Motorcyclists In Chiang Mai

muchogra

I've been driving in Chiang Mai for a week now. It seems that the motorcyclists here think either they are invulnerable to injury or death or they are willing to put their lives in the hands of the motorists.

Initially I wanted to buy a motorcycle to explore the country side. I've now changed my mind after seeing how dangerous it can be and booked a 4-door Mazda BT50 Pro instead. I booked the Mazda since I couldn't stand the wait for the Ford Ranger or the Isuzu. Furthermore, I couldn't stand the bunch of leeches raising their prices ranging from B15,000 to B25,000. The Mazda went up only B5,000. Also, I've got a good sales lady at Viriya giving me many freebies and will do all the paper work for me. I can't understand the bunch of leeches raising their prices while at the same time couldn't even deliver a car in a reasonable amount of time. What the......!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Initially I wanted to buy a motorcycle to explore the country side. I've now changed my mind after seeing how dangerous it can be

If you can ride a motorcycle then you are missing a real treat as far as exploring the countryside. Find a friend with some experience, rent a bike, and then go out together a few times to gain some confidence in the Thai traffic. Check out the GT-Rider website for tips. The traffic will begin to make more sense, appear to have more patterns, than on first encounter. The inner city traffic does require more advanced Thai skills (such as lane splitting) than does riding in the rural areas. Just ride slow and enjoy the scenery. And please don't try to ride past Worarot market on your first ride.

"If we could just get everyone to go back to the bicycles that were the main form of transport when I first visited here in 1975...."

I don't know about CM back in 1975, but back in 1969 in Bangkok, traffic was as bad or even worse than now going and returning to school.

One reason I quit considering motorcyling is that I think I have recently developed siactica (?) (pain in the left side of my buck and extends to the lower back). I may drop the bike when it happends! My daughter worked on me with acupunture in the US and I walked 40 blocks and didn't feel anything and even forgot about it for a couple of weeks Now, being back from the US for a month, this thing has come back again! It's better for me to not do motorcycling for now.

Be sure you know how to countersteer a bike. It makes it easier to ride, and may save your life some day. You can do a very fast and easy S turn to dodge something, or simply make a sharp turn when needed. This is how you make a motorcycle which weighs 5 times as much as you do dance, or it works on a bicycle.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

driving car is an arse here. driving to computer plaza, icon etc for computer hardware, oops carpark full. spent 20 mins waiting and the bloody rude driver cuts in the queue. driving to tanin market, oops carpark full again. driving to 90% of the popular eatery here, oops no proper car parking lots, had to find an alley. i would say a good majority of my regular stops have no parking lots for car

not to mention manoeuvring through the narrow lanes that are further narrowed down by parked cars at the side. with thin profile tyres you get to do pylon slalom on daily basis. except its with pot holes instead of cones

now i only drive my car to malls or place further out the city

Driving a car in this town sucks- sometimes it takes 3 traffic light changes to make it through an intersection at peak traffic hours.

Meanwhile you're sitting there, burning fuel and going no where.

Splitting the lanes with a motorbike is simple and you are not polluting or wasting time.

So true

It is really amazing how much faster you get everywhere on a bike in this town.

Not to mention parking

Of course there are times we use the truck but pretty much anything in the city we use the bike as a 1st choice.

Having always rode bikes I love it but if I could have just one thing it would be a air conditioned helmet

Some days here are super hot :)

I have realized though that a lightweight jacket like most Thais wear has its reason

To the OP I know what you mean about prices & wait times for trucks here too!

When I first started riding a HD in Thailand, a 25 year veteran gave me this advise ...

Think of Thai traffic as a flow of water. It will quickly fill any empty space.

And from my own experience earned riding on the road since 1968 - act like every other driver, both other bikes and cars and trucks, is out to kill you.

• Like 1

Agree with most of the other punters, I will always use the bike instead of the car except for special trips. If riding a bike you cannot drift off, you beed to stay focussed all the time, be suspicious of every vehicle as they often will do stupid things. Because a trafic light changes to green also doesn't mean you can go, check the red light runners before moving off. Remember that many Thais on bikes and cars don't use their indicators, they allso park and ride up the road the wrong way. The death toll for bikes is high as many simply ride dangerously and get themselves killed, the rest are cleaned up by the lunatics in cars, Fortunas, minivans, buses and trucks (the last 4 being the most aggressive).

As to the OP if he feels uncomfortable on a bike then nest not to ride one, the Mazda will get caught in traffic a bit but will be a safe and comfortable ride.

Most traffic victims are motorcyclists and they will live shorter because of the polution.

I can't argue with that however you forgot to mention that the car drivers will probably die while waiting for a car park.

Most traffic victims are motorcyclists and they will live shorter because of the polution.

That is probably true, but one would have to consider that two wheel vehicles here out number 4 wheel vehicles

by a large amount. So it is not a surprise.

One thing I have noticed riding here is that the bikers are generally much better drivers. They have a situational

awareness of what is going on around them more so than the car & truck drivers. The 4 wheel drivers many times have

seemingly no awareness what so ever of their position in a lane & randomly drift left & right.

Pollution? Unless you live in a recirculating air filtered bubble I do not think time bike riding alone will make a large difference.

Edited by mania

One thing I have noticed riding here is that the bikers are generally much better drivers. They have a situational

awareness of what is going on around them more so than the car & truck drivers.

The same goes for bikers I know back home in Australia. Comes from knowing how it feels to be on the other foot.

Agree with most of the other punters, I will always use the bike instead of the car except for special trips. If riding a bike you cannot drift off, you beed to stay focussed all the time, be suspicious of every vehicle as they often will do stupid things. Because a trafic light changes to green also doesn't mean you can go, check the red light runners before moving off. Remember that many Thais on bikes and cars don't use their indicators, they allso park and ride up the road the wrong way. The death toll for bikes is high as many simply ride dangerously and get themselves killed, the rest are cleaned up by the lunatics in cars, Fortunas, minivans, buses and trucks (the last 4 being the most aggressive).

As to the OP if he feels uncomfortable on a bike then nest not to ride one, the Mazda will get caught in traffic a bit but will be a safe and comfortable ride.

It's not only the Thais who seem to drive badly in CM; it's also the farangs. I drive a car, motorbike, and ride a bicycle and I have seen any number of lunatic motorbike drivers who are farangs: usually without helmets, sometimes without license plates, speeding and weaving through traffic lanes. There seems to be almost no enforcement (police) on the road to nab these kind of people and until there is, this will continue.

Also, the CMU students are amongst the worst drivers (of any vehicle). It's funny to enter their campus entrances which feature a sign urging 100% helmet compliance only to see 100% of the students NOT wearing helmets. The university is complicit because to stop this all it need do is have its security guards not allow anyone on a bike without a campus to enter or exit. That happens in Bangkok where that law is rigidly enforced.

Also, what's up with all the vehicles on the road in CM without plates? It's obvious that lots of these cars are NOT new and even if they were new they should have red plates. Where are the traffic police?

Edited by TheVicar

When I first started riding a HD in Thailand, a 25 year veteran gave me this advise ...

Think of Thai traffic as a flow of water. It will quickly fill any empty space.

And from my own experience earned riding on the road since 1968 - act like every other driver, both other bikes and cars and trucks, is out to kill you.

Thanks for this input -- I am here since only 2 weeks and feel that those advice are most important.... driving a motorbike in chiang mai is the most dangerous thing I ever... did and I played all the most dangerous sports in canada !!!!!

a motorcyclist would live longer than a walking pedestrian do to pollution, a pedestrian spends a longer time walking through it and their heart rate and breathing are faster do to more physical movement.

A Farang on a motorcycle stopped to ask directions from me on our estate.

He had his helmet on his elbow. I gave him the directions and then asked him why he wasn't wearing his helmet. It's OK as we are on only on an estate was his reply.

I guess the roads are softer in estates than outside?

I had a mercedes s 500 allocated to me and i used it twice in 2 years:) and now all the cars in company car pool ranging from trucks to vios to nissan but i very very rarely use one of them. Mostly for company trips as it is mandatory by the company for me to use a car as a managing director.

I hate cars. That plasticy smell that cage feeling. I feel same as the tigers in a zoo. A caged animal:) besides i get sleepy with auto tranny. So boring man.

On top of these traffic. I better kill myself than be in a car during rush hour traffic in Bangkok or elsewhere. What a waste of time. Look for parking wait for parking at the malls etc. No flexibilty you cannot stop where you want.

What a burden and weight a car is especially in Asia.

Moreover, tax, maintanence waiting days for service and cars are expensive to buy and ride. More pollution too starting from manufacturing process to driving.

Besides it is never dangerous to ride a bike in Thailand. Or it is dangerous to drive anywhere in this world. Drivers here knows how to handle a biker better than our western countries.

So op you better say: 'i dont have guts to drive a bike so i bought a car':D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by loserlazer

I had a mercedes s 500 allocated to me and i used it twice in 2 years:) and now all the cars in company car pool ranging from trucks to vios to nissan but i very very rarely use one of them. Mostly for company trips as it is mandatory by the company for me to use a car as a managing director.

I hate cars. That plasticy smell that cage feeling. I feel same as the tigers in a zoo. A caged animal:) besides i get sleepy with auto tranny. So boring man.

On top of these traffic. I better kill myself than be in a car during rush hour traffic in Bangkok or elsewhere. What a waste of time. Look for parking wait for parking at the malls etc. No flexibilty you cannot stop where you want.

What a burden and weight a car is especially in Asia.

Moreover, tax, maintanence waiting days for service and cars are expensive to buy and ride. More pollution too starting from manufacturing process to driving.

Besides it is never dangerous to ride a bike in Thailand. Or it is dangerous to drive anywhere in this world. Drivers here knows how to handle a biker better than our western countries.

So op you better say: 'i dont have guts to drive a bike so i bought a car'biggrin.png

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Take care on the roads out there. "Pride comes before a fall" whistling.gif

A Farang on a motorcycle stopped to ask directions from me on our estate.

He had his helmet on his elbow. I gave him the directions and then asked him why he wasn't wearing his helmet. It's OK as we are on only on an estate was his reply.

I guess the roads are softer in estates than outside?

I drove behind a farang on a more heavy motorcycle today he just escaped a crash but don't worry, his helmet was tight on his buddyseat....

Many falang behave as stupid as Thai from who they emphasize their stupidity.

"One thing I have noticed riding here is that the bikers are generally much better drivers."

Come on man.you cant be serious. Car and motorsai drivers drive both worse as we are talking about Thai.

And many falang motorcycle drivers take more risks because they are speeding or/and wearing no helmet.

Be sure you know how to countersteer a bike.

I was first taught this rule in the 70's when racing.

Having grown up racing I was already a proficient rider but,,, naturally.

I had never hear this explained till the mid 1970's by a great teacher name Keith Code

It is not in fact something you learn to do because anyone who rides a two wheel vehicle does it already.

They just don't KNOW they are doing it.

Understanding it by hearing it explained can save your life though. Because in a split second decision your brain

will KNOW it & not be over ridden by fear & the reflex to turn left for instance to go left.

To sum it up simply it is this.

On a two wheel vehicle you push the bar forward for the direction you want to turn to.

Not pull as your mind would think.

Meaning to go right you push the right bar away from you.

Your mind would think immediately no that cannot be because if I push the right bar forward I am turning left.

But on a two wheel vehicle that is what initiates the right turn.

It is basically causing the bike to fall into a right turn.

Anyway smile.png

The best advice I can give is go out tomorrow to a nice parking lot or empty area & try it. See & prove it to your mind.

Go 5-10 miles an hour & gently push the right handlebar forward. You will have initiated a right turn.

Now push the left bar forward & you will initiate a left turn.

After all bikes are not steered by turning left or right at all. Except for when going very very very slowly.

You turn a bike by initiated a turn via counter steering then you lean the bike to complete/continue the turn

while the wheel is actually pointing straight ahead.

Most folks already know how to ride & do it instinctively, They have to as it is the only way to

turn a bike going above 1 mile an hour.

But KNOWING this in your mind can save you in an emergency reflex situation.

"One thing I have noticed riding here is that the bikers are generally much better drivers."

Come on man.you cant be serious. Car and motorsai drivers drive both worse as we are talking about Thai.

And many falang motorcycle drivers take more risks because they are speeding or/and wearing no helmet.

No I am quite serious " In my experience & opinion" I am speaking of Thai folks here.

The bike riders are more intuitive & better drivers than their four wheel Thai counterparts.

Not surprisingly as many are on bikes soon after birth.

Cars on the other hand many have had no real experience with yet they are allowed to buy & drive.

In fact some of the very worst car/truck drivers I have seen have red plates.

Same goes for Thai bike passengers. Due to experience they know how to sit

without upsetting balance. They lean with the bike not against it.

Edited by mania