English Pattaya Condo Manager Accused Of Contaminating Water Supply With Bleach

Rimmer

Maybe he's trying to save the residents money by adding skin whitener at the source.

After all, this is one of the chemicals the locals love to have in their soap and shower wash.

It takes a lot of searching to locate a shower wash or soap which is free of bleaches.

Police confirmed that he had been arrested twice for working without a work permit and both cases are ongoing at this time.

I don't understand this bit? I always thought even after being caught the first time you would be locked up in the detention centre and deported. How come this guy gets two chances and is still free to roam around?

Probably because they aren't sure if he's actually been working or not, so maybe they are still investigating. They can't lock him up if he hasn't done anything wrong.

"They can,t lock him up if he hasn,t done anything wrong" ? Are you kidding me, or maybe you haven,t been here very long. I was sitting outside a bar talking to a friend several months ago. A police pickup pulled up, ordered me into it and took me to some place in Jomtien, where I was told that unless I came up with 50,000 Bht right there and then I would be put in jail ! Needless to say, I paid the money, never having been in jail or ever having comitted any crime, but not wanting to spend a night in jail. The Pattaya Police can do whatever they like, whenever they like, and they prefer to do it at such a time that you connot access your lawyer. If you think any differently you are being extremely naive.

Edited by Rimmer
Quotes fixed

my toilet water and sink water have been coming out slighty pink color any ideas on what that is????

After using the toilet the water seems to be brown (ish) or yellow (ish). Never noticed pink (not even ish).

Maybe you should see a doctor? blink.png

"They can,t lock him up if he hasn,t done anything wrong" ? Are you kidding me, or maybe you haven,t been here very long. I was sitting outside a bar talking to a friend several months ago. A police pickup pulled up, ordered me into it and took me to some place in Jomtien, where I was told that unless I came up with 50,000 Bht right there and then I would be put in jail ! Needless to say, I paid the money, never having been in jail or ever having comitted any crime, but not wanting to spend a night in jail. The Pattaya Police can do whatever they like, whenever they like, and they prefer to do it at such a time that you connot access your lawyer. If you think any differently you are being extremely naive.

What did they charge you with? 50K is a lot of money, I would have rather have spent the night in jail.

" Despite the fact they are not happy with Mr. Alexander William Kay aged 69 from England, acting as manager of the complex, Police confirmed that he had been arrested twice for working without a work permit and both cases are ongoing at this time."

I hope Mr. Kay wasn't bleaching without a bleach permit. wai.gif

What did they charge you with? 50K is a lot of money, I would have rather have spent the night in jail.

Maybe his friend was too young for a chat........laugh.png

Sanitation of water for domestic use is rather more complex than earlier posts suggest and several critical factors are missing from this story making any judgement calls highly speculative. Sodium Hypochlorite (Hypo..Bleach) can be obtained relatively easily in several strenghts from around 6% active 12 % active for houshold use . This can be used easily for sanitation purposes but if the water is for potable use then the game changes significantly. Providing water for potable use using Hypo needs rather careful calculations and the provision of test procedures for free and combined chlorine. Free chlorine is in fact residual chlorine the presence of free chlorine is an indicator that the water is free from bacteria only but not that it meet the standards for potable water.

Assuming that this guy simply wanted to ensure that the tank water was sterile he would have to know the following. Total volume, concentration strenght of the hypo used and the means to test for the chlorine concentration in the water as a free residual chlorine of <2 ppm ( parts per million ). Hypo is a strong oxyidizing agent and over dosing would be most likely to cause skin reactions in bathing or even washing dishes. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Probably because they aren't sure if he's actually been working or not, so maybe they are still investigating. They can't lock him up if he hasn't done anything wrong.

You were targeted for no apparent reason, picked up by the police, taken to a place somewhere, asked to pay 50000 baht, ordered not to pass go, without a get out of jail free card, paid the money with no questions asked and simply went on your way? BTW: they didn`t by chance make you wear a yellow star sticker and ask you to take a shower, did they?

Are you kidding us? or is there a lot more to this than you`re letting on?

• Like 2

I was sitting outside a bar talking to a friend several months ago. A police pickup pulled up, ordered me into it and took me to some place in Jomtien, where I was told that unless I came up with 50,000 Bht right there and then I would be put in jail ! Needless to say, I paid the money, ....

Sounds like you were taken for a ride in more than one sense. Have you never heard of fake police?

Edited by IamNotaNumber

You were targeted for no apparent reason, picked up by the police, taken to a place somewhere, asked to pay 50000 baht, ordered not to pass go, without a get out of jail free card, paid the money with no questions asked and simply went on your way? BTW: they didn`t by chance make you wear a yellow star sticker and ask you to take a shower, did they?

Are you kidding us? or is there a lot more to this than you`re letting on?

Guess all foreigners living in Thailand pay them cops 50,000 baht and more for protection. Seems that the only naive person is the guy who wrote that.

"Such a time that you can't access your lawyer", sounds pretty much weird. How many of us do have a lawyer if something like this happens at day time?

You'd have to commit something serious that cops are asking you for so much money and no chicks for free.......wai2.gif

I guess that I better be careful. I put bleach in our water supply on a regular basis. One thing to keep in mind is that if it has a strong smell, you put in too much. It doesn't take much.

Seriously you do?! Why?!

I was getting ear infections and the doctor told me the infections were likely coming from showering with the village water. The water also sometimes had an odor. The bleach is supposed to kill the bacteria in addition to removing the odor. I'm not sure if it kills all the bacteria but it definitely eliminates the odor. I have had no ear infections since I started using the bleach.

I should add that we do not drink that water. I don't really measure the amount I put in. I take the cap off the bleach bottle and just give it a quick splash. It's an 1,800 liter tank. My wife complains if she can smell the bleach. Most cities treat their water with chlorine.

Thanks Halion (funny halide... you know)!

After reading so much non sense sometimes mixed with half truth or scattered true info at least a simple post with factual and true info.

I would wish people first look somethinng up on wiki, maybe google sometimes before making statements (no refs!) about good/bad true/untrue..

I could cite and comment on tenths of exampleas in contributions here but am to lazy to do so and not offending others might be a reason as well!

Your post need however some completion and .... but looking back at the original post... everything, including my post is off-topic tongue.png

Sanitation of water for domestic use is rather more complex than earlier posts suggest and several critical factors are missing from this story making any judgement calls highly speculative. Sodium Hypochlorite (Hypo..Bleach) can be obtained relatively easily in several strenghts from around 6% active 12 % active for houshold use . This can be used easily for sanitation purposes but if the water is for potable use then the game changes significantly. Providing water for potable use using Hypo needs rather careful calculations and the provision of test procedures for free and combined chlorine. Free chlorine is in fact residual chlorine the presence of free chlorine is an indicator that the water is free from bacteria only but not that it meet the standards for potable water.

Assuming that this guy simply wanted to ensure that the tank water was sterile he would have to know the following. Total volume, concentration strenght of the hypo used and the means to test for the chlorine concentration in the water as a free residual chlorine of <2 ppm ( parts per million ). Hypo is a strong oxyidizing agent and over dosing would be most likely to cause skin reactions in bathing or even washing dishes. A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

Police confirmed that he had been arrested twice for working without a work permit and both cases are ongoing at this time.

I don't understand this bit? I always thought even after being caught the first time you would be locked up in the detention centre and deported. How come this guy gets two chances and is still free to roam around?

Actually one can be arrested on suspicion of a crime in all countries ... depending upon the severity of the crime.

8 drops per gallon is usually enough but stupid adding it manually as how does one know if all the previously treated water has been already used.

Where do you get this number from?

I would have thought there were a few other variables to factor in before being able to calculate how many drops would be required, cleanliness / purity of the water to begin with, type of bacteria / organism trying to eradicate, type of bleach being used and it's strength, length of time the water is expected to be held, end result aimed for as in cleanliness / purity, etc.

Also, as a gallon (UK or US) is a measurement, how much, as a measurement, is a, "drop"?

I have a chemistry degree and yes, drops is a measurment. 1 drop = 0.02ml. 10 drops = 1ml. If you need more accurate use a pipette available at any lab store like the one on the top floor at Future Park.

• Like 1

Gosh the only thing this guy done wrong is not doing a water test with a simple kit. Bleach is chlorine in basic. It looks like to me they are after him for past offenses and they will use this to seal the deal.

8 drops per gallon is usually enough but stupid adding it manually as how does one know if all the previously treated water has been already used.

I would have thought there were a few other variables to factor in before being able to calculate how many drops would be required, cleanliness / purity of the water to begin with, type of bacteria / organism trying to eradicate, type of bleach being used and it's strength, length of time the water is expected to be held, end result aimed for as in cleanliness / purity, etc.

Also, as a gallon (UK or US) is a measurement, how much, as a measurement, is a, "drop"?

I have a chemistry degree and yes, drops is a measurment. 1 drop = 0.02ml. If you need more accurate use a pipette available at any lab store like the one on the top floor at Future Park.

Edited by Peterpatch

They said Mr. Alex... had been pouring Hyter liquid detergent into the water tank beneath the condominium. But Hyter is normally used for washing clothes.

The funny thing is that they don't know that Hyter is bleach and not detergent.coffee1.gif

Gosh the only thing this guy done wrong is not doing a water test with a simple kit. Bleach is chlorine in basic. It looks like to me they are after him for past offenses and they will use this to seal the deal.

Maybe he is not the manager but a member or chairman of the residents committee? They want him out so they can "control" the maintenance fees!

The spokesman for the tenants was Mr. Suthep Itthidamrongkul, age 52, address 16/2 Pattaya Pat Condominium, Soi Nokow, central Pattaya. He was accompanied by more than 10 condo residents.

I rest my case. whistling.gif

top floor at Future Park.

Cheers,

One can also buy rudimentary lab stuff at the school supply shop next to Ekamai Bus Terminal.

My local pharmacy sells plastic droppers for 5 baht each.thumbsup.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

If this guy has been arrested twice for working without a work permit, than why has he not been deported? Because I would bet my bottom baht he is still working and living a comfortable lifestyle with the rest of the gang that are running these condos at the residents expense in the guise of maintenence and administrative costs.

These estate management companies are big business, jobs for the lads and one main reason why I would never buy or lease a condo. It`s as corrupt as corrupt can be and an issue that should be investigated.

Read the last line of the post...

Probaly he has a good lawyer.

Or a bad cop?

PATTAYA:--A 63 year old Australian man collapsed and died in his Central Pattaya apartment on Tuesday in front of his wife. Police and rescue services were called to the Pattaya Pat Condo apartments in Soi Nokow, Central Pattaya

Oh Dear. Now they will add murder to the charges. Causing death by bleach!sad.png

I guess that I better be careful. I put bleach in our water supply on a regular basis. One thing to keep in mind is that if it has a strong smell, you put in too much. It doesn't take much.

Adding chlorene to water is standard practice - 8 drops per gallon. Chlorine kills bacteria at 12 parts per million and only the most sensitive person can taste or smell 14 ppm... 40 PPM is the upper safe limit- definitely tastable by anyone.

As for work - the rules are so strict, that if a retiree takes out the trash, he is in violation.

The trouble with dosing drinking water with chlorine/bleach, is that the pathogens and bacteria it kills, combines with and creates a byproduct of chloramites,this is the smelly eye irritant that a over used pool has,pee turns into it fast. This byproduct does not further kill germs,but must be shocked itself with more chlorine.

Why not run the water thru a UV light system,or get some ions in via air or mineral ionization??

I use the minimal chlorine now with my pool and use RO water with alkaline conversion for the drinking.. My beer is straight from the tap when possible!

You can find that common knowledge anywhere. Hiker/camper/explorers have been using common household bleach to purify water for ages. 3-4 drops per litre used to be the norm.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...c.html&l=1

If one uses a glass or plastic "dropper" from a pharmacy or medial supply store then the size of the drops are uniform.

How big is a drop that can easily be found by surfing although the math is quite complicated to display.

but the key element missing here is the required concentration.

Household bleach is nominally 6% Sodium hypochlorite

I'm sure the two posts quoted about are a "wind-up" but hey, I've got a few minutes to kill.

Maybe a wind-up as you say. Who knows? The point about the difference between US and UK gallons is a good though one as many people don't realise there's a difference. The same difference applies to pints as well. Which is worth remembering when you're in a bar.