Retiring To Thailand - What Is The Best Way To Send My Personal Effects?

I'm moving to Chiang Mai in April or May on an A-O visa and want to send some stuff. I would like to send some boxes of mostly clothes, art works, and my CD's & DVD's. Maybe 3 or 4 boxes of about 20 lbs each.

I would like to send by surface USPS to my friend in CM. That way it only costs about $30 per box and takes 4 to 6 weeks and would be there about the time I arrive. Not sure if Thai customs would be a problem.

The other way is to wait untill I get setup in CM with a house or a condo and have my daughter send my things to me from here in San Antonio, but then I have to wait quite awhile.

Anyone have any ideas or experience getting things sent to Thailand?

I'm moving to Chiang Mai in April or May on an A-O visa and want to send some stuff. I would like to send some boxes of mostly clothes, art works, and my CD's & DVD's. Maybe 3 or 4 boxes of about 20 lbs each.

I would like to send by surface USPS to my friend in CM. That way it only costs about $30 per box and takes 4 to 6 weeks and would be there about the time I arrive. Not sure if Thai customs would be a problem.

The other way is to wait untill I get setup in CM with a house or a condo and have my daughter send my things to me from here in San Antonio, but then I have to wait quite awhile.

Anyone have any ideas or experience getting things sent to Thailand?

Send your things in "USPS Mail Bags"

A little know USPS shipping of things like used clothes and books is:

It costs $11 (USD) to have a USPS Mail Bag sent to Thailand.

I have sent used books and clothes this way to Wat Hadsuansuk in Warin Thailand (Warin is across the Mun River from Ubon Ratchatani. The last time I used the mail bags was in November of last year.

Go your post office and tell them you are going to send used clothes to Thailand and inquire the $11 mail bag option is still available.

:o

I have sent lots of parcels through the regular mail and there has never been a customs problem on the Thai side.

Declare the contents correctly on the form the dispatching U.S. post office gives you. Thai customs then decides what, if any, customs duty to assess.

---------------

Maestro

Make sure you declare the items correctly and as USED and a GIFT.

It may be smart to wait a few days between parcels just so that customs don't see a whole bunch of stuff going to the same location.

• 8 months later...

I hate resurrecting an older thread, but I have a question that is in regards to this. I am currently at an APO, and need to send one full computer tower and 2 external enclosures to Thailand. They're obviously used, but I doubt I can get away with declaring them as gifts. What type of customs duties should I expect? How does payment of those said duties work? Is it a pay when we show up at your door, or we give you a call and you have to come down to (?)Bangkok or local post office and pay?

Thank you to anyone who can answer the question(s).

There is a well-defined allowance for sending a container load - and perhaps also a half container load - within 6 months of arriving in Thailand. You're not allowed more than two of any particular items (probably doesn't count clothes in that equation). Best is if you could have a sophisticated Thai person talk with customs people (where they'll be arriving) before the shipment arrives. Not an easy assignment, I know. The reason, Thai bureaucracy is and its application varies depending on who's on duty, and where things are taking place. Fraught with subjectiveness. The rules state 'container load' but one assumes that would pertain to less than that large quantity.

My personal experience with having things shipped to me (3 new climbing ropes) was an insistance from BKK that I pay 1.5 times the retail value, or the shipment would get sent back. I called customs long-distance and with much hemming and hawing was able to get the Customs Official to halve his ransom. From that point on, I've decided that if I get anything shipped, it will be to a Thai person's name or, better than that, a school's name and address. Again, everything's subjective, so good luck!

Edited by brahmburgers

When I retired I shipped everything I owned to Thailand in a container. I lived in the Los Angeles area and use a shipping company named Rama Shipping. They have offices both in L.A. and BKK. The container was deliveries straight to my front door way out, 170 kilometers east from Bangkok. The container was NEVER opened. I had a complete list of absolutely everything the container contents that I had supplied to Rama Shipping. I took just about to the day 30 days.

Jim

As retiree you are allowed to ship items to your new homecountry.

No problems with customs if you follow the rules.

I had a full 40 ft container :o

Must be shipped within a half year after your arrival.

I thought this rule had been stopped and that household effects (even with a long stay visa) were not tax free anymore..

My mother is emmigrating soon and this may become an issue.. Problem she has is shes coming here (on a non imm O) For 6 months to see if she likes it asnd then returning to close her UK house..

Even when they were tax free immigration could be bastrads.. I brought 3 pallets by air frieght.. 5 marble speakers of 7500 USD value, a projection HT, my DVD and CD collection, etc etc etc.. They simply blackmailed some T money out of it.. Otherwise goods were going to be left outside, in an unsecured area, while I had to pay storage while they processed the free option for days or weeks.. The final straw was when they treatened to have to look inside the speakers !!! Wasnt a lot of money at all but welcome to Thailand.

Unless you are working in Thailand all shipments are subject to Customs duty and wording on the Customs web site was changed to point out that retirement did not equate to duty free entry. If and what those duties will be is another story but in general people do not seem to have too much problem if willing to abide by the norms (not shipping multi numbers of the same type items and accepting that some duty will likely be required). Those with a Thai spouse have other options as a returning Thai can import duty free if meeting requirements.

If the 'within 6 month of arrival' rule still applies in the case of retirement how is date of 'arrival' defined?

I am presently here on a 1 yr multiple entry non immig o visa (my first) expiring march 07. At some stage before its expiry I will apply for its extension to a retirement visa.

Surely my 6 months have not already lapsed because it's more than 6 months since I first arrived in april under the o visa.

When I retired I shipped everything I owned to Thailand in a container. I lived in the Los Angeles area and use a shipping company named Rama Shipping. They have offices both in L.A. and BKK. The container was deliveries straight to my front door way out, 170 kilometers east from Bangkok. The container was NEVER opened. I had a complete list of absolutely everything the container contents that I had supplied to Rama Shipping. I took just about to the day 30 days.

Jim

So the conclusion is that my best option is to find a reputable shipping company with offices (or affiliates) at both ends to take care of everything on a door to door service - and that would also minimize (or eliminate) imposition of duty among other hassles?

Any recommendation for a name for paris to thailand shipment?

Note : Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified...

Above rule is quite clear and confirms what lopburi3 says.

You might want to have a look here:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold

@ Dutch. Believe your move was quite some time ago and you have a Thai wife, if my memory does not fail me. :o

If the 'within 6 month of arrival' rule still applies in the case of retirement how is date of 'arrival' defined?

I am presently here on a 1 yr multiple entry non immig o visa (my first) expiring march 07. At some stage before its expiry I will apply for its extension to a retirement visa.

Surely my 6 months have not already lapsed because it's more than 6 months since I first arrived in april under the o visa.

If you apply for an extension on the grounds of retirement, the twelve month period will start from the date you last entered the Kingdom.

I should imagine that this date will also be deemed as your 'date of arrival' as regards inbound personal effects.

No doubt Lop or Sunbelt will correct me if I am wrong... :o

Axel.

The move was about 2 years ago and your first advice about 3 years ago.

I used both names on the documents

I also used a well known shipping company on a door to door base.

Cost a little bit :o but NO trouble

Next time, I will go with DHL, Fed Ex or sombody that has contacts and maybe get it thru cheaper.
Don't count on it. I FedEx'd a 20kg box of used personal effects, including an LCD monitor, and had to pay B5,000 (no receipt) to get it released by Thai Customs. I was on my own, FedEx coud not (would not?) assist.

If you apply for an extension on the grounds of retirement, the twelve month period will start from the date you last entered the Kingdom.

I should imagine that this date will also be deemed as your 'date of arrival' as regards inbound personal effects.

No doubt Lop or Sunbelt will correct me if I am wrong... :o

In that case this an added reason for me to delay the application for my extension to 'the last moment' so as to give myself the minimize the possibility of falling outside the 6 month limit - since I'll probably be having the stuff sent by sea.

Axel.

The move was about 2 years ago and your first advice about 3 years ago.

I used both names on the documents

I also used a well known shipping company on a door to door base.

Cost a little bit :D but NO trouble

Hi Dutch,

3 years, time is running.

As others (and myself) pointed out, meanwhile there have been some changes. Thai-wife returning is still ok, retirement is not ok.

So you still would not have problems, but if both are non-Thai duty comes up and with it the negotiations with customs officers. :o

I hate to sound dense, but I want to make sure I do this right. If I send it to the wife, especially if it has her name on it--better in Thai script--there should be little to now problem? Even if it comes through the USPS parcel delivery option?

I hate to sound dense, but I want to make sure I do this right. If I send it to the wife, especially if it has her name on it--better in Thai script--there should be little to now problem? Even if it comes through the USPS parcel delivery option?

Only if the wife has been living overseas and is entitled to duty free entry of effects would it be duty free. Otherwise duty may well be required before it is released.

Note : Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified...

Above rule is quite clear and confirms what lopburi3 says.

You might want to have a look here:

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/House...nuNme=HouseHold

@ Dutch. Believe your move was quite some time ago and you have a Thai wife, if my memory does not fail me. :o

Thanks for that link Axel.

Says it all.

Cheers

Is there some way to estimate (max) duty? Any such info provided by thai customs? In particular what is their treatment of books?

Can anyone recommend a shipper with presence and/or experience both ends for france-thailan shipment who'll quote me for a door to door, 'everything taken care of' service?