Thai Army Chief Bars Soldiers Joining Any Political Rally

webfact

Army chief bars soldiers joining political rally

By Digital Media

20121031132639.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 31 - Army chief Prayuth Chan-ocha warned Thailand’s rank and file soldiers Wednesday that they will face disciplinary action if they participate in any political rally.

Although soldiers have the civil right to take part in a political rally, it is considered a violation of military discipline and their superiors' orders if they join political events.

"Any soldier found involved in any political rally will face disciplinary action which can result in being dismissed from military service," Gen Prayuth said. "Commanders will also be held responsible if their subordinates are caught taking part in any political gathering."

The army chief commented in response to news reports that Kwanchai Praipana, a key leader of the Red Shirt ‘Love Udon’ group will mobilise supporters to rally against any further anti-government demonstrations led by retired Gen Boonlert Kaewprasit of the Pitak Siam group.

Pitak Siam staged a mass rally Sunday at the Royal Turf Club in Bangkok's Nang Loeng district which they claimed drew a large number of participants as many as 20,000, but which police said amounted to 8,000 persons.

Gen Prayuth urged the public to help monitor whether the rival groups gathering are peaceful as earlier promised. The public, he said, should not support any group which violates the law and resorts to violence. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-10-31

Although soldiers have the civil right to take part in a political rally, it is considered a violation of military discipline and their superiors' orders if they join political events.

Which one is it then?

Read!

Any person has the CIVIL right to take part in a politial rally, also a soldier.

However, being a soldier, there are other rules and laws governing your behaviour, in or out of uniform.

Hence why it is considred a breach of military discipline AND orders from a superior.

Sorry, but that is NOT what he says.

Although soldiers have the civil right to take part in a political rally...

It says not "if they were civilians" it says they have the civil right...civil right as in human- right!

And then he says, if they would join a demonstration, they are contradicting orders.

I am with rkidlad: make your mind up, man!

They either have the right ...meaning orders by superiors can not take away that right....or they don't!

Which one is it then?

Read!

Any person has the CIVIL right to take part in a politial rally, also a soldier.

However, being a soldier, there are other rules and laws governing your behaviour, in or out of uniform.

Hence why it is considred a breach of military discipline AND orders from a superior.

It says not "if they were civilians" it says they have the civil right...civil right as in human- right!

And then he says, if they would join a demonstration, they are contradicting orders.

They either have the right ...meaning orders by superiors can not take away that right....or they don't!

Thank you. It's exactly what I meant.

It's like my work telling me I can join a rally. It's my right and it's not illegal. But at the same time, if you do join a rally, you will be fired.

Can I or can't I join a rally? What's with the ambiguity?

very strange....maybe he should also ban to participate in any political party or government.

That would remove his boss...

The boss of the Army has a boss?

The Defense Minister....OK it can be argued if the Defense Minister is his boss....most probably not.

Which one is it then?

Read!

Thank you. It's exactly what I meant.

It's like my work telling me I can join a rally. It's my right and it's not illegal. But at the same time, if you do join a rally, you will be fired.

Can I or can't I join a rally? What's with the ambiguity?

Well most probably he got ordered to forbid it.

So he told that soldiers have that civil right but he don't care about it, he still forbid it because he can do that. At least till the first asks the constitutional court.

• Like 1

Which one is it then?

Many civil rights are routinely suspended in military service. In or out of uniform, on base or off.

very strange....maybe he should also ban to participate in any political party or government.

That would remove his boss...

The boss of the Army has a boss?

The Defense Minister....OK it can be argued if the Defense Minister is his boss....most probably not.

i was being facetious. I guess he does have a guy In a suit that he tolerates.

Which one is it then?

Read!

civil rights and human rights are distinctly different. Civil rights can and are overridden in certain jobs...

Being my (much appreciated, I know) Dutch uncle again, I'd say that any person currently enlisted should be able to take part in political rallies, BUT in civilian dress only! Same goes for people in the Police force.

Now just give it a thought. Would the company you work for appreciate to see you in the front of a protest march while you are clearly identifiable by dress, badge, etc. as being an employee of company XYZ ?

Being my (much appreciated, I know) Dutch uncle again, I'd say that any person currently enlisted should be able to take part in political rallies, BUT in civilian dress only! Same goes for people in the Police force.

Now just give it a thought. Would the company you work for appreciate to see you in the front of a protest march while you are clearly identifiable by dress, badge, etc. as being an employee of company XYZ ?

And even if they are in civilian clothing, if they address a crowd, they should do so as a civilian.

And even if they are in civilian clothing, if they address a crowd, they should do so as a civilian.

Correct. Maybe I should have put more emphasise on 'speaking for oneself' rather than explicitly or implicitly for an organisation or (just) others.wai.gif

Correct. Maybe I should have put more emphasise on 'speaking for oneself' rather than explicitly or implicitly for an organisation or (just) others.wai.gif

No problem

I don't know what the present situation is these days but in my day, (many many years ago), if convicted in a court of law, a UK serviceman was also charged with bringing the service into disrepute when he returned to his unit.

I spilt coffee on my keyboard once about 10 years ago when I read that in order to combat a crime wave, some top cop ordained that no officer below the rank of Colonel would be permitted to play golf. I bet that struck fear in the hearts of the criminal fraternity.

I've never understood why they keep their police/army ranks when they've left the forces (unless they retired).

Truly bizarre isn't it.

Beyond that, didn't the army man at the protest on the weekend associate or say that a coup was required?

The role of the army in this country is basically unique other than of all places, except Turkey.

Edited by Thai at Heart

good, because besides the fact that military men should be neutral in their country's politics, we all certainly know who's rallies they'd be joining.

So you happen to know the political allegiance of all Thai Army personal .. Wow ain't you the clever one...

Quick question .. shouldn't the Police be the same .. neutral I mean?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

good, because besides the fact that military men should be neutral in their country's politics, we all certainly know who's rallies they'd be joining.

So you happen to know the political allegiance of all Thai Army personal .. Wow ain't you the clever one...

Yes of course

is that what i said? if it's not obvious to you going by history who's side the army seem to be on... then, Wow ain't you the clever one...

quick answer.... yes.

Edited by nurofiend

The General needs to join the 21st Century with reasonable guidelines, eg.

Freedom Of Expression

The right of all citizens to express their feelings freely and openly has only those limitations necessary to protect the rights of society. Soldiers have the same basic rights. These rights must, however, be consistent with good order and discipline and national security.

Demonstrating

Soldiers may participate in demonstrations if they do NOT:

Do so during duty hours.

Soldiers participating during duty hours may be considered AWOL.

Do so while in uniform. Soldiers in uniform can give the appearance that the Army sponsors or approves of the demonstration.

Do so while on post.

Do so while in a foreign country.

Create a breach of law and order such as blocking traffic or assaulting police.

Do so when violence is likely to result.

Expressing Opinions On Political Subjects

Soldiers do not lose the right to express opinions on all political subjects and candidates. Soldiers may not, however, use "official authority or influence for the purpose of interfering with an election or affecting the course of its outcome". Therefore, as a commander, you may not campaign among your subordinates for any political party or candidate or distribute any literature published by one.

First, the "Army chief bars soldiers joining political rally", after the "Thai Army Chief Confirms No Coup" and the "Army Chief confirms no revolution", all being done at a rally podium with reporters looking on and the government listening.

Hmm. Methinks he is saying "Do what I say, and not what I do."