Thai Gossip.......

theblether

> dont come here

A little late for that don't you think, as I have already been here for more than 35 years.wink.png

Has TV really been around that long?

It wasn't really clear which "here" he meant so I chose Thailand but you are right he could have meant TV as well.smile.png

Well my mum always told me do what you think is right and never mind what people say, there are always going to be critical people in the world that need to find something to criticize, they're not the ones actually getting things done.

But I agree with the OP that slagging people off behind their back is shameful and often very destructive, not least of the sense of community. Brings chickens' habit of pecking a group-selected outcast to death - hence "pecking order".

• Like 1

The only place I have problems with gossips is here online and they are all farang.sick.gifcoffee1.gif

dont come here

A little late for that don't you think, as I have already been here for more than 35 years.wink.png

and still coming to listen to gossip if you dont like it then dont respond ..do you need a medal for coming here for 35 years ....so you really come here for the gossip . if you didn't then you would pick your threads to talk on.

The only place I have problems with gossips is here online and they are all farang.sick.gifcoffee1.gif

Lucky you. You must live in the only inhabited place on earth where there isn't any gossip.

Cue reply; Yes the thais gossip but its never a problem with their gossipinglaugh.png

• Like 1

One tgf was accosted by one of her friends to say that she and her mates had seen me taking a girl to our house in East Pattaya. Gave exact dates and times etc. Tgf was very angry and asked me how I could have done such a thing to her. I had no answer, as we were talking on Skype and I was offshore Italy at the time all this was supposed to be happening. I also pointed out that she had driven me to the airport to catch my flight, which just happened to be the day before my supposed indiscretion. That was my final fling with her refusal to disbelieve anything her Thai friends wound her up about

So now that particular tgf is on her tod for believing others stupid talk.

thai women always believe what their friends tell them, in fact thai's seem to always belive what other thai's tell them that is how the are able to cheat each other so easy

Two thai girls, "best friends" at that time, were in a relationship with two brothers, both living in thailand. Jackpot for those girls, to find 20-something young and attractive farangs with online jobs that allowed them to have a luxury lifestyle.

For some reason I will never understand, one of the girl started spreading nasty gossip about her friend. Why would she want the other couple to break up? Maybe to introduce the heart broken brother to another "best friend"? No reason to be jealous here.

Anyway her plan didn't work, both couple are still together, the brothers are still good friends, but obviously both girls haven't talked to each other for years.

Yesterday my g/f's cousin went back home to their village yesterday morning. This cousin had been made welcome in my humble abode on several occasions. I'd even given the cousin a lift in the car up to the village recently when the g/f wanted to see her parents. Not a word of thanks.

Within 24 hours of being home in her village this cousin went to my g/f's parents and started gossiping ( telling tales ) about myself and the g/f. The parents were on the phone this evening to make sure everything was okay and to check on these tales. Luckily I get on well with the parents and also the g/f soon put the truth to this gossip.

I do know that cousin is in the bad books with the parents and deep sh*t when my g/f goes back home next time and they meet.

This particular younger cousin would have done a whole lot better keeping her vicious mouth shut but it seems she was trying to divert the parents from the truth of a recent event. That even being that she skipped out of the rental accommodation that my g/f paid the deposit on for her - a deposit she has since lost. So the cousin is in double sh*t now whistling.gif

At least one gossip / tale teller is going to get her come-uppance biggrin.png

Maybe that is the point of gossip, especially malicious gossip, to divert the real truth and create a scenario of smoke and mirrors, in many cases.

• Like 1

Maybe that is the point of gossip, especially malicious gossip, to divert the real truth and create a scenario of smoke and mirrors, in many cases.

You give them too much credit methinks. These people like to be the centre of attention, want to seem like they're the ones "up on the news", or more often the type that just has to keep their trap flapping.

And of course just haven't got the ability to focus their brain on anything at a higher level than a negative slant on the usual backbiting topics about others - sex, illness, money troubles. It's become institutionalized in the "recent" trend of reality TV.

Here's an episode on the topic from one of my favorite radio (podcast) programmes.

I certainly agree with your final point, but IMO patriotism is not at all a virtue - it's people that nourish, not countries, the whole concept of nationhood is a near-obsolete abstraction. Loyalty to your employer, your family and neighbors, your "tribe" however you want to define it fine, but I have yet to live under a government that is deserving of respect.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

-- Herman Göring at the Nuremberg trials