Sandy, Avocados And Figs

If hurricane Sandy got you down with this post :

There is still hope, nothing like a nice garden to call your own.

Some soon to be delicious figs; equally good avocado from the garden.

At least we will not starve; just joking, global warming is a very serious threat to our existence.

Witness the rainy season this year !!!

post-14625-0-96912500-1352211760_thumb.j

post-14625-0-19916200-1352211824_thumb.j

• Like 1

Scares the living heck out of me. I've been coming here to the village for 12 years and living here for four. In that short time the effects of climate changes here are dramatic. The farmers are scratching their heads, chili crops two months ahead of last year. Pond level down 400mm as well. Fewer wild fish around. And temperature daily here seems much hotter than normal for this time of year.

Mother Nature is not a happy camper!

Must add, garden looks great. I have an allergic reaction to figs but they look very healthy.

Edited by IsaanAussie
  • Like 1

Scares the living heck out of me. I've been coming here to the village for 12 years and living here for four. In that short time the effects of climate changes here are dramatic. The farmers are scratching their heads, chili crops two months ahead of last year. Pond level down 400mm as well. Fewer wild fish around. And temperature daily here seems much hotter than normal for this time of year.

Mother Nature is not a happy camper!

Must add, garden looks great. I have an allergic reaction to figs but they look very healthy.

Well, we have other nice things to pick from; like this unusual second "date" crop of the year; ready to be cleaned & dried.

See, if if turns into a desert, I am prepared !!

All kidding aside, you want to be scared read this :

http://zeenews.india...ing_809586.html

Our rainy season is an extension on the Indian monsoon. !

post-14625-0-63802800-1352459758_thumb.j

Suppliers are to be found around BKK; you need to do some leg work in Thai.

You or someone fluent in Thai needs to Google figs in Thai.

Once you have some; relatively easy to grow.

Full Sun, good drainage, healthy top soil (complemented by caw manure).

Good luck

I own a small Hass avocado farm (couple of fig trees there too) back in Southern California. My ex-wife takes care of it while I'm in Thailand. I tried growing some Hass from seed here in Thailand (I know it would not be pure Hass), but they did not take.

Lately back in California, there appears to be an increasing frequency of heatwaves. These heatwaves burn the crap out of the avo leaves, even if they get watered a lot. I might not have an avocado farm for too much longer at this rate! blink.png

• 2 weeks later...