Need Advise Getting Ready To Build

So we have finally decided to build on some land we bought a few years ago.

We found a builder who seems to fit the bill. Started out by asking about a house we like the look of, then asking around it sounds like this guy has a pretty good reputation.

So the charge is 12000 b/sq meter and about 5000 for the patio and parking area, so I am happy with those prices. Of course that does not include any fixtures inthe kitchen or bathroom.

What I am surprised at is his cost to build the wall around the property. for 1 1/2 meter high wall it is 4000 B/meter. And this is just for your average brick wall but I am told it will be built correctly with post that are set into the ground. From reading through the posts on this forum I am seeing anything from 800 per to 2200 per sq meter.

What is the going rpice for a properly build brick wall in the Pattaya/ Sattahip area?

Also what would a modest cement board slat fence cost?

It will depend on the exact spec. of the wall.

For example if you getting double bricked, rendered on both sides, painted with quality paint on both sides (Supershield or similar) then 4000 would be ok.

But if it's single brick, rendered on 1 side, painted on 1 side with noname brand watered down paint, then you'd be getting royally ripped off.

1 1/2 meter high wall only keep dogs in or out, not people. No need for a solid brick or block wall this high. Keep block 0.5m high and bring the rest up with timber. No need for piles in sandy soil. Should cost you Bt1,800-2000/metre.

I am always baffled why many want a 1.5m or 2m high wall. It is not going to stop anyone anyway, eventhe ones with broken glass on the top. :).

Is it the false feeling of security or is it just copying what everybody else is doing.

I would not want to live in a home made prison.

There are a lot of natural ways to make a boundary, even high and very thorny ones.

And they keep out uninvited guests even better.

With such a wall, too, once someone gets over the fence, they pretty much have free reign to do as they wish since nobody can see them from outside the wall. It's a two-edged sword, I guess: Privacy for the owners, but also privacy for crooks.

A benefit for some such walls, though, could be noise deflection from a busy street.

Along with some of the benefits pointed out by other posters, I think the benefits of a wall are:

Anyone seen trying to get over it automatically looks suspicious to neighbours etc...

It's low maintenance (or should be) - no need to employ a gardener to keep it in shape.

Provided there isn't an exit point which can be opened without a key it makes life harder for burglars to leave with bulkier items such as tv's etc.

It's visually impenetrable.

Natural alternatives such as spiky bushes can become a popular home for wildlife.

I have a wall, and I like it. I don't feel like I'm living in a prison, I've never been broken into and I like the privacy it offers. Once it's built you also have carte blanche to get creative with it's internal-facing areas.

Each to his own of course, but burglary is not something a wall prevents. It actually makes it easier. Climbing over a wall takes a few seconds, this can be done without anybody noticing.

However forcing open a solid door or window can take much longer. With the privacy a wall offers a burglar can be relaxed and take his time unnoticed by anyone.

Preventing a burglary should be done by protecting the house, and making entry as difficult as possible.

My pet peeve are the normal door locks that are installed in bedroom doors. They open from the inside very easy giving a quick path to the rest of the house.

I change them and lock them from the living room/hall side. This way a burglar who made an entrance through a bedroom window can not open the door to the rest of the house confining him to that single room, it will piss him off to no end. :)

The more doors are protected like this in a house the better. Of course the outer doors and windows should have the best burglar proofing possible.

It will not cost that much (cheaper the\an a wall) and is very effective. A floodlight triggered by motion is also a good one.

The only exception i would make for a wall is if it is at least 50 meters or more from the house on all sides.

I am in a community I am not worried about security. I would really appreciate info on the cost of building a fence that looks like wood slats but made of concrete board.... Like a picket fence. My idea is about 1 meter concrete then picket fence on top of that