Tiger Motorcycles Pride Of Thailand

god i have just put down 10000 for a tiger street bomber 150cc ...anyone had any problems with this bike???

They come with a toolkit.....you will be fine! whistling.gif

they have to provide a mini mechanic guy under the seat as well i think on top of the tool setbiggrin.png

then Tiger might be a good deal!

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

So basically if you buy a Tiger you have to practically rebuild it before you can be happy with it. Very bizarre.

I have had 6 Hondas. Apart from the one that had 32 years of Thai mechanics screwing it up, all were great and I didn't need to rebuild them before they worked.

The Boxer 250 has the worst sounding, tinny engine I have ever heard on anything. I've had lawnmowers with a gruntier sounding engine.

So basically if you buy a Tiger you have to practically rebuild it before you can be happy with it. Very bizarre.

I have had 6 Hondas. Apart from the one that had 32 years of Thai mechanics screwing it up, all were great and I didn't need to rebuild them before they worked.

The Boxer 250 has the worst sounding, tinny engine I have ever heard on anything. I've had lawnmowers with a gruntier sounding engine.

I agree that Honda offers better quality than Tiger. But my Boxer250 sounded very good. Much better than the stock CBR250s "wet fart".

• Like 1

I really do get pissed-off with the slagging that Tiger Boxers get on various forums.

I've had my 250 for 4 years. It's done 15,000 km - not a lot but, when it does go out, it's thrashed. I've fitted a fully-functioning digital speedo/tacho to it and, until I changed the gearing recently, the engine regularly saw 10,000 rpm on the clock for mile after mile after mile. Nothing's fallen off - unlike some Triumphs a few years ago where the frame cracked at the headstock - and, despite using gasohol exclusively, I've never had any problems with deterioration of the plastic fuel tank that expensive Ducatis & others experience. The bike still looks almost as good as new. I've had crap bikes from Suzuki & BSA (no surprise there, really) but some of those same bikes are seen as classics now. It's never broken down and I've never needed to do any repair work on it, although I'm the type of bloke who likes to pull things apart just for the hell of it - so I've often taken things off to "have a look".

I've replaced a few minor parts and my experience of Tiger spares service has been great with spares usually arriving at my home within 2 days - far better than the Ducati spares service in UK some years ago. But then, I can identify the part I want from a spares book, quote the number & order it myself - that seems to be a problem for the mechanics that many people use. But Tiger gets the blame rather than the mechanic.

The bike recently stood unused for 6 months, simply because I didnt want to go out & had other things on my plate. After kicking it over a few times - ignition off - to circulate oil, it started second prod of the starter button using old fuel.

I prefer the looks of the Boxer compared to the angular styling popular at the moment.

I'm convinced that many of the bad experiences some have with these bikes is due to their inexperience with bikes & machines in general, requiring them to use "mechanics". There's criticism of the mechanics that have worked on the bikes but that's a shortcoming of the mechanics, not the bike although it often seems to come across as more the bike's fault than the grease monkey's. Since the bikes were cheap when sold, I think they were largely bought by those who had no real idea about bikes.

Just in case you might think I'm a biking newbie, I've been riding for 40+ years & have passed UK's IAM & RoSPA Gold advanced tests. I've owned mostly bevel-drive Ducati singles & twins plus a recent 4-valve Duke - my all-time favourite bike has been a 1964 Ducati 250 - that's it in my avatar - on which I covered thousands of miles in UK, Ireland & Europe. I've had a modern Triumph 675 Daytona, Suzukis, Hondas plus classic BSAs & Sunbeams. The Tiger Boxer gives me what I want - simplicity, a classic bike feel, reasonable performance on my local backroads - I almost never go on highways because all that straight-line use isn't really riding in my opinion.

Oh, I mustn't forget - it's also FUN!!!

So please dont believe all the negative publicity that Tigers receive - a lot of the blame must rest with bad owners & even worse mechanics. All makes of bike have been considered crap by somebody in the past but it's all so subjective. I hate Harleys and wouldn't have one as a gift but others love 'em.

so you say, if a bike is breaking down and if we cant repair it, are we bad owners?

funny really.

i dont want to repair anything and just want to ride my bike as i have no time so am i a bad owner?

I really do get pissed-off with the slagging that Tiger Boxers get on various forums.

I've had my 250 for 4 years. It's done 15,000 km - not a lot but, when it does go out, it's thrashed. I've fitted a fully-functioning digital speedo/tacho to it and, until I changed the gearing recently, the engine regularly saw 10,000 rpm on the clock for mile after mile after mile. Nothing's fallen off - unlike some Triumphs a few years ago where the frame cracked at the headstock - and, despite using gasohol exclusively, I've never had any problems with deterioration of the plastic fuel tank that expensive Ducatis & others experience. The bike still looks almost as good as new. I've had crap bikes from Suzuki & BSA (no surprise there, really) but some of those same bikes are seen as classics now. It's never broken down and I've never needed to do any repair work on it, although I'm the type of bloke who likes to pull things apart just for the hell of it - so I've often taken things off to "have a look".

I've replaced a few minor parts and my experience of Tiger spares service has been great with spares usually arriving at my home within 2 days - far better than the Ducati spares service in UK some years ago. But then, I can identify the part I want from a spares book, quote the number & order it myself - that seems to be a problem for the mechanics that many people use. But Tiger gets the blame rather than the mechanic.

The bike recently stood unused for 6 months, simply because I didnt want to go out & had other things on my plate. After kicking it over a few times - ignition off - to circulate oil, it started second prod of the starter button using old fuel.

I prefer the looks of the Boxer compared to the angular styling popular at the moment.

I'm convinced that many of the bad experiences some have with these bikes is due to their inexperience with bikes & machines in general, requiring them to use "mechanics". There's criticism of the mechanics that have worked on the bikes but that's a shortcoming of the mechanics, not the bike although it often seems to come across as more the bike's fault than the grease monkey's. Since the bikes were cheap when sold, I think they were largely bought by those who had no real idea about bikes.

Just in case you might think I'm a biking newbie, I've been riding for 40+ years & have passed UK's IAM & RoSPA Gold advanced tests. I've owned mostly bevel-drive Ducati singles & twins plus a recent 4-valve Duke - my all-time favourite bike has been a 1964 Ducati 250 - that's it in my avatar - on which I covered thousands of miles in UK, Ireland & Europe. I've had a modern Triumph 675 Daytona, Suzukis, Hondas plus classic BSAs & Sunbeams. The Tiger Boxer gives me what I want - simplicity, a classic bike feel, reasonable performance on my local backroads - I almost never go on highways because all that straight-line use isn't really riding in my opinion.

So please dont believe all the negative publicity that Tigers receive - a lot of the blame must rest with bad owners & even worse mechanics. All makes of bike have been considered crap by somebody in the past but it's all so subjective. I hate Harleys and wouldn't have one as a gift but others love 'em.

so you say, if a bike is breaking down and if we cant repair it, are we bad owners?

funny really.

i dont want to repair anything and just want to ride my bike as i have no time so am i a bad owner?

With real motorbikes you usually need to care for them yourself just like you would have to care for a horse. You have to learn what you can do yourself and what needs help.

Riding motorcyles is not twist and go.

• Like 1

That's probably the reason why the BiB gave up on them :D

With real motorbikes you usually need to care for them yourself just like you would have to care for a horse. You have to learn what you can do yourself and what needs help.

What a crock.

• Like 2

funny really.

really?

it has to be twist and go only actually!!!

why i need to repair my new 0 km bike?

a good bike is the one you dont need to work on it unless you like to work on it.

Actually the Tiger Boxer 250RS has a good reputation for durability, the quality only dropped when Sachs Bikes ended the contract with Tiger Motor. And Tiger Motor decided to build copies of the Sachs X-Road 250 from parts they bought from some Chinese “copy” parts suppliers.

It's not a big secret that a good amount of the parts from Boxer 250RS engine come from Zongshen Motorcycles, while they surely not the cheapest they offer quality. But as Tiger Motor was buying “copy” parts from some factories they quickly found out that some factories also could supply them with cheaper parts they normally sourced at Zongshen...

The end is that parts from Zongshen had perfect fit with a tolerance that equals any European or American standard, and the parts from the alternative Chinese suppliers had a tolerance you could notice with the naked eye. Of course if you build an engine with parts that fit poorly you get problems and the quality of the Tiger Boxer 250RS dropped dramatically.

Fast forward to today, I have seen a few newly build Tiger F4 250 and it seems that Tiger is buying parts from Zongshen again, as parts fit perfectly and quality is back to the good standard.

Yes, the Tiger Boxer 250RS is not equipped with the most modern engine, but that doesn't says anything about durability or quality.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

ok back done 1200 km on my tiger street bomber ..this is what has happened so far ...back foot peg fell off due to wrong size bolt ...fuel gauge did not work .the carb was set up wrong ...they took it back after 1 week i got it back been a few weeks now and the digital clock flickers ...while washing the bike a big lump of the back mud gaurd came of in my hand ...i also can hear there is something wrong with the back wheel bearings ....not a happy chap ...called them yesterday to pick the pick up and return my money ,lets see what happens ...shame really coz i like the bike ..shame its been put together by monkeys !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

back again tiger didnt want to give my money back so they said they would give me a new bike i thought ok lets see how this goes ..got my new bike 4 days ago on the first day i spotted a crack in the left hand brake lever bracketunsure.png so they came out 2 days later to replace it, fine ....2 days later the weld broke on the bracket which holds on the exhaust to the framehuh.png now waiting for an engineer to come and see me i would advise all not buy tiger ....go with a well named brand ...facepalm.gif

• 4 months later...

I own my boxer now for nearly 7 years

i had some minor issues and sorted them out ,Got 140 000 kms on my boxer still going strong just rode this weekend another 700 kms .

About the engine the boxer is already more than 30 years in production the engine was a Honda copy nobody had heard from zongshen yet .I think there is no connection to zongshen .i never got any issues on my engine .I only changed the camshaft after 110 000 km thats it

nowadays i dont know since pariya and his dad left TIGER

my next one probably benelli 300

cheers

I agree that Honda offers better quality than Tiger. But my Boxer250 sounded very good. Much better than the stock CBR250s "wet fart".

thats what i think too the boxer sounds much better than any 250 cc jap bikes they sound like a bee in a pickle pot but thats personal of course

• Like 1

My first bike in Thailand was a Boxer ST200 and I loved it. Only sold it to upgrade to a Suzuki Bandit which I didn't like that much (don't like inline 4s, I realized). Still miss it sometimes (the Boxer).

Agree that the Boxer sounds much better than the new small Hondas.

Hi Guys ,

As i said in other treads i have a boxer 250cc for 6 years by now ridden it 145000 km . Many of the issues i read i never faced

Engine never hd any flaws only a new camshaft after 110 k 1250 Bht only

I had very minor flaws such as front bracket broke after 10 000 km it was made from a 3 mm triangle steel plate i rebuilt it with a 5 mm never broke again

I lost tail licht once . It's the same tail light as on the Honda wave plastic bracket i made and alu bracket never broke anymore

Speedo i change to digital speedo from the sachs maddass (the original was real crap) the digital still works nowadays .

I read here the USD forks gave many a problem mine are there 140 k never any oil leak ?????

What I experienced with Tiger is .I told them my minor flaws and solutions and they never did anything to it .Which is really sad for them .

Sry for my writing batteries from my keyboard were empty hahaha

front fender bracket broke

the tail light bracket i made one from alu

Anyway i dont want to elaborate anymore TIGER doesnt produce the boxer anymore so someday i have to go to Honda CBF300 or the Benelli 300

Or will my BAD TIGER BOXER 232 cc last forever (145000 kms).

• 2 months later...

I bought my Tiger Boxer 200 in 2006 with double diskbrake at my dealer, PS Leasing across Rajaphat University in Buri Ram. It's done about 45000 km and it still works pretty well. Pretty sturdy, but it has various weaknesses and quality issues. The engine is pretty good and overall the does better than I thought it would.

My dealer told me that the company of Tiger, Thai Motorcycles, has stopped producing motorbikes. Does someone know something about this rumour? When and why did they stop production? Have they stopped definitely? Or have they set up a new company instead?

In about 9 months I want to leave (my Thai) home and go and live in a Buddhist monastery. I think about selling the bike or perhaps offering it to a collector or museum (Jesada Technik Museum??). Could anyone advise me on this? Or might someone of you on Thaivisa be interested in buying for a low price?

They proceeds will all go to making merit (tam bun) anyway. How much could I ask, since I don't know whether parts are still available.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I bought my Tiger Boxer 200 in 2006 with double diskbrake at my dealer, PS Leasing across Rajaphat University in Buri Ram. It's done about 45000 km and it still works pretty well. Pretty sturdy, but it has various weaknesses and quality issues. The engine is pretty good and overall the does better than I thought it would.

My dealer told me that the company of Tiger, Thai Motorcycles, has stopped producing motorbikes. Does someone know something about this rumour? When and why did they stop production? Have they stopped definitely? Or have they set up a new company instead?

In about 9 months I want to leave (my Thai) home and go and live in a Buddhist monastery. I think about selling the bike or perhaps offering it to a collector or museum (Jesada Technik Museum??). Could anyone advise me on this? Or might someone of you on Thaivisa be interested in buying for a low price?

They proceeds will all go to making merit (tam bun) anyway. How much could I ask, since I don't know whether parts are still available.

Might be worth getting a few picture posters made and asking the local Farang "hangouts" if they would mind displaying them (Paddys/Bamboo/Moung Pizza, for instance)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First: is it allowed to advertise here? Or does this have to placed in classifieds?

If yes:

I'll sell it cheap because I'd like to 'get rid' of it. Can't take it with me, too big for others in the family, they've already got a Honda Wave. Don't wanna leave it home, because it'll stand in the way and will just rust away.

If you're interested please let me know. Can probably sell it by the end of june-first two weeks of July.