Hot In Chiang Mai

watgate

Go high, young man, go high. It's much cooler about 3000 feet up Doi Sutthep. I'm planning on a ride up Doi Inthanon. You have to bring warm clothing for that trip. it's also much cooler in the forest. The concrete of the city just absorbs the heat and holds it. My room in a typical concrete hotel never cools down. I never close the balcony door and it still doesn't make a difference. If I'm in my room alone I just wear my undies, or nothing at all. I learned a long time ago to not use the air con. It costs too much and I don't like that kind of cool. You can also spend your time in a shopping mall like everyone else seems to do in Chiang Mai.

As Chiang Mai grows and more surface is paved then the heat will not dissipate as easily. I think its called "Heat Island" effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_heat_island

So everything else being equal then Chiang Mai is going to get hotter as time goes on.

Better get used to A/C or other creative cooling methods or move to the suburbs

Go high, young man, go high. It's much cooler about 3000 feet up Doi Sutthep. I'm planning on a ride up Doi Inthanon. You have to bring warm clothing for that trip. it's also much cooler in the forest. The concrete of the city just absorbs the heat and holds it. My room in a typical concrete hotel never cools down. I never close the balcony door and it still doesn't make a difference. If I'm in my room alone I just wear my undies, or nothing at all. I learned a long time ago to not use the air con. It costs too much and I don't like that kind of cool. You can also spend your time in a shopping mall like everyone else seems to do in Chiang Mai.

We leave the window open but also the door to get a breeze. Not that many people on this floor and we all know each other. Some times it is like a storm coming through other times it is quite. We are 17 stories up so thwere is generraly a wind/breeze. I call it Thai air con.

I agree that it is a very hot Nov! No matter what the charts say, I remember for the last 12 years feeling comfortable in long pants and socks for a change. Not once this year have I wanted to wear anything more than my summer clothes of shorts, t shirt and slippers. Even the nights are not cooling down as they usually do.

I just hope that this is not an indication of what the next summer has to offer us..........

Why can't someone construct an apartment complex situated 3000 feet up in the mountains? Just imagine: year-round coolness, cleaner air and quieter. Free shuttle to town, eco-friendly (LEED certification), etc. I'm sure you'd get a lot of people signing up. It would be like living in a whole new country. Am I just dreaming? (oh, and don't forget stable and fast Internet!)

Over many previous years at this time in Nov. we would of had several sit-around night fires and be warming up water for a bath.....this year I still have fan on into the evening.......I never thought I'd say this..."Winter, where are you!"

Warming up water for a baht? With wood?

Over many previous years at this time in Nov. we would of had several sit-around night fires and be warming up water for a bath.....this year I still have fan on into the evening.......I never thought I'd say this..."Winter, where are you!"

Why can't someone construct an apartment complex situated 3000 feet up in the mountains? Just imagine: year-round coolness, cleaner air and quieter. Free shuttle to town, eco-friendly (LEED certification), etc. I'm sure you'd get a lot of people signing up. It would be like living in a whole new country. Am I just dreaming? (oh, and don't forget stable and fast Internet!)

It is a no-go for obvious reasons.

All that high up land is (generally) national park or national forest property.

Other provinces (I won't name them) seem to have overlooked the laws, and allowed construction in places where it was obviously strictly forbidden.

Thankfully Chiang Mai has so far been largely immune to this.