Query About The Tackle/accomodation Available At Bung Sam Ran

dibbley

Hi

I am new to the fourm, but I have been ploughing my way through all the old info on the fishing part of this site, there is some really good stuff on there - I am coming over for a couple of weeks next October (long way off) and am fishing with some friends for a week at Gillham's in addition to this I have decided i am going to stop in Bangkok on the way to Krabi and have a few days fishing at BSR - I have a couple of queries I was hoping people might be able to help with -

1) I have read the suggested tackle options if taking on stuff, seems like the shimmy 6500bs and then either an ugly stik or one of the lomis rods make for a staunch basic set up - however, I was wanting to know what the quality of the rods and reels you can hire directly from the lake are - I have heard that BSR is a rod killer so are the rods they hire out up to the job and if so are the reels any good? Would it, for example, be worth my while taking a 6500b with me but using one of their rods or will I just be fine with the outfit they provide.

2) Do they do any deals on accommodation, so if I wanted to get an accommodation for 3 days and 3 nights and fish constantly do you get a better deal? Is the accommodation alright/secure, for example if I am coming straight from the airport with passport etc is there somewhere to leave valuables? How many people are allowed in an accommodation – if I book one could 2 or 3 people fish from the same platform with me?

3)If I hire a guide from the lake then do they automatically have a net with them or do I need to hire a net as well separately?

4) I have seen a few pics/video with the basic Mekong setup - coloured float with stop knot above, then method coil then shortish mono link and then hook - I presume a bit of tackle gets lost so do they sell the floats/method coils on site or should this be obtained in advance - is it worth me taking some of the large brand name method feeders that get used over in the UK or are the coils ideal for the job?

5) We are coming in early October and I have been led to believe it is going to be raining a bit in Krabi at this time of year, is it also going to be raining farily heavily in Bangkok and if so does this put the mekong off at all or are they as happy feeding in the rain as any conditions?

6)If I want to night fish is it worth my while taking a fishing alarm/pod with me or is this simply not necessary?

7) Last but not least, I would also dearly love to catch a Siamese carp from BSR, I appreciate there are fewer of these present than the Mekong, is it worth me fishing one rod for Mekong and one for Carp or will the Mekong just pick up the carp bait anyway? What is the best time of day for the Carp?

I appreciate there are an awful lot of questions, but any answers that can offer any insight into any of the above will be massively appreciated and if anyone fancies meeting up for a day or two fishing at BSR next October (appreciate that is an awfully long way away) then would be very keen to have a few beers and catch some decent fish in good company, so let me know.

Tight Lines and all the best

Al

All good questions.,

Here's some random answers: Accommodations- you can rent bungalows at BSR and stay overnight. I don't recommend it because you'll be bored out of your skull after a day or so and you'll realize you're staying just a 30 minute taxi ride away from a world class destination city. Better to stay in the city and take a taxi to BSR. Otherwise, you'll miss out on a lot of fun and good food. Not that the food at BSR isn't good- it is, and they bring it out to you at your fishing station on the docks or the bungalows- once you get there, you don't have to leave for food, drink, etc.

I've never stayed the night, so I can't speak for security. The bungalows I've rented for daytime use had virtually none, but they have different ones with A/C and other amenities for higher budget guests. I've seen up to a dozen or more people fishing off a bungalow. I've had 3 fishing with me, and just paid the fee per rod times the number of rods we were using at one time. I have always paid by the rod, not by the person.

They sell all the tackle you may want, up to tuna rods and reels. I've never rented their gear so I can't speak for the quality and condition of the rental gear. I'd suggest comparing the price of hauling your rod as extra luggage against a few bucks to rent. If you're not happy with the rentals, you can buy what you like for a price penalty that's probably less then the excess baggage fee a rod case would cost you nowadays with nickel and dime airlines.

You can buy all the terminal tackle you'll need for less than $5.00, including proper hooks, floats and bait holders. Don't bother chasing it down back home because it's just eclectic enough you'd spend hours and save a few pennies- maybe. The stuff they sell is good quality.

Hire a guide your first day for 1000 baht. I did and I was glad I did. I don't know if the net was included, but I didn't worry too much about the $2.00 net hire. Learn all you can from the guide and make another decision whether to hire him (or another guide) your second day.

The forecast is about 30-70% chance of a warm rain on October 13 next year. The fish don't care, they're pretty much conditioned to eat when they're fed and the guide will show you how to compensate for any change in conditions.

Edited by impulse

Hi Impulse

Thank you for taking the time to give such an in-depth responses, it is really appreciated.

I am not sure if I could ever get bored out of my skull provided I had a lake with fish in close by and a rod to hand smile.png . I would honestly fish every day of my life if I could and do my utmost to get out of London at least a couple of nights a week to spend the night bivvied up by a lake with the rods out rather than stay in the city. Sooo much nicer waking up and being able to stare over a lake at first light than waking up amongst the hustle and bustle of a big city.

But agree with what you say about Bangkok, I have been there twice before and thoroughly enjoyed it both times, it is a top class destination and the food smile.png is out of this world, thai food has to be up there with Indian food as the tastiest food ever!

You make a good point about the cost consideration of taking my own tackle – I think what I might do is take a big reel with me just in suitcase and then hire their gear, if it is not up to scratch then I can always try to buy a rod over there and use it with my reel – will probably work out cheaper than trying to take my own rod – Also glad to heat the terminal tackle they offer is up to scratch, that saves a lot of hassle!

I think for 1000 baht a day a guide is really excellent value, you get to tap into all that knowledge from someone who has spent a long time at the lake and also with the size of the fishing BSR I would have thought it worth paying that to have someone to hand to net them for you all day, but yup I will probably end up paying 1000 baht for a guide every day, Is there any guide operating from there that you would particularly recommend, or are they all very good?

Glad to hear the cats will still be feeding in the rain and even more pleased to hear the rain will be warm in October, a million times better than the cold stuff we get over here!

Many thanks again for having taken the time to respond,

All the best

Al

Edited by dibbley