Why So Many Europeans, Americans And Canadians Want To Live In Thailand?

Om85

Why, easy...cheap hookers and easy availability of inexpensive long stay options in a relatively safe and comfy environment. But mainly its the girls.

Those are the chief, primary and almost exclusive reasons.

According to this topic http://www.thaivisa....ions-for-wifey/ you're already married.

What's your point?

You think being married and having other sex partners should be mutually exclusive?

Maybe assume those that have both are being deceptive?

And even if someone does choose to deceive their partner, are you so pure as to be in a position to cast judgement?

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why there is an assumption that so many people want to live in Thailand. The only region where this might hold true is for Scandanavia and those people tend to be older and see Thailand as a place to go to avoid the winter. If I look at the stats, and Canada seems to have a good statistical base, more Canadians live in the USA than anywhere else. More revealing is the demographics; The majority of Canada's young and educated emigrants go to the USA, UK and Australia. Although the USA attracts a large number of "snowbirds" approx. 75% of Canadians migrating to the UK and Australia are young and prime working-age adults (18 to 49 years).- Source Govt. of Canada

I think the numbers are reversed for Thailand, with the majority being older single males and they certainly are not overly educated at least not the ones I have met. (That's not a slight or saying they aren't nice people,, just an observation.) Australians in Thailand are a different demographic than Canadians and it is a reflection of the low cost associated with relocating and traveling back and forth to Australia. A person of moderate means can easily commute back and forth to Australia retaining access to social benefits and all the advantages of Australia. Jet Star and Air Asia make that possible. Thailand is to Australians what Florida is to Canadians.

I'd venture that the wealthy foreigners do not see Thailand as an alternative home, but as another place to go for extended periods of time.There really isn't much on offer in Thailand to make it a desirable place for the weathy. Americans and Canadians prefer the Carribean or Hawaii. Wealthy Europeans have places in Spain or Sardinia. Thailand is a destination for people of modest financial means and with the way costs are going up, it would seem that Vietnam and Cambodia are knocking at the gate. The Chinese setting up second homes , from what I have seen are married middle aged people that want an alternative to China. The number of expat professionals that I have met is quite small and they are in Thailand for work, not because they love the place.

Could not agree more. People that have real money and and spouse they love do not choose Thailand by a long shot. Its more for washed up.divorcees and guys who slogged it out i shitty jobs coming to live their neckbeard fantasies before they die.

Being able to get on TV and belittle everyone because they have a small pile of cash they have traded for their lives somehow gives them comfort but truth is, they use the money to isolate themselves. They find it all odf and foreign but realize that even with their pile of money no woman wants to be around them. Better to pay for the pleasure here., home issuch a lonely place.

the price of some of these villas in Phuket that people are buying some wealthy people seem to choose to live here .

I don't know why there is an assumption that so many people want to live in Thailand. The only region where this might hold true is for Scandanavia and those people tend to be older and see Thailand as a place to go to avoid the winter. If I look at the stats, and Canada seems to have a good statistical base, more Canadians live in the USA than anywhere else. More revealing is the demographics; The majority of Canada's young and educated emigrants go to the USA, UK and Australia. Although the USA attracts a large number of "snowbirds" approx. 75% of Canadians migrating to the UK and Australia are young and prime working-age adults (18 to 49 years).- Source Govt. of Canada

I think the numbers are reversed for Thailand, with the majority being older single males and they certainly are not overly educated at least not the ones I have met. (That's not a slight or saying they aren't nice people,, just an observation.) Australians in Thailand are a different demographic than Canadians and it is a reflection of the low cost associated with relocating and traveling back and forth to Australia. A person of moderate means can easily commute back and forth to Australia retaining access to social benefits and all the advantages of Australia. Jet Star and Air Asia make that possible. Thailand is to Australians what Florida is to Canadians.

I'd venture that the wealthy foreigners do not see Thailand as an alternative home, but as another place to go for extended periods of time.There really isn't much on offer in Thailand to make it a desirable place for the weathy. Americans and Canadians prefer the Carribean or Hawaii. Wealthy Europeans have places in Spain or Sardinia. Thailand is a destination for people of modest financial means and with the way costs are going up, it would seem that Vietnam and Cambodia are knocking at the gate. The Chinese setting up second homes , from what I have seen are married middle aged people that want an alternative to China. The number of expat professionals that I have met is quite small and they are in Thailand for work, not because they love the place.

Could not agree more. People that have real money and and spouse they love do not choose Thailand by a long shot. Its more for washed up.divorcees and guys who slogged it out i shitty jobs coming to live their neckbeard fantasies before they die.

Being able to get on TV and belittle everyone because they have a small pile of cash they have traded for their lives somehow gives them comfort but truth is, they use the money to isolate themselves. They find it all odf and foreign but realize that even with their pile of money no woman wants to be around them. Better to pay for the pleasure here., home issuch a lonely place.

You wrote, " Its more for washed up.divorcees and guys who slogged it out i shitty jobs coming to live their neckbeard fantasies before they die." I know a thousand guys who live in Thailand full or part time. Not one fits your description. One wonders how you got so bitter at your elders. smile.png

Primarily Pattaya.

You wrote, " Its more for washed up.divorcees and guys who slogged it out i shitty jobs coming to live their neckbeard fantasies before they die." I know a thousand guys who live in Thailand full or part time. Not one fits your description. One wonders how you got so bitter at your elders. smile.png

Primarily Pattaya.

Actually Chiang Mai. Most of the dead beats I met were from Bangkoksmile.png

Let's deal with your points;

1. Yet I still find this country much more free than the one I came from.

Fair enough, Thailand does seem free for some. However, in most of the western world, people have their basic rights protected. There is a right to a fair trial and legal representation. If a cop abuses his authority, there is redress. A cop cannot come up to someone randomly and demand a urine sample. In Thailand, they can do that. Despite the Thai laws that require basic legal process such as a warrant, or an appearance before a judge within 48 hrs. subsequent to an arrest, the reality is that the procedure is not respected.

I like your point, though I think the "urine sample" case is perhaps one of the softest examples of abuse of police authority here.

Anyway my personal goal has always been to live in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. Thailand was my second choice, which I'll stay in until work allows me move again.

You too? I have always wanted to live near an active volcano. Pattaya was my second choice.

Don't know if you're being sarcastic but funny nonetheless! I've only wanted to live in Southeast Asia, so Yogyakarta has been the best for me in every sense.

You too? I have always wanted to live near an active volcano. Pattaya was my second choice.

Cool relevant song -

shitty audio, but better video -

Guy - "I'm gonna go jump in a crater!"

Chicks - "See ya' later!"

nerd comment - technically, that should be "caldera"

but of course then the line wouldn't rhyme 8-)

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Would the girlfriend experience have something to do with it? It seems SEA is the only place where a working girl will just become your girlfriend regardless of your age. She will stay with you till you say goodbye or run out of money. I understand most everywhere else the prostitute is 1 hour prepaid with pimp always nearby.

Edited by metisdead
: Please post using the default forum font; Arial Size 14.
  • Like 1

Answer to the OP.

Simple. Met my Thai wife in London. So haven't had to learn the language. I might try and learn some if I end up retiring here but I took a decision to NOT try learning it initially so that the kids would learn English from me and Thai from their mother rather than bad Thai from me and poorly pronounced English from their mother.

Kids are also bilingual so have plenty free translators...

Wife also gets me around the issue of foreigners not being able to own property here.

The only things that still annoy me here...

- internet speeds... My brother was skypeing me on his tablet over 3G from Angola to my PC on a landline ADSL connection here. My landline connection was obviously slower than mobile internet in Africa!!!

- Broadcast TV picture quality.

Why does Thailand appear to be the last country in the world still broadcasting analogue signals only and still 4:3 too. We've got True on a couple of TVs, but my wife will insist on watching Thai TV on the 50" plasma and it really shows the crappy picture quality.

- Double-pricing. Thais don't seem to understand how much this annoys foreigners. They don't seem to realise that what they're doing wouldn't just be frowned on... They'd be jailed for it in most countries.

Answer to the OP.

Simple. Met my Thai wife in London. So haven't had to learn the language. I might try and learn some if I end up retiring here but I took a decision to NOT try learning it initially so that the kids would learn English from me and Thai from their mother rather than bad Thai from me and poorly pronounced English from their mother.

Kids are also bilingual so have plenty free translators...

Wife also gets me around the issue of foreigners not being able to own property here.

The only things that still annoy me here...

- internet speeds... My brother was skypeing me on his tablet over 3G from Angola to my PC on a landline ADSL connection here. My landline connection was obviously slower than mobile internet in Africa!!!

- Broadcast TV picture quality.

Why does Thailand appear to be the last country in the world still broadcasting analogue signals only and still 4:3 too. We've got True on a couple of TVs, but my wife will insist on watching Thai TV on the 50" plasma and it really shows the crappy picture quality.

- Double-pricing. Thais don't seem to understand how much this annoys foreigners. They don't seem to realise that what they're doing wouldn't just be frowned on... They'd be jailed for it in most countries.

Yeah the double pricing is terrible.

Answer to the OP.

Haven't had to learn Thai? Well, very few have to learn it.

I've yet to hear a good reason not to learn Thai other "than I don't want to:" which is of course anyone's right to feel and say. With all due respect, I can't help but feel people who claim downsides to being able to speak Thai are just making an excuse (when i fact none is necessary, no?). And the benefits? Virtually incalculable.

For instance your reason: if you learn Thai, what could possibly prevent you from continuing to use English as much as you like including in your home with your children and your wife (as I did and as a result my children are also bilingual with native speaker's fluency and accent).

Anyway, not passing judgment on your choice at all. Just commenting on a flaw in your reasons.

• Like 2

Cool relevant song -

shitty audio, but better video -

Guy - "I'm gonna go jump in a crater!"

Chicks - "See ya' later!"

nerd comment - technically, that should be "caldera"

but of course then the line wouldn't rhyme 8-)

But seriously, I have lots of friends there who have been living there for decades, some even generations. The "active volcano" hasn't really bothered them, because despite erupting from time to time, it doesn't really affect people in the town area and further down near the sea.

Also Yogyakarta has so much more cultural activity, art, music, theatre, and so on that I can relate to and understand. I can also connect better with Indonesians, but that might be a personal thing.

The houses, weather, and food are great too. And it's all at half the price of Thailand.

Double-pricing. Thais don't seem to understand how much this annoys foreigners. They don't seem to realise that what they're doing wouldn't just be frowned on... They'd be jailed for it in most countries.

Actually I think we should start a whole new thread on this topic, perhaps titled "The LoS Stupid Tax"; it doesn't get nearly the coverage here it deserves. . .

There's lots of things you could be jailed for in most countries that are no problem here, and that's exactly what attracts so many of us honkies here.

Latin America is too dangerous. I'm not interested in living some place where I am afraid walking the streets alone at night. In Bangkok and the rest of Thailand, aside from the very south where there is fighting, I can go anywhere alone at any time of day without any worry. Big cities in places like Columbia and Brazil have way too much crime. Even in parts of big cities in the US have big problems.

+1
  • Like 1

How is this for an answer. I spent time here 38 years ago, I speak Thai and the culture is familiar to me.

There is no snow and the cost of living is reasonable. I just spent 6 years living and running a business in Mexico.

Has nothing to do with Thai women.

I can't speak for Europeans, but as for Americans, I'd say there are a lot more retired in Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, etc. than in Thailand.

Exactly, Costarica is full of Americans, and they seem to love it, they can easily get permanent residence there, buy a house, work, party so I don't why so many people come here only to get riped off.

IMHO - Those who are ripped off, ask for it.

As for Americans coming here, on major reason is familiarity, for a couple fo rasons. Millions of American Servicemen were stationed or came here on R&R during the Vietnam War. Add to that that American trade has been substantially Asian for over 2 centuries and that there are millions of Asians living and working in America. California is currently 51% minorities.

Thailand seems like home to many of us and we get ripped off less here than inthe US.

i fell in love with a wonderful thai lady and married , we have a great house , and we are building a village as well , as soon as the construction of the village is finished and sold my wife wants to move back to australia .. we will have our house here still , so the best of both worlds ...lucky me .. to have such a wonderful wife

I can't speak for Europeans, but as for Americans, I'd say there are a lot more retired in Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, etc. than in Thailand.

Exactly, Costarica is full of Americans, and they seem to love it, they can easily get permanent residence there, buy a house, work, party so I don't why so many people come here only to get riped off.

I've been in Costa Rica once, after I had been in Thailand already, and when I once walked with my lugage from the busstation to the hotel at 6PM, they asked me on arrival at the hotel if I was tired of living.

All the hotels I had been also told me upfront, if you forget your key we don't open the doors after 10 PM for anybody.

Costa Rica was at that time considerd the safest country in the region.

Having traveled all over central america I find Thailand safer and more fun. More tourists and expats as well for when I want to have a conversation in my native tongue. Now Argentina might still be an option because they have mountains with snow. So instead of my current retirement plan, summer in Thailand, winter in US. I could summer in Argentina and winter in the US. I'll have to see if I'm up for skiing 300 days a year when I'm 65 :)

Having traveled all over central america I find Thailand safer and more fun. More tourists and expats as well for when I want to have a conversation in my native tongue. Now Argentina might still be an option because they have mountains with snow. So instead of my current retirement plan, summer in Thailand, winter in US. I could summer in Argentina and winter in the US. I'll have to see if I'm up for skiing 300 days a year when I'm 65 smile.png

Winter! Snow!

For most of my first three decades I was quite the ski bum, but now the very thought makes me shiver, brrrrr, no thanks. . .

Yes, I meet very few retired North Americans, far more Brits and ANZ.

Personally I prefer Asian women to Latin, but I admit I'd probably do both if I had the dosh.

And Thailand is definitely safer, a honky living in Columbia's really asking for trouble, and even Rio's probably more dangerous than Pattaya 8-)

I guess that in Latinamerica violence is the main problem but fortunatelly we also have lots of Asians,(Japanese, Chinese and Thai), I like Thai women cuz they are the only ones in Asia with nice asses but they usually lack boobies crying.gif

They usually lack boobies? My Thai wife has perfect 10's. But maybe you prefer basketballs.

I too never understood why people who spent all their life in Europe or America chose to retire in Thailand.

I've a couple of European friends who worked most of their life in Asia, they don't have anything left in the west, so Thailand compared to other asian countries is probably the best place. Retiring here makes sense.

For me, I've been working in Asia for the past 15 years, married here, own my house ... But home is where I was born. I still keep in touch with my friends there (thanks FB wink.png ) and I'm starting to invest back there to prepare my return.

I've always been very positive about Thailand but as much as I appreciate the people here, it's not "home".

Came here in my 20s and live and work here since then by free will. Could have chosen any other country, but nowhere can match Thailand.

However, retirement or how you would call that will be in my old home country. That not because of insurance issues.

Edited by Birdman

I can only speak from my viewpoint an an American wanting to live in Thailand the rest of his life:

Reasons:

1) Thai wife. (Far and away the lead reason above all else!)

2) Cost of living is cheap.

3) Warm weather.

4) Thailand is the place I know.

5) I am learning/have learned/invested time/money/effort in Thai (language, culture, home, etc).

6) Opportunity to be a little bit "naughty" from time to time. ;)

I agree - there may be better places to live as an expat. By I have no (pardon the expression) ties to those countries/cultures. I have grown roots in Thailand. I feel comfortable and "at home" here.

If I had experienced (for example) Costa Rica or other places prior to coming to Thailand - I am sure I would have chosen those locations as a retirement option. Should I separate/divorce from my wife - I may still consider uprooting and trying those places out. However, the longer I grow roots here - the less likely I will move.

• Like 1

Personally I prefer Asian women to Latin, but I admit I'd probably do both if I had the dosh.

And Thailand is definitely safer, a honky living in Columbia's really asking for trouble, and even Rio's probably more dangerous than Pattaya 8-)

I guess that in Latinamerica violence is the main problem but fortunatelly we also have lots of Asians,(Japanese, Chinese and Thai), I like Thai women cuz they are the only ones in Asia with nice asses but they usually lack boobies crying.gif

They usually lack boobies? My Thai wife has perfect 10's. But maybe you prefer basketballs.

I definitely prefer a small firm pair to big saggy ones.

• Like 2

I can't complain about my wife's, but at leats I have the impression that generally speaking, must of Thai chicks have very small boobies, I got my secon bachellor degree here at a Thai Uni. and my Thai classmates(males and females) talk about it very often, and no , I don't like basketballswai2.gif