Why So Many Europeans, Americans And Canadians Want To Live In Thailand?

Om85

Why, easy...cheap hookers and easy availability of inexpensive long stay options in a relatively safe and comfy environment. But mainly its the girls.

Those are the chief, primary and almost exclusive reasons.

I'd have to include the lack of PC. I hate the PC when I'm in a western country. Even western tv is full of it, though ABC ( Australia ) is by far the worst.

Also I can live here on very little. Were I in a western country, I'd have to work, while here, I can live on my savings.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try education.

And if you think that's too expensive try ignorance.

The point isn't that Thai culture is wonderful, or even that it isn't often idiotic. The point is that by actually understanding it a much as possible, and acquiring at least some ability to understand where the to-the-newcomer bizarre behaviour is coming from, you are in a much better position to get what you want, preserve what you have and maximize the enjoyment of your time here.

Pure pragmatics rather than principle.

The principle side of it is that by learning other languages and other cultural POV you are learning more about yourself, how your own behaviour is often driven by unquestioned scripts and beliefs programmed into you from birth.

If you stay in your own mental/cultural belief bubble, then you miss out on a lot of insight that could help you grow as a person and perhaps wake up a bit more than most people who go through their whole life on autopilot.

But I understand such isn't of interest to many. . .

Outstanding.

I could try and explain what things I do admire about Thai culture and the ways in which I am pleased to adapt to it but not only would that effort be wasted on most (and engender some derision and even resentment that I can't be bothered to deal with), the fact is that these days (and for the last couple decades of the nearly three that I've been here) it's mostly about the personal growth inherent in learning another language and culture and the hugely significant and wide-ranging practical benefits thereof when that culture is indigenous to the place where you've made your family's home.

In other words...what he said.

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

I too never understood why people who spent all their life in Europe or America chose to retire in Thailand.

I've a couple of European friends who worked most of their life in Asia, they don't have anything left in the west, so Thailand compared to other asian countries is probably the best place. Retiring here makes sense.

For me, I've been working in Asia for the past 15 years, married here, own my house ... But home is where I was born. I still keep in touch with my friends there (thanks FB wink.png ) and I'm starting to invest back there to prepare my return.

I've always been very positive about Thailand but as much as I appreciate the people here, it's not "home".

Edited by JurgenG
  • Like 1

I too never understood why people who spent all their life in Europe or America chose to retire in Thailand.

I've a couple of European friends who worked most of their life in Asia, they don't have anything left in the west, so Thailand compared to other asian countries is probably the best place. Retiring here makes sense.

For me, I've been working in Asia for the past 15 years, married here, own my house ... But home is where I was born. I still keep in touch with my friends there (thanks FB wink.png ) and I'm starting to invest back there to prepare my return.

I've always been very positive about Thailand but as much as I appreciate the people here, it's not "home".

In my case, the fact that it's not "home" is a positive thing. "Home" is a PC ridden place where far too many people are leaches off the taxpayer, and trendies abound. It's also far too expensive for a "normal" person to have a good lifestyle, and lastly it's dam_n cold for a lot of the year.

You wouldn't call it 'home' if you had been constantly freezing over there,

'hell' is more like it.

That said, the corruption here is so nasty so it's nearly as bad as freezing.

I used to live in Chicago you know that place where Obama is from. I don't think the corruption is bad here at all.biggrin.png

• Like 1

For some older retired guys, it's about the women. Even if not interested in bar girls, when you get to the more rural areas, there is the opportunity for a pretty young thing. Some think it is just another type of prostitution when a 30 year old village woman with a child decides to go with a much older man. So be it. I'm not here to argue what it is. If everyone including the family is satisfied, it's win-win.

If the man doesn't give it all up for this cute young thing, but keeps control of himself, he can have a life he'd only dream of at night in his home country.

Does it ever occur to anyone that I can live that way in a village, 10 km from a big town in LOS, build the woman a modest home on her parent's property, upgrade her parents' home, buy her a car and a scooter and still be money ahead compared to spending the same time just living in LA, USA? If I have to walk away, I had a few years I'd never have had, and actually be money ahead?

I don't think it's cheaper to live in Bangkok than it is to live in small town US. For one thing, I have full medical coverage (Medicare Advantage) for just $125 per month so don't even go there about health care costs. For another, you can rent a pretty nice place in small town US for $700 a month and it will be full-blown Western with central HVAC, a dishwasher, etc.

I recently posted a link to a very good 14" laptop computer brand new and shipped in the US for $349.99 and no sales tax at all in my state.

Don't even start about food. I can live on the cheap in the US, buying 50 pound bags of rice at Sam's Club but if I want a normal Western diet, it's much cheaper in the US. Even Western food restaurants are cheaper here. Sundries like laundry soap are much cheaper. If I'm low enough income I can get food stamps. There are many charitable things available for free, too.

I guess I started a debate I didn't mean to start, so please take this as just MHO. Don't even start about freedom. It's going away everywhere, but at least I have a right to be here and don't have to chase visas and can own land. I have a right to carry a concealed firearm, to practice on my own land, and to own a fully automatic rifle. Maybe there is corruption but not nearly as much where I am.

OK, I ranted but bottom line is that for me it's about having more money than most people around, and having a pretty woman on my arm and in my bed. It's so simple. It's just a choice.

I was born in the UK and raised in Canada, so in a way my parents adventure prompted me to explore a happy life. There are only three country's I would ever live in - Thailand, Canada & the UK in that order so I'm here for selfish reasons I want to be happy. My pathetic attempts at learning the language is only my fault, culture I get and most of all respect.

I also believe in the "old days" travel was a major expense, nowadays the world is smaller and you can fly almost anywhere for $1500 so it's affordable - location doesn't matter happiness does.

I came to Thailand simply because it is cheap to live in, and also although many of the TV posters won't agree, Thailand is still one of the safest countries in the world, I can walk about Bangkok, a city of about 12 million people and feel safe, 99.9% of the time, no one will bother you if you don't bother them, try walking about any city in the UK on your own, where you are lucky to even breath the air without being taxed, it is hard to find a woman who does not drink alcohol, smoke, and is not overweight.Also,the UK is expanding rapidly with emigrants all the time. Despite the third world mentality, Thailand beats the UK hands down, apart from what I said the third world mentality, ie parents letting their ten year old kids ride motorbikes on public roads and the authorities allowing it.

I feel a little like an E.T. in this tread.

But it's true that I have no serious financial constraints.

I am working here (own business) because I find working environment terrible in Europe. Here I can try and do new projects with a real flexibility and relatively low costs/risks.

But I rather see myself retiring back in Europe (longtime friends, quality public healthcare, culture, diversity ...). It will actually depend on my Thai partner (who's feeling about the same) and the way we manage our individual jobs.

I'm not in love with the Thai mentality. It is very easy to deal with for superficial matters ("LOS") but any serious one is dealt with irresponsibility and/or indifference. I often have the feeling the country is going backwards on many aspects and won't be such a nice place to live in a decade or two.

Too pessimistic maybe. I hope so.

I am not sure that the countries you prefer have the medical availabilities that we have in Thailand. They are (in my opinion only), the best the world has to offer, at the best price available. The Cardiac doctors at the Bangkok Heart Hospital saved my life, which I could not afford in the US ($250,000 to $300,000). It was $24,300 US here in Bangkok, and the nicest hosiptal that I have ever seen. Also, the Thai people are so nice. I have been all of over the Carribean, Venezuela, Mexico, Portugal, Spain, and even though I speak a lot of spanish, I still prefer the challenge of learning Thai. It is their country, why shouldn't I learn their langauge? The people are simply wonderful. I can't go anywhere without seeing someone smile at me, or willing to try to hold a discussuion with me. Thailand is fabulous, and I am so grateful to be here. Not looking for a wife, just happiness. I have never found this in the other countires that I have mentioned

I am not sure that the countries you prefer have the medical availabilities that we have in Thailand. They are (in my opinion only), the best the world has to offer, at the best price available. The Cardiac doctors at the Bangkok Heart Hospital saved my life, which I could not afford in the US ($250,000 to $300,000). It was $24,300 US here in Bangkok, and the nicest hosiptal that I have ever seen. Also, the Thai people are so nice. I have been all of over the Carribean, Venezuela, Mexico, Portugal, Spain, and even though I speak a lot of spanish, I still prefer the challenge of learning Thai. It is their country, why shouldn't I learn their langauge? The people are simply wonderful. I can't go anywhere without seeing someone smile at me, or willing to try to hold a discussuion with me. Thailand is fabulous, and I am so grateful to be here. Not looking for a wife, just happiness. I have never found this in the other countires that I have mentioned

Recently, for a knee problem, I consulted 3 (recommended) doctors in Thailand. Looking at the same MRI, the two first ones gave me totally contradictory diagnostics but both wanted to go ahead immediately with invasive intervention. The 3rd one never showed up. I am now waiting for my next trip to Europe to deal with a competent one.

I do not consider the healthcare here to be the best and, recently, I have the feeling that the "medical hub" fuzz makes any doctor here look at his cashier machine as his best assistant.

But it's good to hear they could help you in your case.

In what way is the visa hassle convenient if you retired early ?

Go to a country abroad every 3rd month ?

or forced to study thai & get interrogated every 3rd month ?

Over 50. Thailand has about the easiest retirement visa system on the planet.

Most countries that do have programs require PENSIONS.

BTW, one thing that can drive people crazy about the visa systems in general in Latin America is they are bonkers about "legalizing" needed documents in your home country. Much more complicated than just using a notary. Generally, people NEED to hire lawyers and often spend thousands of dollars and take lots of time getting things done. I am only generalizing but I really hate that stuff.

JT I found the Costa Rican food great. I didnt find it that boring at all. Lived there 3 years. One thing you can do there is buy and own land with not to many hassles. You are correct with documentation though. That is a real pain in the arse.

No, Costa Rica is totally not an option for me, using the BANK ACCOUNT method in Thailand, no pension. Also, Costa Rica REQUIRES import of pension annually, also if income is not pension, they require IMPORT into CR annually an amount of 30K USD. Thailand requires no annual import at all.

For people with pensions, reasonable, that is IF you want to live there ... coffee1.gif

http://www.costarica.../residency.html

Marry a Tica. Many problems gone. Many new ones come.

I lived in Costa Rica 4 years prior to moving to Thailand...CRIME in Central America was my Main Decision to move here and the Costa Rica Police don't care....They told me if I don't like the Crime since were so Rich then Move..I took there advise...

It is quite simple. The language and culture are not a problem for them, since most never try to understand the culture and don't attempt to learn the language. They can easily shack up with a local woman who regards their meagre pensions as a lot of money and meet undemanding conditions to get retirement or marriage visas. I think a lot of them would give the same answer as the OP - because I am married to a Thai - which probably makes him no different from them apart from not being an Anglo-Saxon. If they went to somewhere like Costa Rica or Nicaragua instead, things would not be any different. Even though Spanish is a relatively easy language, they wouldn't learn it, neither would they try to understand the local culture.

Edited by Arkady

For me personally

FREEDOM

Even with the various warts Thailand has it feels much more free IMHO

Feeling free is quite different than having freedom and guaranteed rights. Thailand can seem like a playground for deviants or those that think a bit of dosh can lubricate the cogs of officialdom. The reality is that foreign guests have no rights or freedoms. They are tolerated. A foreigner does not discover this until the day he or she has a serious problem and finds that one's status quickly goes from welcome guest to dirty farang.

Well luckily I inserted that get out of jail free card "IMHO"

As it is my opinion based on My experiences I stand by it.

I assure you I fit into none of the categories you mentioned

Yet I still find this country much more free than the one I came from.

As I said I like the sink or swim none nannied state of things here.

As you say perhaps those that have a serious problem ? May not have certain rights

afforded elsewhere, but let me tell you the rights afforded elsewhere are quickly decaying

and came with a load of baggage & frivolous byproducts to begin with.

Corruption? Yes sure same as any other country I imagine.

But again I do not fall into the categories you mentioned so cannot say 1st hand.

If you do & are speaking from your own actual experiences you have my condolences.

Let's deal with your points;

1. Yet I still find this country much more free than the one I came from.

Fair enough, Thailand does seem free for some. However, in most of the western world, people have their basic rights protected. There is a right to a fair trial and legal representation. If a cop abuses his authority, there is redress. A cop cannot come up to someone randomly and demand a urine sample. In Thailand, they can do that. Despite the Thai laws that require basic legal process such as a warrant, or an appearance before a judge within 48 hrs. subsequent to an arrest, the reality is that the procedure is not respected.

2. As I said I like the sink or swim none nannied state of things here.

Thailand is much more of a nanny state than many western countries. It is manifested in the arcane laws that relate to commerce and general business. . Look at how the courts interpret the law when it comes to an aggrieved Thai vs. a foreign guest. In practice, the foreigner is presumed liable at the start of the process. Are you aware that the state can order the vaccination of children in Thailand? I am in favour of vaccinations, but such an intervention crosses the line. Kids can screw up. That's what kids do. If a poor kid screws up, he or she is swallowed by the state and sent to a government facility. Look at the schools. It's like a virtual brainwashing campaign to teach a Thai version of history. What greater manifestation of an intrusive approach can there be than some of the laws on the books that relate to expressing an opinion on certain taboo subjects. If the banning of certain news magazines isn't nany state, then what is? What if I wish to bring you a dildo for christmas? An innocuous item that you might use as a door stop. I can't because the state says it is forbidden.

3. As you say perhaps those that have a serious problem ? May not have certain rights afforded elsewhere, but let me tell you the rights afforded elsewhere are quickly decayingand came with a load of baggage & frivolous byproducts to begin with.

Really? If a cop criminaly kills someone in Japan, or Australia, or Singapore, or the USA, chances are that cop is going to be dealt with. Have a look at all the recent cases and show me one case in Thailand in the past 5 years where justice was done.

As much as I lament the state of affairs in the west, I know that my basic civil rights will be protected in most western countries.The police and military do not operate brothels in Sydney. They do not traffic in humans in the USA and they do not aid and abet the smuggling of endangered species in Scandanavia. Can you name one government official in any western country that has engaged in the encroachment on natural reserves? How many cabinet ministers in the west have been alleged to have profited from this type of theft?

4, Corruption? Yes sure same as any other country I imagine.

Your imagination is rose tinted. Thailand has dismal rankings on the corruption index. Don't even dare to compare Thailand to Denmark or Australia or Hong Kong, because the conduct of Thai officials would not be tolerated. We all pay the cost of the corruption. You do realize that your airfare is inflated because the AoT is still paying for the bloated construction costs of BKK. Phuket couldn't even attract respectable firms to bid on its airport expansion. Raw sewage is dumped into the waters off Phuket, not because the technology isn't there, and not because the money isn't there either. It is. The problem is that the oligarchy that controls Phuket doesn't want to deal with the problem.

5. But again I do not fall into the categories you mentioned so cannot say 1st hand.If you do & are speaking from your own actual experiences you have my condolences.

Really? I think anyone that has a basic modicum of ethics and integrity recoils in disgust at the way things are done here. Almost nothing of significance gets done unless a bribe is paid. Almost everone has his hand out waiting to get greased.

Great post.

I can't speak for Europeans, but as for Americans, I'd say there are a lot more retired in Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, etc. than in Thailand.

Exactly, Costarica is full of Americans, and they seem to love it, they can easily get permanent residence there, buy a house, work, party so I don't why so many people come here only to get riped off.

It appears to me that many foreigners come here so that they can adopt a sedentary life style in which they occupy a good deal of time insulting the local people and criticizing their morals, ethics and culture with uninformed or totally fabricated blather. Your post here cites an example of this. I have lived, worked and visited most countries in Latin America (including Costa Rica) for years and love them. But your observation about getting ripped-off is absolutely inane. Thailand is minor leagues in this. Rip-off 101. ¡Nada! Ohhh, gringo... I would love to see you in el mundo latino and thinking that is the same as Thailand's soft machine. wink.png

Let's deal with your points;

Nah no thanks.

I see you put a lot of time into that judging by the length

not that I will read it.

But as I said Im fine here

If your unhappy my condolences.

Actually geriatrickid did a good job of comparing Western and Thai society you should read it. I don't think he has a girlfriend, though. But he forgot the freedom security and basic human rights per dollar ratio.

First you add up all the stuff you get in the West that you really need and then the cost of living there and compare that with the stuff you really need in Thailand and the cost of living here. Hugh Hefner it costs a lot of money to live like in California. Not so much here.smile.png

Not for the same reasons so many Indians, Nepalese, Pakistani, etc. want to live in Britain for sure.......wai.gif

Not for the same reasons so many Indians, Nepalese, Pakistani, etc. want to live in Britain for sure.......wai.gif

What is the reason? A lot of Indians, Nepalese and Pakistani live here (Thailand). Is it the same reason as Britain?

Actually geriatrickid did a good job of comparing Western and Thai society you should read it. I don't think he has a girlfriend, though. But he forgot the freedom security and basic human rights per dollar ratio.

Thanks but,

Nah I can imagine & folks like him seem to forget that everyone is free to make their choice even he himself

has that choice.

But actually when I think about it he is a prime example of a type of loss of freedom.

Folks like him just cannot get themselves to let others live in peace.

No folks like myself who have made a free choice cannot be allowed. I must be deluded

or what ever term he will attach to "my" choice.

So there in a sense is a type of loss of freedom or at least one he seems to want to take away from me.

I stand by my original post & am quite happy with it & my choice to live here.

Glad I have that freedom to choose wink.png

Edited by mania