Thai University

I'm from Australia but my mother is Thai. I have lived in Australia my whole life and am looking for a english speaking university. I can not read or write in thai, and my thai speaking is very limited. I have done the first 2 years or a psychology and criminology degree in australia, and was wondering if i could transfer my credits to a uni here?

And also what are the associated cost with universities here and if there are any good ones that teach in english?

OK here goes. I have to say I have no direct experience of Thai unis but the general consensus of opinion by expats is that they do not match the rigors of the top unis in the west. I would be very surprised if any teach in English.

Good luck

OK here goes. I have to say I have no direct experience of Thai unis but the general consensus of opinion by expats is that they do not match the rigors of the top unis in the west. I would be very surprised if any teach in English.

Good luck

What are you talking about? Thai universities have some of the best Badminton and Muay Thai teachers in the world.

What you are looking for are "International Programs" at Thai Universities. These are classes taught in English at Thai Universities.

I have known a number of people, both Thai and foreign (American, Korean, Chinese, British) who have earned degrees in these programs.

Universities that have International Programs include Chula, Ramkamhang, ABAC, Mahidol (my niece is currently going there) and others. Here is a quick quote for some website or another:

Thai international higher education universities and colleges offer a total of 685 accredited international programs at undergraduate and graduate levels: 251 Bachelors degree, 314 Masters degree, 105 Doctorate degree and 11 Graduate Diploma degree programs (as of June 2011).

Just google it & go from there.

Actually, I know 1 Thai university very well. I studied International Business Management (in English) at Payap University in Chiang Mai. It was so good that I am doing my MBA there now. I think my education was/is awesome.

I know many expats who are grateful they are not going into debt learning the same information in Thailand that is taught in the USA. However, if some people feel that by paying off education loans for the next 10 to 20 years is the way to go then who am I to argue with that logic. It's their wallet.

As far as most universities not meeting the rigors of the "top universities" in the west...most universities in the west don't meet the rigors of the "top universities" in the west.

With that said, even though you can get an excellent education in my opinion, you will might have to put a bit more effort into your studies. Salaries for international teachers are quite low compared to a salary they can get in the west. So the foreign talent that you find teaching the class at times can seem a bit lackluster. At the same time, I have had some incredible Thai teachers. Sometimes I think Thailand would be better off not hiring foreign instructors because they require such a high salary. Pay the same salary to a very qualified Thai instructor and you can probably recruit some awesome instructors.

Anyway, there are excellent programs all over Thailand. It is important for like the place you study so consider that when pick a school. You don't want to spend the next 2 years in some place you don't like. If you have more questions feel free to send me a message.

Random Thoughts....

Depending on what International program and subject...especially if the program is relatively new...it is a crap shoot.. yes, some Darn Fine Thai Professors at the head of their class.. then again, there are some Profs... that on a graduate level.. give an assignment such as read the chapter, give a power point on the chapter.. and never a question or the hint of a discussion or debate is taken up.

Classroom Life

Then... not often, you will have to put up with a double standard in the classroom.. At times frustrating...so be it. There seems to be the Kiss ARse syndrome expected of Some of the Thai Profs.. Engage your prof is an academic debate.. and it is a threat to their integrity...for some.. and other welcome the opportunity to Clash on points..

Thesis

Oh.. this one is absolutely a crap shoot.. even Thai students cringe at this one.. Some..SOME..SOME Thai Profs..and Western Profs.. truly get off on the power dynamics... Taken too far, and you have a Ted Stranlisky episode..

On the positive side, SOME.. SOME...Thai Thesis Advisors are truly helpful in getting you through the process...and it is righteous... They recall the ordeal and try to make it less than what they had to go through in the USA or UK..

When it is all said and done.. stay where you are and finish your degree at home.. ... Will your Thai degree be recognized or accepted at your home country when you return?

Cheers Mate..

I would strongly suggest you do not transfer your credits here. Keep on with your degree. Your University in Australia will have an exchange program with at least one university in thailand. You could do a semester or year under that and get credit towards you Australian degree. Even better the fees loan system you probably use in Australia will cover the fees for that year.

Will your Thai degree be recognized or accepted at your home country when you return?

According to a little university in the USA known as Harvard (http://www.harvard.edu/), when asked will they accept my Payap degree as meeting the basic education requirement needed to study at Harvard for an MBA, they said, as long as the university is accredited by the government body that regulates higher education in the country where the university is located, then they too will accept my Payap degree. However, you still have to meet all the other entry requirements such as the interview and essay about studying there if it is required. Cambridge and UCLA told me the same thing.

I think Rhys post is fairly spot on, I have worked in a thai university for 10 months now, in two different faculties and they are worlds apart. One is run very well, with 100% of Ph.D qualified lecturers, most who have studied abroad either in the UK or USA. (although some sadly have not learned all they could have) and the other had zero direction too many under qualified staff who are just teaching one class per semester. So it seems to be pretty hit or miss.

I think mah fah luang university teaches subjects in english, it also has a very nice campus (i do not teach there but know someone who does)

C18gmr,

Yes have been to your uni as well and Payap.. I think the best bet is MUIC.. Mahidol University International College.. the best and brighest have been accepted at Oxford.. and other fine institutions.

It appears, at times. when the Thai Ph.D. has made it, it is a signal to coast.. Some of course, do not, yet some just find this. .time to skate..

Cheers

Mate

• Like 1

C18gmr,

Yes have been to your uni as well and Payap.. I think the best bet is MUIC.. Mahidol University International College.. the best and brighest have been accepted at Oxford.. and other fine institutions.

It appears, at times. when the Thai Ph.D. has made it, it is a signal to coast.. Some of course, do not, yet some just find this. .time to skate..

Cheers

Mate

I agree. I think MUIC is an excellent choice to study in the Bangkok area.

C18gmr,

Cheers

Mate

Yes, that's one of the few universities I'm pay the high fees to send my son to.....time to save for the next 9 years...w00t.gif With the coming AEC, i can see a lot more students coming to Thailand to study, and that should drive up standards across the board...and possibly the fees!

Try to choose a university with a large proportion of PhD's from overseas....to me., that's what will make it truly 'international'.

Will your Thai degree be recognized or accepted at your home country when you return?

According to a little university in the USA known as Harvard (http://www.harvard.edu/), when asked will they accept my Payap degree as meeting the basic education requirement needed to study at Harvard for an MBA, they said, as long as the university is accredited by the government body that regulates higher education in the country where the university is located, then they too will accept my Payap degree. However, you still have to meet all the other entry requirements such as the interview and essay about studying there if it is required. Cambridge and UCLA told me the same thing.

As you've said yourself, that they accept it as valid does not, by any stretch of the imagination, mean they will accept you into their program.

The University of Phoenix is a good example. Completely accredited university in the US; not always taken very seriously by employers.

C18gmr,

Cheers

Mate

Yes, that's one of the few universities I'm pay the high fees to send my son to.....time to save for the next 9 years...w00t.gif With the coming AEC, i can see a lot more students coming to Thailand to study, and that should drive up standards across the board...and possibly the fees!

Try to choose a university with a large proportion of PhD's from overseas....to me., that's what will make it truly 'international'.

I have seen bad foreigners teaching and good Thai's teaching. In my opinion, pay a highly qualified Thai person the same salary you will pay a foreign teacher and you will be able to attract some incredible talent. White faces are no guarantee of quality.

As you've said yourself, that they accept it as valid does not, by any stretch of the imagination, mean they will accept you into their program.

The University of Phoenix is a good example. Completely accredited university in the US; not always taken very seriously by employers.

That's not because of the University of Phoenix having any doubtful reputation, but because they do a lot of distance teaching. Some employers don't accept degrees earned by distance learning. Different animal.

C18gmr,

Cheers

Mate

I have seen bad foreigners teaching and good Thai's teaching. In my opinion, pay a highly qualified Thai person the same salary you will pay a foreign teacher and you will be able to attract some incredible talent. White faces are no guarantee of quality.

The University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce (UTCC) sends many of their teachers abroad to study for a PhD, so that they teach at UTCC when they come back.

C18gmr,

Cheers

Mate

I totally agree there....but most of the talented Thais find greener pastures overseas or in the private/industrial sector. Quite a shame really, but that situation isn't limited to Thailand.

That's not because of the University of Phoenix having any doubtful reputation, but because they do a lot of distance teaching. Some employers don't accept degrees earned by distance learning. Different animal.

Not quite; UOP offers many actual classes in classrooms; you could do your whole degree there on their campus. A degree gotten online or in the classroom looks exactly the same, once received.

Point is, there are universities in the US that are not taken seriously; Thailand is looked at with even more doubt.

Well let's see, where are we? To study in Thailand or Not to study in Thailand.. depends on what you want..cultural exchange, yes.. Academic excellence, pass on that one..but of course, what ever you put in , you will attain..most of the time. Need a degree to work in the Thai system, a Thai unversity degree will be accepted with an eyebrow of hmmmm....

Talented Teachers.. come in all forms and sizes, and skin colors..too.... Talented Thai teachers, obviously head out of dodge.. thus extending the brain drain on the professional talent pool, i.e. nursing professionals, some physician specialities..

However, when it is all said and done it is the "paper chase" and that dictates the next moves..

Happy holidays, enjoy the turkey.. survive the xmas carols in the malls.. have you hear the little drummer boy yet?clap2.gif

Edited by Rhys

Maybe it's good most people think Thai universities are so bad. This keeps attendance low and prices down. One day people will realize how much money they could save while getting a quality education in Thailand and my advantage will end. I should be grateful it's not that day yet. I'm saving a fortune in Thailand. I will graduate with a bachelors and a masters degree in Thailand, have no educational debt and will have learned the same thing that is taught in the USA without the spin on it on how the USA is so great. What an awesome time to study in Thailand!!!wai2.gif

Maybe it's good most people think Thai universities are so bad. This keeps attendance low and prices down. One day people will realize how much money they could save while getting a quality education in Thailand and my advantage will end. I should be grateful it's not that day yet. I'm saving a fortune in Thailand. I will graduate with a bachelors and a masters degree in Thailand, have no educational debt and will have learned the same thing that is taught in the USA without the spin on it on how the USA is so great. What an awesome time to study in Thailand!!!wai2.gif

All well and good until you try and get a job wink.png

RAZZ

• Like 1

RAZZ

richard has a job......publicity for Payup.

• Like 2

RAZZ

For sure! Then it get's better. We get hired! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

and will have learned the same thing that is taught in the USA

I think that's questionable, richard.

I don't think it is questionable Pauly. Feel free to look at the syllabus for International Business Management (IBM) on our website and compare it with an American (IBM) program.

http://ic.payap.ac.th/undergraduate/ibm/syllabus.php

If you think something is missing please let me know.

By the way, we are accredited by the Ministry of Education in Thailand as well as the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the U.S. Department of Education. That last one is for tax and deferment status only and really has nothing to do with the quality of our programs. We thought some American parents would like to claim Payap on their income taxes when their kids study there. So we went through the process of getting that approval.

and will have learned the same thing that is taught in the USA

I think that's questionable, richard.

I don't think it is questionable Pauly. Feel free to look at the syllabus for International Business Management (IBM) on our website and compare it with an American (IBM) program.

http://ic.payap.ac.t...bm/syllabus.php

If you think something is missing please let me know.

By the way, we are accredited by the Ministry of Education in Thailand as well as the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and the U.S. Department of Education. That last one is for tax and deferment status only and really has nothing to do with the quality of our programs. We thought some American parents would like to claim Payap on their income taxes when their kids study there. So we went through the process of getting that approval.

It may not be the syllabus in question, but what about rigour and assessment methods. Not sure about business degrees, but science departments in your average western university is better equipped and more technologically advanced that those of your average Thai university. And a Thai lecturers spin on business (in the Thai context) is likely to be quite different from that of a US / UK lecturer, for example. I'm not denigrating Thai degrees in anyway, but I'd select one with an International perspective.