Hi Im A Fifo Worker Looking To Move To Thailand Looking For Some Advice From Other Guys.

Thailand2012

Hello my name is Tim,

Im looking for some info regarding living in thailand and doing fifo,Im over living in wa and its expensive costs of living.I would like to know hear from anyone who was in my position and taken the punt how has it worked out for you??.I have consistent work im willing to get myself from thai to perth at my own expense i have weighed it up and i think i would be a little better off.Im after pertanant information for example how do you go about d&a's ect can you do them over in thai?.Im looking at living in patts jomtein areas,can you claim flights ect on tax?.

Basically as you guys know we work very hard long swings and im bored out of my skull with my downtime in perth and kal.I would well and truly love to be able to put my feet up in thailand in my downtime.Any relavent info would be greatly appreciated.Im a first time poster and a long time reader so i know how topics can get of subject,I would honestly like to hear from anyone with relavent info thanks,any help would be much appreciated.

Unless you can get employed by a Thai company to do this work or register a business that you have to be, (not chose to be) in Thailand to operate you will not get a Non Immigration business visa and are therefore a tourist and only eligible for a touirst visa, unless you can meet education or retirement or marriage visa requirements.

If you can't do either of the first two then you don't get a tax number and as said are a tourist still registered as an Australian resident/tax payer.

You would not be able to claim the cost of travel as a deduction for Australian income tax purposes.

ok but thailand would me my home so to speak so wouldnt that be different as i would have no fixed address in au?

I assume you are working in the mines??

If you are working in Aus you will not be able to avoid the ATO and you will not be able to claim travel expenses from Thailand. Still cost of living in Thailand even paying for the flights will most likely be in your favor. You could also look at mine work in other countries such as Africa, declare yourself non resident in Aus and avoid tax.

<deleted> is FIFO?

Fly in fly out.....

But to answer the OP question, working in Aussie and living somewhere else does nothing for your tax situation, you will still be paying Aussie tax, however there is nothing which would stop you living in Thailand and working in Aussie and one wuld guess you would flip in an out of Thailand on 30 day visa waivers

<deleted> is FIFO?

Fly in fly out.....

But to answer the OP question, working in Aussie and living somewhere else does nothing for your tax situation, you will still be paying Aussie tax, however there is nothing which would stop you living in Thailand and working in Aussie and one wuld guess you would flip in an out of Thailand on 30 day visa waivers

That is what I used to do, on a 6 and 2 rotation out of Eastern Europe. It worked quite well too and no Aussie tax to be paid.

Cheap, warm living in Thailand.

Now I am based out of Indo doing the same thing.

<deleted> is FIFO?

Fly in fly out.....

That is what I used to do, on a 6 and 2 rotation out of Eastern Europe. It worked quite well too and no Aussie tax to be paid.

Cheap, warm living in Thailand.

Now I am based out of Indo doing the same thing.

sorry guys i will explain i wasnt trying to evade tax more to the piont i was asking about claiming my flights in and out for work purposes.

You would not be able to claim the cost of travel as a deduction for Australian income tax purposes.

ok but thailand would me my home so to speak so wouldnt that be different as i would have no fixed address in au?

I assume you are working in the mines??

If you are working in Aus you will not be able to avoid the ATO and you will not be able to claim travel expenses from Thailand. Still cost of living in Thailand even paying for the flights will most likely be in your favor. You could also look at mine work in other countries such as Africa, declare yourself non resident in Aus and avoid tax.

no sorry mate i meant claiming my flights flying in out for work purposes as for working in other countries i will be looking into that when im based and settled in thai thanks

If you can't do either of the first two then you don't get a tax number and as said are a tourist still registered as an Australian resident/tax payer.

Even if you are employed by a Thai company in Thailand and paying tax in Thailand, you would still be registered as an Aussie resident/tax payer, the tax rules in Aussie have changed over the last few years and the loop holes that existed previously have been efrfectively closed and now quite hard to get declared non-resident for tax according to some aussie collegues of mine who actually work in Thailand.

In the OP case if he is working in Aussie and is an Aussie citizen, even working for a Thai company to do this work, he is not going to get around the Aussie tax laws as he will be taxed at source...

With that being said there is nothing stopping him living in Thailand on his off time

Even if you are employed by a Thai company in Thailand and paying tax in Thailand, you would still be registered as an Aussie resident/tax payer, the tax rules in Aussie have changed over the last few years and the loop holes that existed previously have been efrfectively closed and now quite hard to get declared non-resident for tax according to some aussie collegues of mine who actually work in Thailand.

In the OP case if he is working in Aussie and is an Aussie citizen, even working for a Thai company to do this work, he is not going to get around the Aussie tax laws as he will be taxed at source...

With that being said there is nothing stopping him living in Thailand on his off time

Thats correct.

I know quite a few Aussies who have worked internationally for several years without working in Australia and are still paying the ATO the difference between local tax rate and the Aussie tax rate plus super.

Unless, like me you don't have any ties to Aust., no houses, no car and officially not even a drivers license as you have to be a resident to hold a drivers license (I know this as I have tried to renew mine) you can get yourself declared non resident.

The last few years I paid 16% in South Korea and lived in Indo on my off swing.

Ofcourse that has all changed for me now (for those that can see my IP).

<deleted> is FIFO?

<deleted> is <deleted>? :) There is such a thing as a First In First Out accountant and that's where my head went. Show what I know about working a various countries. As CMK said, there's also Last in First Out accounting and if that what you do, that's what you are.

sorry guys i will explain i wasnt trying to evade tax more to the piont i was asking about claiming my flights in and out for work purposes.

You cannot claim travel expenses to and from work in Australia. Why would you be able to claim travel expenses to and from Thailand, back to Australia?

Simple answer: you cannot.

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. Work in WA FIFO an live in pratamuk hill in the middle of Pattaya and Jomtien. In my opinion your definitely going to love living in Thailand compared to aus especially in pattaya/jomtien you have the ease of city living with everything you need close by. 7/11 within 100 metres to most condo's pharmacies restaurants bars all in close proximity and far cheaper than Perth.

With the tax issue as far as I know you can't avoid it. Even declaring as a non resident you are worse off. The tax free threshold now is $18000 I think and as a non resident you cannot claim this, you don't have to pay Medicare and flood levy but these two do not out way the new threshold which has just changed. Over the year you are still better off as a resident. You also cannot claim flights to and from aus.

The best option would be to find an offshore company with tax loopholes and all that goes with it but these are harder to find.

If your just coming to Thailand under 1 month you probably know you can just enter with the visa exempt. Or if you want to get setup with licences bank account and the likes you might want to come in at one point on a marriage business or ed visa to obtain these things.

D & A as far as I know have to be done at a clinic in aus but don't quote me as I'm looking into this now for myself for shutdown work.

Anyways if you have any other queries just pm me.

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. Work in WA FIFO an live in pratamuk hill in the middle of Pattaya and Jomtien. In my opinion your definitely going to love living in Thailand compared to aus especially in pattaya/jomtien you have the ease of city living with everything you need close by. 7/11 within 100 metres to most condo's pharmacies restaurants bars all in close proximity and far cheaper than Perth.

With the tax issue as far as I know you can't avoid it. Even declaring as a non resident you are worse off. The tax free threshold now is $18000 I think and as a non resident you cannot claim this, you don't have to pay Medicare and flood levy but these two do not out way the new threshold which has just changed. Over the year you are still better off as a resident. You also cannot claim flights to and from aus.

The best option would be to find an offshore company with tax loopholes and all that goes with it but these are harder to find.

If your just coming to Thailand under 1 month you probably know you can just enter with the visa exempt. Or if you want to get setup with licences bank account and the likes you might want to come in at one point on a marriage business or ed visa to obtain these things.

D & A as far as I know have to be done at a clinic in aus but don't quote me as I'm looking into this now for myself for shutdown work.

Anyways if you have any other queries just pm me.

thanks mate i have pmd you and ill wait for your reply cheers tim.

You cannot claim travel expenses to and from work in Australia. Why would you be able to claim travel expenses to and from Thailand, back to Australia?

i wasnt trying to claim travel expenses read proprely thanks.

i wasnt trying to claim travel expenses read proprely thanks.

i was trying to claim work related expenses.

The tax law has been pretty much the same in Aust for years. You pay tax where you earn your monies. As you are also being paid by an Australian registered company that will also file with the tax office there is no real way around it. There have been all sorts of schemes and scams over the years to get around this. But the cost of setting them up keeps lawyers and accountants rich and the jails are full of both these professions and their clients.

But, I think living in LOS on your downtime is a great idea - give it a go. The difference in the cost of living between Perth and BKK will more than cover your airfares. You would have to save between 30-60k bht a month just on rent for an average small place and a meal and a pint in a Perth pub is now 1200bht, (can be a little less but also a lot more).

The tax law has been pretty much the same in Aust for years. You pay tax where you earn your monies. As you are also being paid by an Australian registered company that will also file with the tax office there is no real way around it. There have been all sorts of schemes and scams over the years to get around this. But the cost of setting them up keeps lawyers and accountants rich and the jails are full of both these professions and their clients.

But, I think living in LOS on your downtime is a great idea - give it a go. The difference in the cost of living between Perth and BKK will more than cover your airfares. You would have to save between 30-60k bht a month just on rent for an average small place and a meal and a pint in a Perth pub is now 1200bht, (can be a little less but also a lot more).

yes true im only trying to find out if i can claim my flights to and from on tax.ive done my maths and i would be at least 20kbaht better off and thats with falling in love in patts every night 555 and yes 1 meal and 1 pint easy 1200 bht but you cant have just have 1 pint maybe 8-10 know that adds up and if your dumb enough to think your a chance spend 1500bht on farang bitch and not even get a phone number fuc_k that.in thai but a ladie a drink or 2 and your guaranteed :)

Well i will tell you straight

Your not getting the picture

The Auss Gov are going to give you sweet FA

You sound like a Kiwi working in the mines on a 2/1 or more not a Construction worker on 26/9 or 4//1

It is like when you except a Perth based job only - knowing you will pay for everthing else since you live in Sydney NOT CLAIMABLE

i MYSELF GO THROUGH THIS

THATS WHY I VOTE SO THE GOV CAN LOOK AFTER THE PEOPLE WHO ARE PREPARED TO PAY & WORK

Since ther is no work on the East cost

I am in the same situation as your self

You won't be eligible for any tax breaks ,even your flights can't be claimed as you are not entering Thailand on business and thus they can't be used as a travel expence

If you have been in the mines /offshore you should have already secured the services of a tax accountant to getthe best returns for you ,if not I'd be doing that prior to anything

I work a Norwegian roster which is handy but can sometimes play havoc with the VIsa in Thailand

The days of working offshore and non tax resident are gone ..you will get pounded on your return ...the tax laws in Australia are fair but hard

If I was you I would look in to where I can save money in this down time R&R ,can you join loyaty schemes like krissflyer /orchid club / and avail of the flight points bonus I don't know what your roster is but currently if you are purchasing 6 return flights ex Bangkok to Perth your sevent is just about free

If your in Perth. there is a travel agent in North BRidge ill look up the contact they always seem to have cheaper flights to bkk ex Perth and a lot of returning Thai nationals use them

What ever you decide to do do it with the consideration that Pattaya is not going anywhere and you can come and check out apartments and where you actually want to live prior to making the jump

I did it 8 years ago and I haven't looked back

Currently when I crew change I leave Perth domestic and straight tothe international on a free bus ,and on my return leg I arrive at 7.30 am for a flight up north at midday but it's been a long time getting the crew change day to really suit me

What ever you decide best of luck

I am in the same situation as your self

You won't be eligible for any tax breaks ,even your flights can't be claimed as you are not entering Thailand on business and thus they can't be used as a travel expence

If you have been in the mines /offshore you should have already secured the services of a tax accountant to getthe best returns for you ,if not I'd be doing that prior to anything

I work a Norwegian roster which is handy but can sometimes play havoc with the VIsa in Thailand

The days of working offshore and non tax resident are gone ..you will get pounded on your return ...the tax laws in Australia are fair but hard

If I was you I would look in to where I can save money in this down time R&R ,can you join loyaty schemes like krissflyer /orchid club / and avail of the flight points bonus I don't know what your roster is but currently if you are purchasing 6 return flights ex Bangkok to Perth your sevent is just about free

If your in Perth. there is a travel agent in North BRidge ill look up the contact they always seem to have cheaper flights to bkk ex Perth and a lot of returning Thai nationals use them

What ever you decide to do do it with the consideration that Pattaya is not going anywhere and you can come and check out apartments and where you actually want to live prior to making the jump

I did it 8 years ago and I haven't looked back

Currently when I crew change I leave Perth domestic and straight tothe international on a free bus ,and on my return leg I arrive at 7.30 am for a flight up north at midday but it's been a long time getting the crew change day to really suit me

What ever you decide best of luck

yes ok thanks mate i was only hoping i could claim my flights mai pen rai.I will be looking into loyalty programs to gain pionts ect,I will be heading over to patts next week throw all my shit which is not much in storage and look around.A couple guys i have pmd and they are more than happy to piont me in the right direction which was good of them.I have good friends here who kjnow guys who live there as well so i will be on a mission when i hit patts.I do mostly shuts and contracts so i will be flying often thats y i was hoping i could claim something,anyway thats not going to stop me from taking a punt and see how i go.Thanks for your advice all taken on board tim.

The travel agent is Asia world travel in north bridge up near the restaurant the red tea pot

Head in there when your off and see what sort of flight deals they do

When I used them they took a copyofmy credit card and when I booked a flight they could do it there and then

They were very legit and honest

Prior to renting a pad in pattaya have a good look around I'm not sure what your budget is but try look on Thai websites ,get a friend to help you source something that is value for money

There are many guys o this site with huge amounts of experience in Thailand who can lead you the right way

I would suggest from my experience there are some things you will need to orginise .

1 I don't care what anybody else says get international health insurance

2 open a bank account

3 reduce the limit on your credit card to 1500 aus dollars just enough to get out and home shud things blow up in your face

4 Never lend any body any money

5 find at least one good friend and exchange details of you family in Perth in case anything happens to you

6 wear a rubber

Best of luck with your adventure

On a side note

I prebook all my flights for the year (I'm lucky my employer reimburses me )

Currently I pay on average over the year 650 aus when I prebook

Best of luck

Steve