priceswhistling.gif

However thai whisky 40% the blue label red writing is very cheap.

Thailand doesn't produce any whisky, as far as I'm concerned. Most of the spirits they produce are actually unsuitable for human consumption.

yes but they call it "thai whisky".......

......as a warning.

Vet services

While rent is cheap, I think water and electric is comparable to the US

My electric and water bill in the U.S. were much more expensive than here in Thailand. They aren't even close..

My water bill in Thailand is usually around $5.00-6.00. :D

And my electric bill in Thailand has never exceeded $60.00, even when I rented a townhouse. :D

And I have no gas bill. :lol:

Edited by Newguy70

Vet services

My electric and water bill in the U.S. were much more expensive than here in Thailand. They aren't even close..

My water bill in Thailand is usually around $5.00-6.00. :D

And my electric bill in Thailand has never exceeded $60.00, even when I rented a townhouse. :D

And I have no gas bill. :lol:

Sadly our electric bill is a bit on the high side $150/month, as i like to sleep in an ice box.....

However, there are no heating bills, which makes energy cost over the year very much equal, if not lower than Germany.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

Vet services

My water bill in Thailand is usually around $5.00-6.00. biggrin.png

And my electric bill in Thailand has never exceeded $60.00, even when I rented a townhouse. biggrin.png

And I have no gas bill. laugh.png

Good for you, but my electric for the house is $150 to $200 pretty much year-round

I'm not sure what my water total is, but with the pumps and filter media and whatnot it is certainly more.

This sounds like a great deal, can you provide a little more info... Thank you!

You mean me with the water?

Step 1 go down to Makro, Tesco whatever and buy the dispenser stand whatever. Don't actually need to use the cold/hot bit if you want to save power, just a bit difficult to handle those big bottles otherwise.

Step 2 keep your eyes open for the delivery service coming round your neighborhood and get their phone number - or ask around the neighbors

Step 3 get a Thai person to initiate the service to your address

From then on you just have to make sure someone's at home when they show up each week.

My household goes through 4-5 big bottles a week, but then we use tap water for soup, tea etc where the water's being boiled.

Drinking water delivered to the house weekly, B17 per however many gallons, the huge bottles too heavy for the maid to lift into the (whatever you call the dispenser/fountain/machine).

We buy the big bottles, I think 18.9 litres, for 40 baht. I use a hand pump to siphon the water into bottles for the fridge.

Edited by giddyup

We buy the big bottles, I think 18.9 litres, for 40 baht. I use a hand pump to siphon the water into bottles for the fridge.

With the delivery service don't have to buy the bottles, just the water, I guess that's part of the price difference.

I haven't found a hand pump that doesn't break very quickly, and with our volume (10+ litres per day) that would be pretty tedious. I think the machines are 2-3 K, at the time I didn't think about it, now of course I think "paang".

Some toiletries, vegetables, pork, chicken sometimes, household items, mobiles, data and voice, Internet, taxis, mrt-bts transport, dentistry, low end medical services (checks & jabs), medicine, profession Dr evaluation, buses are cheap and great!, national park fees (can be) , food in np's, longtail boat rides, thai restaurants, local fruit and sweets, cinema, pirate dvds, some ITgear when shippong and hassle is factored.

My new hobby is brisk ealk.in thr morning scouring supermarkets for reduced items expiring. Ive had great sucess scoring avocados and milk for the wife especially but other great scores as well. Meat, cheese, yoghurt... :-)

So you guys think that water in a bottle is more healthy then water from the rain or nature... As long there is plastic around the water you think it' s better for your health...sick.gif . I am disappointed. I wouldn't go to the makro tesco and freely drink what they want us drink.. Tap water is also very obscure.....

Edited by Dancealot

So you guys think that water in a bottle is more healthy then water from the rain or nature... As long there is plastic around the water you think it' s better for your health...sick.gif . I am disappointed. I wouldn't go to the makro tesco and freely drink what they want us drink.. Tap water is also very obscure.....

Are you suggesting I set up a rainwater collection and storage system on my downtown Bangkok roof?

Or drink from the khlongs?

I think even the tap water would be healthier than either of those sources.

I get the Singha water in cases of half liter glass bottles delivered, it's cheap and they fit in the fridge.

My way it works out to a little more than 1B per litre. What would yours come out to at 400 litres a month?

And having it delivered (up three flights of stairs no less) and not having the extra trash to deal with probably outweighs our having to fill up the fridge bottles (I keep five 1.5 flasks rotated).

I get the Singha water in cases of half liter glass bottles delivered, it's cheap and they fit in the fridge.
My way it works out to a little more than 1B per litre. What would yours come out to at 400 litres a month?And having it delivered (up three flights of stairs no less) and not having the extra trash to deal with probably outweighs our having to fill up the fridge bottles (I keep five 1.5 flasks rotated).
Our apt restaurant cut the contract on those bigbottles due to complaints of smell and taste. Not sayin same company - just sayin...We have to spend about 3.5L now and Im none to happy about it, but it is delivered. We dont use nearly enough for external service. If there was a clean water machine downside or even nearby, Id lug it back, there simply is not. Edited by bangkokburning

Five years ago in the UK, varifocal glasses 250 UKP (12,500bht)

Last year in CM, varifocal glasses 8,000bht

I had two pairs made in the UK a few weeks ago. Including a full eye test by a proper optician, and two cases, the two pairs cost me GBP80 (4000B). They weren't varifocal though. I think varifocal would have added GBP50 (2500B) to the cost for the two pairs.

Drinking water delivered to the house weekly, B17 per however many gallons, the huge bottles too heavy for the maid to lift into the (whatever you call the dispenser/fountain/machine).

Couldn't you give her a hand with those? rolleyes.gif

Couldn't you give her a hand with those?

I was just trying to convey which size bottle - and of course if I'm around I'm the one who does it.

But when I'm not, two girls hoisting together get it done OK too, they prefer that to decanting from it sitting on the ground. . .

My way it works out to a little more than 1B per litre. What would yours come out to at 400 litres a month?

And having it delivered (up three flights of stairs no less) and not having the extra trash to deal with probably outweighs our having to fill up the fridge bottles (I keep five 1.5 flasks rotated).

55B for a case of 24, so just under 5B a liter. They deliver, and there is no trash as they pick up the old bottles.

I get the 16 liter bottles delivered to the plant twice a week, and it is much cheaper, but I like the half-liter glass bottles at the house I'm sure the QC is better.

but I like the half-liter glass bottles at the house

I'm sure the QC is better.

Well on my constricted budget I wouldn't see it as good value, but IMO a reasonable one if you've got the dosh to spare.

WRT quality I've never had ours tested or anything, but also haven't detected any significant issues.

And I'm also a believer in the benefits in living "not too clean" in order to keep the immune system strong, which many think is a bit weird I know.

• Like 1