Motocy Accident At Dolphin Circle - 5:30Am Today

Tiger7Moth

I often go for a walk along the beach at this time of day - today, when I was at the Dolphin Circle some Thai people were moving quickly to a spot on Dolphin Circle - there, pretty much against the curb, was a motocy on the ground with 3 young (I would say about 20 years old) Thai guys attached to a motocy which was on it's side (none of the 3 were wearing helmets).. I say, "attached" because all 3 were still physically touching the motocy. The guy in the rear, his legs and feet were still touching the motocy and he was sprawled on the ground behind the motocy - at the time I was there, a couple of Thai people were carefully raising his head and upper body - he seemed quite shaken up and groggy but (although I have 0 medical qualifications - my guess would be he would be OK). The guy in the middle was still on the seat and appeared to have hit the curb - he was moving a bit, seemed to be slowly getting back his senses - but, who knows, he may have been the worst of the 3 since he seemed to have hit the curb. The guy in the front must have been slammed against the front of the motocy - a couple of Thai people were trying to get him out of the wedge he was in - he looked like he was damaged the most - his body was limp - he was falling side to side as the Thai people tried to move him.

The safety of using a motocy in Pattaya always confounds me. I have known falangs who are very experienced, don't drive when drinking, are not overly agressive and manage safely year after year. I also had a 34 year old friend killed in Pattaya in a motocy accident. And, I have seen numerous accidents including the most experienced drivers, motocy taxi guys, sprawled on their side.

99% of the time, I walk and take baht bus and occasionally motocy taxi. I have rented a motocy a few times and driven (on side roads, during low traffic hous, without incident. But, seeing incidents like I did this morning, continues to make me wonder if using a motocy in Pattaya is simply too risky.

Again, having 0 medical knowledge, I think the 3 guys I saw today will recover - I hope they do.

Not all riders of motorbikes here have licences nor have been taught the skills to avoid simple hazards like wet roads, roads slick with oil from fumes, other vehicle actions etc. and they often ride at speeds that are beyond their ability to control in all situations. Having excess weight from more than one passenger compounds those things... hope they are all OK.

Some of the most reckless drivers involve 3 young Thais on a bike, none wearing a helmet. Occasionally Social Darwinism must assert itself.

A few days ago I saw an accident at the Dolphin circle in which an ambulance hit a bike. That's a dangerous "intersection."

It is a dangerous intersection, but I find the one from Bun Kunchana turning onto Jomtien second road horrific. No one seems to know who to go first or second. With cars and buses coming flying along there, it is only a matter of time before there is a very serious accident. As an aside, driving up Theppasit yesterday there was a pick up truck stopped in the middle of the road with no apparent damage, other than his right back week and axle had completely snapped in two- have never seen that before, and i must say the driver looked fairly bemused by the whole affair!

5.30am it's pretty quiet on the roads, even here, prob just tipped it themselves. I never had an accident in a couple of years but I use BOTH mirrors all the time, always slow down to let others go past, and ride +1 light lady max .

5.30am it's pretty quiet on the roads, even here, prob just tipped it themselves. I never had an accident in a couple of years but I use BOTH mirrors all the time, always slow down to let others go past, and ride +1 light lady max .

Yeah, I put the other lady on a motorcy taxi. Works.

Not all riders of motorbikes here have licences nor have been taught the skills to avoid simple hazards like wet roads, roads slick with oil from fumes, other vehicle actions etc. and they often ride at speeds that are beyond their ability to control in all situations. Having excess weight from more than one passenger compounds those things... hope they are all OK.

Three young guys (about 20yr old the OP mentions) on one motocy involved in an accident at 5.30am, with no mention of any other vehicles involved, and there were no issues regarding inclement weather either if my memory serves. I would guess the simple hazard that should have been avoided was the bar / karaoke that they had just left. I could be wrong of course.

WhenI first arrived I bought a small motor cycle to run around town on. After 6 weeks I sold it and bought a truck. I had no wish to die just yet, or if I survived an accident, be systematically robbed by avaricious, grasping hospital staff.

Three young guys (about 20yr old the OP mentions) on one motocy involved in an accident at 5.30am, with no mention of any other vehicles involved, and there were no issues regarding inclement weather either if my memory serves. I would guess the simple hazard that should have been avoided was the bar / karaoke that they had just left. I could be wrong of course.

Indeed, There are quite a few things I did not mention and alcohol was one of them. We can add amphetamines, lack of sleep and lots of things to the list.

Edited by petercool

Has the Dolphin Roundabout been renamed the Dolphin Circle, or is this another location ?

I am familiar with the odd term "Roundabout" - in fact, the place we are discussing is circular. Just curious, what is your term for a square? smile.png

From what I remember, the inner area that no one drives on is circular. The part of the road outside the circular area you are talking about is not circular. That is why it is called a roundabout and not a circular.

A square is a square, but I have never driven on a square either.

• Like 1

Ace, Im sorry I have to disagree with you about Thai's not using mirrors. They use them all the time, for checking their hair, picking pimples or just generally checking that they are looking tip top. How in the h--- can someone drive a bike, and worry about how their hair looks. But just as bad, is parking with the bike on the road, and doing the same thing!

Has the Dolphin Roundabout been renamed the Dolphin Circle, or is this another location ?

I am familiar with the odd term "Roundabout" - in fact, the place we are discussing is circular. Just curious, what is your term for a square? smile.png

Being an American, I was raised calling roundabouts "rotary", at least in the little state of Rhode Island. Roundabout seemed very common in the south. Circle a bit more in the west like California

Being an American, I was raised calling roundabouts "rotary", at least in the little state of Rhode Island. Roundabout seemed very common in the south. Circle a bit more in the west like California

Well I am glad we have that cleared up then !

The weather was fine. If you are familiar with the area, the accident occured 30 or 40 meters or so past the entrance to Dusit Thani going into Naklua. I arrived just a moment after the accident happened. Lots of space at this point of the "roundabout', not much traffic, guys were dressed party style (not on their way to construction jobs) - so, very likely self-induced on the way from a karaoke or whatever.

From what I remember, the inner area that no one drives on is circular. The part of the road outside the circular area you are talking about is not circular. That is why it is called a roundabout and not a circular.

A square is a square, but I have never driven on a square either.

I don't have any problem with the term "roundabout' and have learned to use it. And, I am not trying to be argumentative - just find these language/cultural differences interesting. Referencing a post from another US person later in this thread, apparently different terms are used in different parts of the US. In NY/NJ area which I am from, they were called 'circles' - but, they are inherently very dangerous and thus were eliminated a number of years ago.

While 'roundabouts' always have tangents, leading to the danger, the outer area is, in my experience, also circular. Anyway, what the puck does 'roundabout' mean and in particular the first part of the word - round? Cheers, ONYA, and so on.

Edited by Rimmer
Quote fixed