Q's About Different Scooters (Mio, Click, Etc) N Buying

knod

Hi I'm looking to buy my first bike and have a few questions if anyone can help. I'll be using it in bkk mostly to go to the shops or gym. I've been looking at the Mio basically because its 125cc, auto, looks ok n is cheaper then a scoopy and click.

1. Is there a certain model and year of Mio I should look for? I see the GT, GTX, and RR. Whats the difference?

2. I like the look of the fino but is there any 125cc models? will I actually notice a difference in power between a fino 115 and mio 125?

3. If i do manage to find a decent prices click or scoopy, is there a certain model I should be looking for? I keep reading 2012 click are great but what about the 2010, 2011 models like?

4. If I have to take it to a mechanic will a Mio/Fino be easier/cheaper to get fixed than a click/scoopy because they are carb?

4. Is buying from mocyc safe? I'm just worried that a lot of bikes might be ex taxis that have had the odometers disconnected for a while.

5. Can i get a motorcycle licence on a tourist visa?

Thanks

Edited by knod

If you like the look of the Yamaha Fino 115, you should also look at the Suzuki Jelato 125, which not only has 10cc more but is also equipped with a modern fuel-injection system... And yes, you feel the difference between an 115cc carburetor and a 125cc fuel-injection scooter

The Mio125GT is also equipped with injection now ;)

I have 33,000km on my Mio125GTX now and she is still going strong (as would most others if looked after)

THe GT,GTX,RR etc are all the same bikes but with different colours and alloy wheels.

You will notice a difference between the 110 and 125 models and the extra money is well worth spending.

As much as i love my Mio125GTX i would have bought the Click125i if it was available 18 months ago, as it's a little quicker and slightly more accommodating :)

i say go for the Honda Zoomer X

Yepp, I second that....if you or the person who will ride it, is not much older than 16 years and not much bigger than 160 cm.

The Mio 125 is a good and inexpensive (2nd hand) bike.

Engine is much more powerful than the Click 115i/Fino/Scoopy ones.

Even it has a carb.

I also like the Wave Full-Automatic, not the one with manual gear shifting.

The Jelato has also a good engine. (But not everybody likes the design)

Yeh Jelato is probably a good bike for me to buy because a guy in my apartments is always selling them but I don't like the design. I'd rather buy a scoopy and have some resale value on it too. oh and I guess you guys gathered it but I'm going to buy 2nd hand.

I'm 177cm talk n about 72 ish kilo's

I think I'll buy either the mio or the click (maybe a scoopy), is there any year and model I should look for with these bikes? And does fuel consumption make much of a difference.

1.) I purchased a new Mio 125 Gt because I wanted the water cooled engine. Ver poor fuel economy 30 - 35 kpl It would not go over 88 kph so I took it to not 1 but 3 dealers who all said normal. Even though others I rode did 100 kph. So I stopped at the Yamaha main office for Thailand in BKK and told them about my problem They reply "OH" there was 2 minutes of silence and the man walked out. I returned to Chiang Mai and sold it next day. Never again yamaha. No customer service where honda always goes well out fo their way for me.

2. Fino does not have a 125 nor water cooled motor yet

3. Honda Click went up size to a 125 cc even with idle stop on the top models. Scoopy, much like fino is their best sellin unit in Thailand but is air coled Good for around town and up to any speed in BKK

4.) Where there are some fixed wreaks out there, I never have heard a Taxi or other turn the meter back. Be smart, have a good look, no problem

5.) I have purchased many on a tourist visa, but not sure about a DL

Good luck

Yes the MIO125i has only just been released.

It doesn't have any other new features over the older carbed model but cold starting will be alot easier for people that have no clue how to start a cold carbed bike after the auto choke has gone tits up :D

Second hand carbed models is all you'll find this year as the FI model is so new, expect to pay around 28,000Baht for a well looked after MIO125 GTX (Top model a year ago with alloy wheels)

Second hand Click 125i models are available on the market but i would expect them to be mid to high thirty something thousand Baht.

ok thanks very much the advice and information. I think its going to be a 2011 Mio GTX if I can find one for a decent price. There are two at my apartment tonight, I noticed one had larger wheels then the other which I guess the owner has added himself????

I was test riding the Mio GTX 125, the Honda Scoopy, the Yamaha Filano and a Nuovo 135, each of them for a few days, sometimes a week - I always came back to the Scoopy. It's the best all around package, it has the best gas mileage, it goes well even tough it only has a 110cc engine. It's a little fun thing.

A "huge difference in power" between a GTX 125 and a Scoopy. cheesy.gif Please. 15cc don't make a HP monster. The GTX was maybe a hair faster at acceleration - about what you would expect from 15cc, really. It was never enough of a difference that I could be sure.

I know I'll get some flak for this on this forum but the Yamaha scooters aren't as bulletproof as the Hondas. A Honda you can ride for 6 years without anything breaking. A Yamaha, not. (only talking about scooters).

Honda Click 125 looks pretty good too but I haven't tested it personally so I don't know.

PS: A used Mio? Would definitely recommend against that. For one, Yamahas break a bit easer; then, it's not a whole lot cheaper from new; and you never know what's happened to that bike. Chances are it's never been maintained. Used vehicles in Thailand are expensive and often in bad shape.

Depending on price bracket I'd get a Scoopy, a PCX, or a Vespa 150LX.

Edited by nikster

Be aware the best scooter overall is the PCX.

A well looked after Mio or Fino is fine if your on a tight budget.....but if it's not well looked after you probably going to have final drive problems.

My first scooter here was a Fino and it was a bit noisy, but it got worse as the kilometres rolled by. Yamaha diagnosed the problem and 6700 baht later it was all fixed. I bl00dy near fell over when they told me the price! It was only a hand full of bits and a belt.

if the mio GTX is the top model what is the MX? the bottom model?

I'm starting to think maybe I just go for the reliability of honda and get a scoopy...

All 125 Mio's are identical.

Only the the colours and sticker are different. But most of the GTX/MX seem to have alloy wheels.

Just pick your favourite colour and don't worry about "GTX", "MX" etc.

The Mio 125, even it is a carburettor bike, has the best and powerful engine (the new "Diasil"-Engine), in the 2nd hand market up to 125cc.

You can't compare this engine with the Click/Scoopy with 110cc, or the Fino with the old 115cc engine..

The Mio 125 also has a big "underseat-storage", which beats the above mentioned by far.

post-158247-0-99222900-1352461637_thumb.

Edited by Turkleton

32000+km on my Mio, it takes myself and my girlfriend to work most days and has been pinned all the way from Bangkok to Nakhon Nai yok and back as well as Chonburi too and nothing has broken on it other than a light bulb or two :)

Just buy whatever bike you like the look of most, they all perform almost equally and have just as good reliability as each other (Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki)

I haven't seen any final drive issues on any Yamaha scooter, but then again most scooters in my village are well looked after...

I haven't seen any final drive issues on any Yamaha scooter

One year ago, I bought a cheap Fino (9 months old) which had this problem.

I bought it, because it was fully loaded with accessories and Mag-wheels, which I wanted for my wifes bike.

The final drive has made noise, like an old train.

I dismantled the whole thing and found completely worn cogs.

I don't know, why it occured, but I decided to sell it "as it is"

BUT: this happens only with the old 115cc engines.

NOT with the 125cc, because it is a completely different engine/transmission.

• Like 1

ok thanks very much for the replies people!!

sorry one more question, spoked vs mag rims, I know mag are better and I did a little research is this because spoked need to be tightened and only mag can have tubeless tires?

Edited by knod