? Car Rental Scams ?

yellow1red1

This is a legitimate problem everywhere, particularly if you are renting from a cut-rate company. I don’t know about Thailand (I have never rented here) but I rent several times a year in the US and you (the renter) are responsible for any loss or damage. If you are not insured and the car is wrecked or stolen, you are financially responsible.

The best thing to do is walk around the car before you leave and make sure any damage is noted on the rental contract. US companies (at least the ones I use) have an area on the form for this. It does not hurt to take a few photos as well.

Again, if you rent a car, you are libel for any damages that are not noted on the rental agreement.

I'm sure it happens all the time in areas like Pattaya where there are seemingly millions of car rental places, probably none of which have proper insurance.

When I rented I did so from Hertz for a very low daily price, plus full 100% damage waiver for 200B/day. I would not do otherwise in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter, though in the UK when I rent I take out separate excess insurance that is much cheaper.

I'm sure it happens all the time in areas like Pattaya where there are seemingly millions of car rental places, probably none of which have proper insurance.

When I rented I did so from Hertz for a very low daily price, plus full 100% damage waiver for 200B/day. I would not do otherwise in Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter, though in the UK when I rent I take out separate excess insurance that is much cheaper.

tnx much,

Normally not an issue when renting cars (as opposed to motorcycles) but be aware of fly-by-the-night local operators who rent out substandard cars. As another poster has suggested, take photos of pre-existing damage and point out all such damage when making the vehicle inspection.

^^ Yeah!

I used a digital camera to record all. Whoops - Forgot the tires which were severely worn. Two failed at once. Took a lot of time but after a year got my money back.

BTW move aside the flash ad on the hood or roof, may reveal scratches