Is The Honda Freed A Major Honda Fail?

thaicruze

Completely different cars in terms of build and completely different price points...

I read a user review where it said anyone buying one was an idiot! You'd probably find same about the Avanza too

Sent from Android, please excuse errors in type or judgement.

Wikipedia:

Japan Predecessor Honda Mobilio Class Compact MPV Body style 5-door 7/8-passenger minivan Layout Front-engine design, front-wheel drive / four-wheel drive Engine 1.5 L L15A i-VTEC I4 Transmission CVT or 5-speed automatic Wheelbase 2,740 mm (107.9 in) Length 4,215 mm (165.9 in) Width 1,700 mm (66.9 in) Height 1,735 mm (68.3 in) Related Honda Jazz/Fit (2nd gen.)

Honda City (5th gen.)

Honda Insight (2nd gen.)

The Honda Freed is a Mini MPV produced by the Japanese automaker Honda since 2008. The vehicle is a replacement for the Honda Mobilio. The Freed is based on the Jazz/Fit platform. Three different versions of the Freed are available: a seven-seat version which features captain’s seats in the second row; an eight-seat version; and a five-seat version. Honda also stated that a wheelchair-accessible model is offered in addition to versions with a side lift-up seat and passenger lift-up seat. The Freed is equipped with a 1.5L engine with 118 horsepower, which is the same engine that is used in the Honda Jazz/City, but the engine used has more torque. For example, the Honda Freed's engine has 118 Horsepower and 148 Nm of torque, while the Honda Jazz/City has 120 Horsepower with 145 Nm of torque.

On the 21st March 2009, the Freed was launched in Indonesia, the second country where the Freed was released after Japan. It is assembled at Honda's Karawang Plant and exported to other South East Asian markets. The Freed's ground clearance is 20mm higher. For the Indonesian version the Honda Freed use the 6-seater layout and a 5-speed automatic gearbox instead the CVT transmission in the Japanese Domestic Market version.

In September 2009, it was announced that a hybrid version would be available by 2011.[1]

On 22 April 2010,the Freed was launched in Malaysia, the fifth country where the Freed was released after Japan, Indonesia, Thailand and Singapore. Honda Malaysia targets to sell 1,200 units a year.

On 23rd Jan, 2011, the Freed was officially launched in Hong Kong. Unlike other non-Japanese market models, all Freeds sold in Hong Kong are manufactured in Japan and seat 6.[2]

A face-lifted Freed was launched in the Japanese market on October 28, 2011 securing sales of over 20,000 units in its first two weeks on sale, of which 63% were of the hybrid model

Completely different cars in terms of build and completely different price points...

I read a user review where it said anyone buying one was an idiot! You'd probably find same about the Avanza too

Is the Avanza complete garbage or what? I sat in a Freed at the dealer. Didn't like it one bit.

One interesting sales point for the freed is that it has a version in Japan specially made for people with disabilities. Rear lowering shocks and a built in ramp and wheelchair anchors. Unfortunutately they will not sell it here and with the number of disabled and aged people here and the way people car for their aged parents would I think have sold well.

Edited by harrry

Is the Avanza complete garbage or what? I sat in a Freed at the dealer. Didn't like it one bit.

It is. Apparently very weak in the roof, never crash-tested in Europe, gas guzzler with an underpowered motor and a heavy wallowing on highway. Probably only good for city driving.

Isn't there a long waiting list for the Freed ?

And am I mistaken or is the Avanza rear wheel drive ? It looks like it has an axle at the back from behind. See them quite regularly.

It is indeed a RWD. They are very popular as cheap 7-seaters for families... But not advised on highways!

• Like 1

And am I mistaken or is the Avanza rear wheel drive ? It looks like it has an axle at the back from behind. See them quite regularly.

It is indeed a RWD. They are very popular as cheap 7-seaters for families... But not advised on highways!

Death trap?

Death trap?

Something like that.

Read: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2261861

The pics are very eloquent on what happens when the car flips over.

And on our own board: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/534335-toyota-avanza-or-pay-more-for-a-honda-freed/

The older advanza, even with auto, would roar its guts out even at 100 km/h - well over 3000 rpm at this speed. Very strange gearing for an auto.

Heard, not sure it true both the old and the new ones around Phuket have a problem with the hill ??

The older advanza, even with auto, would roar its guts out even at 100 km/h - well over 3000 rpm at this speed. Very strange gearing for an auto.

Is that not rather an undersized motor for the weight/size of the car? It is generally described as a gas guzzler.

overpriced Freed, well it is a Honda, have friends that looked and bought the Proton Exora + lot cheaper....... now has a 1.6 turbo engine..

people will buy the Freed because of the H on the front.

and it has those fancy sliding doors, have to pay a premium for them!!

I've just heard the Freed has been reduced from 1.2M Baht to 800k Baht and you get the 100,000 baht refund - no wonder I'm seeing more on the roads however it will be phased out as an obsolete model very soon.

I've just heard the Freed has been reduced from 1.2M Baht to 800k Baht and you get the 100,000 baht refund - no wonder I'm seeing more on the roads however it will be phased out as an obsolete model very soon.

Will it be replaced ? Appears there will be a MPV Brio made in Indonesia, did see talk of the SUV Jazz......... Jazz/Fit Twist, made in Brazil and high sales could be also made in Thailand for the Asian market ?

Some Spy shots about, showing the new 2014 Jazz, naybe will be a MPV/SUV of that.?

Death trap?

Doesnt matter, its a Honda so its good! Just ask any Thai person!

Edited by eezergood

Death trap?

Doesnt matter, its a Honda so its good! Just ask any Thai person!

We were talking about the Toyota Avanza in that respect...-_-

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App