Great Deals Vs. Things That Are More Expensive

StefanBBK

Ok, I was reading the post of "things that are more expensive here in Thailand" for too long now. How about talking of things that are less expensive or generally good deals. This might be interesting for those of us actully living in LOS.

Let me start mentioning one. Currently there are great deals on last year's models of led tv's in powermall.

And another, my local Big-C has always a good selection of foreign cheese, that is almost expired and therefore reduced greatly. I do like my cheese "ripe", not rotten of course.

And another, just got a pair of description glasses made by an optition near minburi market. I use them for driving, watch cinema etc. Total cost, including frame, 400 baht:-)

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

Everything about housing including utilities, internet... Too bad farang can't own land. Still, even renting is a bargain.

Cell phones. I pay US$125 a month for my smartphone service and I don't pay the extra for television. That price will include the phone with a 2 year contract.

I love to go to the dentist in Thailand. I am actually smiling when i walk in that door. Great value! I actually cancelled my western dental insurance 6 years ago. The money i saved on that is still a lot more then the price of all my dental work done in Thailand.

Now i call that a great deal.

Prescription eyeglasses and frames I think more expensive here.

Not in my experience. I think they are much cheaper than in the west.

Five years ago in the UK, varifocal glasses 250 UKP (12,500bht)

Last year in CM, varifocal glasses 8,000bht

Quite a lot cheaper (unless glasses prices in the UK went down significantly)

Interesting one; traditional Thai massages are astonishingly cheap in Thailand, you can easily find a place to get an hour's massage for Bt250 which is a 10th of what it would cost you back home where such services are far less prevalent. However modern Japanese massage chairs are, objectively, better or preferable in many ways and yet are much dearer in Thailand. A chair on sale for Bt150,000 in Thailand is about 50-60% more than you'd pay for the same model back home.

How about medication. Even pre prescribed drugs cost only a fraction of what i pay here in the west. For instance this year a 1 week antibiotic cure cost me B250. Coincidentally i needed another 1 week cure last month in the west and set me back E25.

Beer.biggrin.png mmmmmmmmmmmm

Beer in a shop is the same price as in the west. I have no experience with bar priceswhistling.gif

However thai whisky 40% the blue label red writing is very cheap.

Thailand doesn't produce any whisky, as far as I'm concerned. Most of the spirits they produce are actually unsuitable for human consumption.

Beer.biggrin.png mmmmmmmmmmmm

Beer in a shop is the same price as in the west. I have no experience with bar priceswhistling.gif

However thai whisky 40% the blue label red writing is very cheap.

Thailand doesn't produce any whisky, as far as I'm concerned. Most of the spirits they produce are actually unsuitable for human consumption.

Bargirls are unsuitable and not healthy for human consumption. But people get involved anyway...wink.png

Looks like you guys got a lot of "great deals".

We spent the day in Siam Park. It was a bit packed, given today was sunday.... However the great deal is that the whole day with tons of included stuff is less expensive than a premium ride in good old germany....

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

I like to go to the opticians. It's cheap, has aircon, I get served juice or other softdrinks by hot looking ladies wearing mini skirts and pumps. And the best part, you actually don't have to buy anything. biggrin.png

And you can get right in their faces and touch them and tell them it's because you can't see. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Went to the zoo the other day and got the local price wai2.gif , not that it would put a dent in the wallet. However, it's was nice to be treated equally. Was told it was due to me having a little one (my son).

140 (70 baht per adult) for the two of us....

Back in the states (Philly Zoo), would run you much, much more. coffee1.gif

Interesting one; traditional Thai massages are astonishingly cheap in Thailand, you can easily find a place to get an hour's massage for Bt250 which is a 10th of what it would cost you back home where such services are far less prevalent. However modern Japanese massage chairs are, objectively, better or preferable in many ways and yet are much dearer in Thailand. A chair on sale for Bt150,000 in Thailand is about 50-60% more than you'd pay for the same model back home.

In my neighborhood just south of Sathorne there are dozens of shops offering traditional Thai massage for between B60 and B100 an hour with aircon.

B250 per hour must be a fancy spa or in the farang ghetto areas.

The happy ending place around the corner from me is B100 per hour but of course you're supposed to tip the girl - I've never paid more than B500 for full service all up for two hours. The Thai guys spend more, but then they order in bottles, mixers, tons of food and have a party for hours in their rooms.

The best deal i got in Thailand was my divorce. B500 and 2 Leo's for the motorbike driver(witnessthumbsup.gif ). And after convincingrolleyes.gif my ex wife to sign: No money issues, the divorce was free!clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I still think it' s the best deal not only in Thailand, but in my life.

Cheerio!

• Like 1