Subaru In Thailand

bigjl

Hi There!

I would just like to ask the more experienced if Subarus are on sale in Thailand, i know it is expensive to import yourself but i am thinking ahead to becoming an expat, i currently work with somebody who lives in GOA and flies back to UK a couple of times a year to refill the bank account until she retires.

I have had these cars for years and would really like to have one in thailand.

Anu advise would be gratefully recieved.

Hi There!

I would just like to ask the more experienced if Subarus are on sale in Thailand, i know it is expensive to import yourself but i am thinking ahead to becoming an expat, i currently work with somebody who lives in GOA and flies back to UK a couple of times a year to refill the bank account until she retires.

I have had these cars for years and would really like to have one in thailand.

Anu advise would be gratefully recieved.

Auto Exchange Pattaya have a new WRX for sale and a mates got a new model WRX delivered a couple of weeks back. :o

There is a Subaru dealership in Petchaburi Road,and loads of second hand ones available on the net and in magazines.....check www.one2car.com or www.rcweb.com

Thanks for the prompt replies and great advice, it would seem that thay are more popular than i thought, i can live without the UK but without a subaru, that would be too much :o

I even found a nice turbo for under 300000bht, as i am going for a condo instead of a house, are there any facilities for storing a car for a few months when out of the country.

Edited by bigjl

They're failry popular among enthousiasts, but it's not a main stream car. As they're not built in Thailand (I think) they're taxed a lot higher. The high power models are of course expensive no matter what. :o

As for storing it: How about your condo's parking lot? :D They mostly have security present there.

If you're looking for new models then check out the local dealer at www.subaru.co.th. F1 Autosport is another Subaru dealer that carries a good range of Subarus from limited edition WRX Sti's to Legacys (www.f1auto.com)

Thanks for all the great info' guys, have checked out the prices on a few places, even if some are partly in thai, the prices for a new one are enough to give you a nose bleed. Twice the cost of same in the UK, pity it is so expensive to import as theses cars can be bought for not a lot in japan, i think i will have to think seriously about a 2nd hand one, or one of the very popular pick-ups.

I don't even mind the suzuki caribean as a starter while i save up, i did notice that a car nearly the same as mine, 2004 Legacy was nearly 3500000 bht (ouch) :o .

At least housing is cheaper than the UK.

Subaru is the nickname for all the 600cc mini trucks they use for pax on back streets here (even though most are Dihatsu). Not an up-market brand at all but the market price is way too high to sell for more than novelty; to those with more money than sense.

The are not popular at all in Thailand IMO.

I was a happy owner of a 1985 Subaru so it is not that I don't like the brand.

Subaru is the nickname for all the 600cc mini trucks they use for pax on back streets here (even though most are Dihatsu). Not an up-market brand at all but the market price is way too high to sell for more than novelty; to those with more money than sense.

The are not popular at all in Thailand IMO.

I was a happy owner of a 1985 Subaru so it is not that I don't like the brand.

Maybe its because if you read Subaru backwards it says u r a bus :D ahem :o

sorry couldn't help myself......and yes I know its an old joke....

Subaru is the nickname for all the 600cc mini trucks they use for pax on back streets here (even though most are Dihatsu).

Subaru is a name for The Pleiades cluster (M45) in Japanese, therefore the seven stars as signified in its badge. Fuji Heavy Industry was formerly Nakajima Aircraft, one of the companies that manufactured many of the Japanese military aircrafts used in WW2 including Oscar that flew the sky of Thailand. And Subaru is one division of Fuji Heavy Industry, one of the twelve companies that emerged as a result of disollution of Nakajima Aircraft ordered by the General Head Quarter of allied forces.

Good news is import duty presently set at 80% on Japanese CBU will be reduced by 5% each year (starting last year or this year I'm not sure) as a result of FTA accord concluded with Japan last year.

Edited by Nordlys

Subaru is the nickname for all the 600cc mini trucks they use for pax on back streets here (even though most are Dihatsu).

Subaru is a name for The Pleiades cluster (M45) in Japanese, therefore the seven stars as signified in its badge. Fuji Heavy Industry was formerly Nakajima Aircraft, one of the companies that manufactured many of the Japanese military aircrafts used in WW2 including Oscar that flew the sky of Thailand. And Subaru is one division of Fuji Heavy Industry, one of the twelve companies that emerged as a result of disollution of Nakajima Aircraft ordered by the General Head Quarter of allied forces.

Good news is import duty presently set at 80% on Japanese CBU will be reduced by 5% each year (starting last year or this year I'm not sure) as a result of FTA accord concluded with Japan last year.

Hi Nordlys,

In your post you refer to "Japanese CBU" and also "FTA" with reference to reduced duty, what exactly are these and where can i find more info' about them, for example is the 80% duty mentioned based on the price of same car new now or based on the CIF price when shipping from Japan, plenty of cheap Subaru imports in Japan as I bring them into UK as a lucrative sideline.

:o

bigjl, FTA topic has been discussed in these threads.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...&hl=Tax+on+SUVs

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52867&hl=

Thai customs generally charge import duty on CIF but I'm not so sure if this rule applies to import cars as well. Passengers cars are also subjected to 15 - 35% excise tax as well on top of import duty + 7% VAT on all of that combined.