German Tourist Drugged And Robbed At Pattaya Guest House

Rimmer

Drugging and robbery from German Tourist at Central Pattaya Guest House

german-4.jpg

PATTAYA:--A German tourist was drugged and robbed by a woman he had met moments before he returned to his Hotel after visiting a Foreign Exchange Booth on Friday.

Police were called to the Sweet Dream Place Guest House on Friday Night after a friend of the victim raised the alarm after he found him victim lying unconscious on his bed. The victim, Mr. Hartmut Herrmann aged 67 from Berlin in Germany, soon regained consciousness after his friend, Mr. Michael aged 60, with the assistance of staff at the Guest House, gained entry to the victims room and found him on the bed.

The victim claimed that earlier in the day he encountered a woman on the street as he returned from changing money at a nearby Foreign Exchange Booth. The woman, thought to be aged between 30 and 35 years, asked if she could accompany him to his room and Mr. Herrmann agreed. Inside the room she made him a cup of coffee and it is thought the drink was laced with medication which rendered him unconscious. CCTV images showed the woman whose ID card details were not logged by reception staff at the Guest House.

Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/64685/drugging-robbery-german-tourist-central-pattaya-guest-house/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-10-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Sure, it's not very nice advert for tourists in Thailand but you take your chances when you pick up a random stranger off the street.

I feel bad for him but maybe it will teach him to be a bit more savvy in future.

I've never realized how many have never heard of a bank. It's stunning. It's what they're there for.

According to article he is a mere tourist. A tourist opening bank account? The banks may not allow that. Also, he may be bringing it to save on withdrawal charges

It's possible for a "tourist" to open a bank account in Thailand. I've had two with separate Thai banks.

One even gave me an ATM card.

Banks can also sell you traveller's checks, dispense money via ATM's, etc

The fact is I never carry more than I can afford to lose and thats not much...

12,000 Euros is a lot of money, did he declare it when leaving Germany as per EU rules?

these rules on EU money are stupid in the first place, why should anyone abide by them in the first place?

he should have openend an account or hidden his safe & money better.

som nom na...

I have seen guys go with complete strangers off the street before and I have been propositioned myself.

I dont understand why you would go anywhere with a stranger especially in a foreign country.

Funny how all the druggings and robberies you read about involve large sums of money. I take these stories of large cash amounts with a grain of salt.

Edited by Tolley

Why would you keep 12,000 euros in a guest house safe in Pattaya,or any guest house,hotel safe anywhere in the world for that matter.

And leave it unlocked,yeah righto.

I agree but what I cannot work out is why say it was 12,000 Euro's if it is untrue? As I doubt if he has travel insurance to cover that amount? Maybe I am missing something? what is the gain? It's not like the local community are going to have a 'whip round' and replace your loss?

Why not use your ATM card, inform your bank that you will be traveling job done, swallow the 150 Bt ATM cost!

Still not a pleasant experience.

Edited by lizardtongue

Why would you keep 12,000 euros in a guest house safe in Pattaya,or any guest house,hotel safe anywhere in the world for that matter.

I agree but what I cannot work out is why say it was 12,000 Euro's if it is untrue? As I doubt if he has travel insurance to cover that amount? Maybe I am missing something? what is the gain? It's not like the local community are going to have a 'whip round' and replace your loss?

Why not use your ATM card, inform your bank that you will be traveling job done, swallow the 150 Bt ATM cost!

Still not a pleasant experience.

I have read many similar stories over a number of years here and it is surprising and somewhat stretching credibilty the number of times the victims have large amounts of cash on them or in their room especially when they are staying in cheap hotel accommodation.

Edited by Tolley

Going by your rationalization, does anyone know WHAT was in the safe? How reliable is this 67yr old German who picks up a complete stranger from the road in Pattaya and brings her to his room in some guesthouse without any security cameras?

Thats right, lets blame the victim, especially since we know all the facts. Does anyone really know WHO opened the safe? Did he declare his money? He might have been planing on making a big purchase, how does anyone know?

"He encountered a woman on the street as he returned from changing money at a nearby Foreign Exchange Booth."

And you would exchange 12,000 EUROS worth of Baht ...?? At a booth that too!!??? and then go off with a strange woman who JUST happened to be nearby the booth at the time or within seconds of the transaction ...?? . OMG... what rubbish all of this is...!! why do you need such a huge amount in 1 shot here in the LOS ..?? And would you even tell anybody how much you took out ..?? Pfff... a lot of BS in this case ...really !

The fact is I never carry more than I can afford to lose and thats not much...

12,000 Euros is a lot of money, did he declare it when leaving Germany as per EU rules?

these rules on EU money are stupid in the first place, why should anyone abide by them in the first place?

he should have openend an account or hidden his safe & money better.

som nom na...

The laws on money laundering are there to stop drugs dealers and tax cheats (the rot of society who take but never contribute) easily moving their ill gotten gains over seas.

Thats right, lets blame the victim, especially since we know all the facts. Does anyone really know WHO opened the safe? Did he declare his money? He might have been planing on making a big purchase, how does anyone know?

In this case yes!! Let's blame the victim cause he's not a victim but just a stupid A--hole! .. Really !

I believe it is a bit difficult to get a bank account here in Thailand, without having a work permit, or married and having an ole lady, or showing

you have a retirment visa etc etc...Those are the very first questions they ask you here; if they can speak English that is.coffee1.gif

There various hoops you have to jump over with the proper documentation to be able to even open an account. if you have an account with one

of Bangkok Banks International Branches in your own native country,you still have to provide proper documentation for the Banking Laws here

in Thailand...coffee1.gif

When I first came to Thailand, I could get a bank account because I only had a tourist visa.

It looks like that guest house has images of this woman...lets hope they nabbed the Byrd.coffee1.gif

In the guest houses I've been in at times, it is standard policy not to allow a Thai person (man or woman)

in a tourists room period. coffee1.gif

Edited by jerrysteve

"He encountered a woman on the street as he returned from changing money at a nearby Foreign Exchange Booth."

And you would exchange 12,000 EUROS worth of Baht ...?? At a booth that too!!??? and then go off with a strange woman who JUST happened to be nearby the booth at the time or within seconds of the transaction ...?? . OMG... what rubbish all of this is...!! why do you need such a huge amount in 1 shot here in the LOS ..?? And would you even tell anybody how much you took out ..?? Pfff... a lot of BS in this case ...really !

+1 BS story for sure.