What S The Best Choice For Riding In The Country Side ...

pbas400

hello

i dont know what s the best bike for maintenance, and easy for riding in Thailand, and going Laos and Cambodia.

Honda CBR 250 ABS seems a good bike, but maybe not easy for Cambodia/Laos....what s happen if i have a problem, dont have Honda Shop for this model (only in Thailand)

same story with CRF 250L

is it possible to ride with a Yamaha 125 nouvo sx ? have enough power for mountain ?

or Keeway 200 RV...but for reliability, i m not sure ...

not easy to choose a good bike for travel

(i rent so many motorbike in Asia...between 125 to 650 cc, and ride everyday with 500 cc in Europe)

what s the best choice ?

thanks

up to you.. you have to think...what problems will you have with a new or nearly new bike??? not much.

i would have no problem taking either of the Honda bikes to the countries mentioned.. just have a Thai honda bike shops number in case you HAVE to order parts... SUMET cycles speak english.

The previous generation CBR 150 was indestructible. Simple carb'ed design with more power than 95% of the other bikes out there. Anything short of catastrophic engine failure can be fixed by just about any Somchai out there.

Really however, any of the big 4 Jap bike manufacturers make pretty much indestructable bikes if they're not hotted up. The biggest issue you'd have going with a bigger bike than the one i mentioned would be tyres. It would be fairly easy to source similar to the not much bigger than Honda Wave tyres to get back on the road.

Hi,

Have done a lot of travelling by motor bike all over the world (long Story !!!) I would suggest you did not get an automatic bike, sometimes going up or Down mountains you need to use the gears to change down to slow down without using the brakes all the time and the gears again to drop down quickly to get you Up steep slopes.Also good for getting you out of the sh*t.

A BMW F650GS is perfect except for the Very high price,how ever as an alternative !! ----

For one person I could suggest some like this cheap modified Honda Sonic.

1: manual gear change

2: Higher handle bars far more suitable/comfortable

3:parts very easy to get anywhere and cheap.

4:can get top box fitted ,

5:wider wheels/tyres and custom made seat for comfort over long distance.

Otherwise have a great trip !!!

post-31104-0-69392400-1351651406_thumb.j

post-31104-0-73730400-1351651421_thumb.j

Edited by petertucker48

For me there is only the one bike. you can jump on it and ride the length of thailand. it is comfortable, reliable and any small town somchai mechanic can fix it if it ever does break down and parts are readily available. The 200cc Honda Phantom. thumbsup.gif Not the fastest of bikes nor the most powerful but for munching up the miles then you can't beat it. stick a back box on it and some saddle bags and away you go. wink.png

• Like 1

go for cbr250.

it never had a problem for nearly 20,000 km not even a glitch apart from burst tire a couple of times.

it is ultra reliable and even OK for some mild mountain roads.

but if you will go always off the trail then crf 250 is a perfect fit.

Edited by loserlazer

Interesting question. A BMW 650 would be great .... but so expensive and I'd be worried about security for overnight parking .... you'd need to sleep with it! I like my RKV 200, but I've not seen any in Vietnam or Cambodia so I'd be worried about spares availability. Same with the CRF 250 which is a bit new.

For parts availability and local servicing; a Honda Wave must be unbeatable. But as others have said - unless you are doing some very long tours I don't think you'll need many parts or servicing so just ride something you like.

Thanks

last year i did a trip on CBR 250, feel a bit tall for the bike (1m88) .... but nice look and perfect bike...but not sure the bike will be ok on Laos/Cambodia roads.

I rent also 650 Kawa ER6, but i dont like (i did a big trip around CM, North, Phayao, Nan...)

KLX 250 seems fun...but not confortable.

i did a big trip with 125 wave and that s was fun

so why not Yamaha 125 Nuevo or Keeway.... no idea....i need to do a road test

Laos in particular has really bad roads in parts, I'd got for a CRF250. Put a comfort saddle on it and it should be perfect. It's brand new so you won't have any issues.

Sonic is great for hopping around the woods but I can't imagine comfortable long distance.

For me there is only the one bike. you can jump on it and ride the length of thailand. it is comfortable, reliable and any small town somchai mechanic can fix it if it ever does break down and parts are readily available. The 200cc Honda Phantom. thumbsup.gif Not the fastest of bikes nor the most powerful but for munching up the miles then you can't beat it. stick a back box on it and some saddle bags and away you go. wink.png

Agreed. Recently saw a Phantom set up for serious touring. Had extra large saddlebags (indicator lights had been relocated to make room), safety bar, well-padded custom seat w/ built-in backrest, driving lights, large horn, etc. Had 47K on the odometer, I'd expected more.

• Like 1

I'd not thought about the Phantom for long distance .... but they do look good for comfort and they seem to be bullet proof. But what are they like on poor road surfaces or light off-road?

Personally I hate the Phantoms. The driving position puts strain on my arse :D

Also you cannot buy a new one now. Closest new bike is the Lifan 250.

sent from my ..................#

If you are thinking of going on trips to laos and cambodia, go for the crf250. The roads in cambodia and laos are not so good, so a dirt-bike would do fine. I live part time in phnom penh, and there is lots of dirt-bike shops around, so if anything brake you can get the parts fast. If you looking for a smaller bike, a old honda dream will do you good. This is the most-selling bike in cambodia, and have been like that for the last 10-15 years. Yamaha is not a big brand in cambodia, and I think they only got 2 shops in cambodia, so parts can be a problem if you go to rural area of the country.

Sorry for my poor english.

• Like 1

Gents.

I live up in NE Isaan and my weapon of choice is a KLX 250. This is the most suitable bike for many reasons, it does however require compromises such as refueling often and some comfort. You will find many roads which will be newly tarmacked that over a brow of a hill or around the corner deteriorate into gravel, sand and potholes. Even hitting this at 40mph requires the bike to be able to perform, let alone the rider. Luggage is readily available, I have a small tank bag, Touratech top box and will be bringing in Kreiga bags with me next week. Being creative with the setup (and a little trial and error) has brought results. I ride 2 up, the good lady fits on just fine and we do cover big distances with ease.

Whichever bike you choose is down to the rider’s preference, factoring in abilities, conditions, distances, assistance. All combined to produce the main reason we ride, the fun factor.

post-122477-0-03039100-1351858828_thumb.

Ride safe my friends.

The roads in Cambodia or Laos aren't as bad as what they used to be. A CBR 250 is a good choice along with the CRF250, the new CBR150 is also a good choice, it looks almost identical to the 250, it loses out a bit in power to the 250 but still cruises along the flats at 120-130kph compared to say 140-150kph, but it is even more economical fuel wise, which is important if you are travelling long distances. In the mountains it still performs well enough.

Edited by macknife

Honda Tena 5-spd clutch.

You can pick them up for about 5,000-6,000 baht, any mechanic in country side or town can fix them. The parts are still readily available, and the whole engine can be rebuilt for a thousand baht - probably the whole bike for less than 2,000. They have plenty of power to cruise at 80 or 90 for hours, which is probably as fast as I would go on Thai roads, and they do have dual disk brakes.

Edited by ClareQuilty

The previous generation CBR 150 was indestructible. Simple carb'ed design with more power than 95% of the other bikes out there. Anything short of catastrophic engine failure can be fixed by just about any Somchai out there.

Really however, any of the big 4 Jap bike manufacturers make pretty much indestructable bikes if they're not hotted up. The biggest issue you'd have going with a bigger bike than the one i mentioned would be tyres. It would be fairly easy to source similar to the not much bigger than Honda Wave tyres to get back on the road.

+1 about tires, other than the ubiquitious OEM IRCs

The roads in Cambodia or Laos aren't as bad as what they used to be. A CBR 250 is a good choice along with the CRF250, the new CBR150 is also a good choice, it looks almost identical to the 250, it loses out a bit in power to the 250 but still cruises along the flats at 120-130kph compared to say 140-150kph, but it is even more economical fuel wise, which is important if you are travelling long distances. In the mountains it still performs well enough.

is CBR 150 same same the 250 (except the power) ? price seems good.

Interesting question. A BMW 650 would be great .... but so expensive and I'd be worried about security for overnight parking .... you'd need to sleep with it! I like my RKV 200, but I've not seen any in Vietnam or Cambodia so I'd be worried about spares availability. Same with the CRF 250 which is a bit new.

For parts availability and local servicing; a Honda Wave must be unbeatable. But as others have said - unless you are doing some very long tours I don't think you'll need many parts or servicing so just ride something you like.

This may be a little off topic, seven years ago I bought a new Honda wave 125 from my local dealer, I would estimate at least 12 punctures before the bike had done 5000 Kilos. about a year ago I bought a new Yamaha Fino again from my local dealer, it has now done almost 5000 Kilos, and has never had any punctures so far. I e-mailed Honda about this and this being Thailand, it was not answered. may I finally point out that neither of the bikes was ever ridden off road.

is CBR 150 same same the 250 (except the power) ? price seems good.

Pretty much yes, they are the same size. Apart from the decals and the longer exhaust of the 250, to the untrained eye it's hard to tell the difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a little Wave 125 (carb model from 2006) I bought off a Japanese guy who rode it all over Laos & Cambodia. He bought it new & did a few mods - rear disc brake, built a luggage frame for saddle bags, dirt tyres, upswept exhaust, re-located air filters. He carried extra fuel nearly everywhere he went, as well as a strainer for fuel purchased in tiny villages. He had no problems other than a few punctures. Good luck with the trip. I envy you.

I have a little Wave 125 (carb model from 2006) I bought off a Japanese guy who rode it all over Laos & Cambodia. He bought it new & did a few mods - rear disc brake, built a luggage frame for saddle bags, dirt tyres, upswept exhaust, re-located air filters. He carried extra fuel nearly everywhere he went, as well as a strainer for fuel purchased in tiny villages. He had no problems other than a few punctures. Good luck with the trip. I envy you.

i think Honda wave dont have tubeless, so i can understand the bike have punctures many times , more than normal

• 1 month later...

all is depending on what luxury and comfort you want to travel. do not go penny wise pound foolish! when you buy a bike you can sell it afterwards easy and when you do not have the budget you can rent. for long term you can make some pretty good deals. i tried several bikes around northern Thailand and my love went to the kawa versys 650abs. this bike has it all! comfort, easy steering, good road behavior, good suspension, great power and modern electronic fuel injection which makes any drive downhill peace of cake. When you do not use the accelerator almost in any gear it goes down in comfort slow speed without any breaking. you just have to learn to drive on the refs. also for corners. when you eventually know how to drive this bike it is totally comfort and does not make you tired at all. any hole in the road with almost any depth, you just can drive through without feeling disturbed. a great sensation to drive! also the bike is affordable; cost 289k THB. fully optioned incl. top box etc is about 350k THB. great resale value after your trip. when you rent a bike long long term you might get a very attractive price. i don't know how long you want but check it out with some local rental companies. you should deal that you make an insurance contract yourself which allow you to drive through thailand, cambodja and laos. cost for 1st class insurance is 15k THB per year.

when you decide to go by scooter do not choose anything else than a honda PCX 150. it is comfortable and safe and strong.

Edited by skippie999

all is depending on what luxury and comfort you want to travel. do not go penny wise pound foolish! when you buy a bike you can sell it afterwards easy and when you do not have the budget you can rent. for long term you can make some pretty good deals. i tried several bikes around northern Thailand and my love went to the kawa versys 650abs. this bike has it all! comfort, easy steering, good road behavior, good suspension, great power and modern electronic fuel injection which makes any drive downhill peace of cake. When you do not use the accelerator almost in any gear it goes down in comfort slow speed without any breaking. you just have to learn to drive on the refs. also for corners. when you eventually know how to drive this bike it is totally comfort and does not make you tired at all. any hole in the road with almost any depth, you just can drive through without feeling disturbed. a great sensation to drive! also the bike is affordable; cost 289k THB. fully optioned incl. top box etc is about 350k THB. great resale value after your trip. when you rent a bike long long term you might get a very attractive price. i don't know how long you want but check it out with some local rental companies. you should deal that you make an insurance contract yourself which allow you to drive through thailand, cambodja and laos. cost for 1st class insurance is 15k THB per year.

when you decide to go by scooter do not choose anything else than a honda PCX 150. it is comfortable and safe and strong.

A versys doesn't cost 289k anymore, try 319k

A 15k insurance policy is worthless outside Thailand (even in Thailand it pays only175k max on a theft,)

You could spend a lot more than 350k if you want all the extras, try 450k

A pcx150 is one of the worst stock seats I've ever sat on But comfort is subjective

If you're worried about the price, a cheaper 2nd hand bike may be better or at least less worry about theft in remote areas

Edited by YipYipYa123

I think it depends how tall you are, I am 6 foot and a Wave would kill me, but if you are under say 5' 10" a 125 Wave is unbeatable, CBR150 if you want a bit more go.

I recently did a trip with wife and a little luggage on a Phantom and even though it was quite comfortable, safe on big fat tyres, on mountain roads I was in first gear, steeper she would have been running behind.

Power is quite important, without it on mountain roads in ain't fun and as someone else mentioned forget autos unless you want to come back dead, which unfortunately excludes the PCX.

Don't carry too much stuff either, pants, toothbrush and mine detector....