Sick Doggie

girlx

my dog (6 mo. old) today had a drastic change in personality. he is usually into everything, happy go lucky. today he won't eat or drink and can't move around a lot on his own. i found him hiding under the dark house. he keeps dry heaving but nothing comes out. he just sits and stares, he can respond to me but rather feebly. i have him in my room covered with a sarong and tried to force him to drink water with electrolytes but he won't take it. any suggestions? does it sound like he has been poisoned?

my dog (6 mo. old) today had a drastic change in personality. he is usually into everything, happy go lucky. today he won't eat or drink and can't move around a lot on his own. i found him hiding under the dark house. he keeps dry heaving but nothing comes out. he just sits and stares, he can respond to me but rather feebly. i have him in my room covered with a sarong and tried to force him to drink water with electrolytes but he won't take it. any suggestions? does it sound like he has been poisoned?

not poison ja .. coz the sign of intoxication is acute it will be happend in some mins later pet take it

as .. organophospate > salivation , pee , poo ,pupil dilation ..etc

the sign that you put here is too less

common virus disease in young dog as

- viral enteritis > can start with anorexia, vomit (or u can see drooling) for few days and follow with bloody diarrhea ( coke color) and fatid (as spoil seafood)

- canine distemper > start with anorexia ,respiratory tract infection , can find diarrhea , conjuctivitis , oculo-nasal discharge , fever(or not) ,seizer ... and thicken foot pad

BTW you can cure you dog by human medicine .. but i need more information

try to keep info ok? i will check this thread more ofthen and i will tell how to deal with

i hope he get better soon

xoxo

bambi

/edit forget to tell you , if you wanna do force feeding , you need "syringe" (yep for injection) but if he has a sign of gastrointestinal tract , u whave to withdraw food and drink atleast 24 hr (allow to lick ice only for resting GT tract)

Edited by BambinA

ok hopefully then it's just a GI infection or something. he really can't move, when he stands up he gets dizzy and then he vomits- just clear water since he hasn't eaten anything. his eyes are a bit dilated and he seems to be panting a bit, but his heart is not racing and i don't think he has a temperature. no pooing or peeing. he's just laying in a big lump on my floor. i will not feed him tonight but maybe tomorrow i will use a syringe to give him some water (luckily i have one). thanks for the help! i am glad it doesn't sound like poison- several dogs this week have died on my beach from that cause. :o

when he stands up he gets dizzy and then he vomits- just clear water since he hasn't eaten anything

emm beware parvo /corona virus (viaral enteritis) 70-80% of young dog die (6 mths is not that young)

no specific medicine for treat virus .. just supportive therapy and wait for immune that he makes it by himself

- vitamin supplement

-fluid therapy

-antibiotic for 2nd inf.

-anti-emetic

-etc

and just wait for lining cell of intestine healing itself

mostly dog get heart attach form "tiger heart " (myocardium scar) / blood lose / dehydrate/ electrolyte imbalance

if he got "viral enteritis" you have to give im systemic drug only , coz his gut cant absorp anything

Differntial Diagnosis

- food poisioning

- coccidiosis

for both above, give him

- metronidazole 65 mg/kg

-(and) norfloxacin 10 mg/kg (or ciprofloxacin 5 mg/kg)

yes.. human product

thanks bambi! i hate to leave him today because i have to go on a visa run, but i did, so i hope he gets a chance to heal in the day and a half that i am gone rather than my coming back to find him dead. :o i will pick up the antibiotics on my way back in case i need them.

1. check dehydration by pinching the scruff of his neck: if the skin falls back fast, he's ok. if the skin falls back slowly (like an old lady's elbow skin) then he needs to be hydrated: u can do and i.v. actually sub cutaneously (under the skin) from a saline/glucose iv for humans, slide the needle under the skin (dont jab straight down, slide at 45 degree angle w/o stabbing yourself: lift some skin by his neck up pinching it and stick needle in );keep bag elevated

2. vaccinated for rabies? if not, be careful: some of this sounds very similar to some stages of rabies .... and thailand appears to be full of rabies if u are up country.

3. distemper also causes wierd twitches and shakes and trembling (siezures)and also appears like rabies

4. the type of poisong bambina was mentioning ( organic phosphates) causing loss of fluids etc the antidote is usually atropine (kibbutz dogs get in to fields after being sprayed with certain sprays and lick grass get poisoned etc) they get all fluids out: tearing eyes, vomiting, the runs, salivating tremendous amounts) the atropine dehydrates and stops the poison reaction (temporarily) and then u must do secondary treatments, cant remember off hand what follow up is....

5. take temperature 3 x day to see if there is rise, fall, etc

6. check gums: if u press finger on gums and the gums dont really seem different (pale, or bluish or greyish) then u need blood work run up to id. the probem, fast!! (anemia, lack of oxygen, etc)

7. distended abdomen, abdonal pain (press slightly, you'll know if it hurts)

all these things are for any animal to be checked before u even call the vet: it makes it easier to id. the problem

i do this all the time for the goats et al: the vet doesnt run out to the farm for every problem at 3:00 a.m. so these are the things he wants to know from me.

if u want to rehydrate him orally: use large syring or small cola bottle with amounts marked off so u can record how much he drank: insert syringe/bottle in corner of mouth where the lips meet and pour small amoutn in mouth; stroke his throat and watch for swalling movements.. dont tilt head backt to much to avoid aspiration. also blowing in nostrils causes swalling reflex in dogs; try dribbling liquids a bit on top of nose, this causes tongue licking movement... dont give too much of any fluid at once, a small amount often is better then a lot at once...

if he is a large breed dog, check for colic (the dry heaves could be, and the dilated pupils from pain?) which needs vet attention also (large breeds: danes, boxers, dobermans, etc) but pretty rare in most basic dogs (had saint bernards with colic/torsion)....

hope all this clarified bambina's info....(bambina, i clarified your english a bit for seizures, and the poisons)....

bina

Sorry for the late reply but our internet connection has been very dodgy.

There has been a massive parvovirus outbreak on the island and PAC has had a minimum of 6-7 dogs come in infected with it, every day. As girlx is no longer there, it won't do any good now, but when she returns, if her dog is better then she should stop in and get the jabs to bring back to TNP asap.

too late. i left for the visa run because i thought he was looking better. came back to find him dead. feeling pretty bad about that. fairly sure it was poison though, apparently he was vomiting really chemicall-y smelling stuff near the end.

too late. i left for the visa run because i thought he was looking better. came back to find him dead. feeling pretty bad about that. fairly sure it was poison though, apparently he was vomiting really chemicall-y smelling stuff near the end.

:o I'm sorry for your loss!!!

thanks. being that i love dogs more than people and he was my best friend, it hits pretty hard. i can't believe i made the decision to leave him and let him die along with strangers. :o anyway it's just a matter of time before my other dog is poisoned too, it's the way it is here. i would like to change things but i don't know how. thanks bambina for trying to help, you gave good advice.

thanks. being that i love dogs more than people and he was my best friend, it hits pretty hard. i can't believe i made the decision to leave him and let him die along with strangers. :o anyway it's just a matter of time before my other dog is poisoned too, it's the way it is here. i would like to change things but i don't know how. thanks bambina for trying to help, you gave good advice.

Can you not stop your dog wandering around unaccompanied and then you will be able to control what he is doing and eating?

in NZ people like to leave possum and rat poison over the place, so going trout fishing and things, have to keep the dog on the lead; that might help.

Not even gonna try and think about why you think someone would poison your dog!

The folks around me all LOVE dogs ... even the "Soi Dogs" get fed well here.

My neighbors all love our dog .. but she never goes anywhere when she's not on a lead. (Sadly doesn't get walked enough ... but thankfully a tiny chihuahua can get enough exercise inside!

steve no i can't really stop the dogs from running around- i live in the middle of the village and don't have a proper "yard"... if you know thailand you know that most dogs are running free. the only thing i could do would be to lock them in my house 24 hours a day or tie them up under the house- neither of which is an option for me.