Max Of Moon Garden Fame

MESmith

I did not know him well either, but used to go to his bar and restaurant once upon a time and have seen him around town for many years. Did you hear how he died? I do not think that he was very old.

I understand it was colon cancer but I'm not 100% certain of that.

Fond memories of the Black Cat and Tony, his partner of those days.

Max had a short battle with colon cancer. One of the nicest guys around and outlasted many. Never heard him say a bad word about anyone. Fond memories of the Moon Garden when I arrived in CM then the Moon River bar/GH he had. Great days, great parties & get togethers he was always the perfect host all hours of the night --- many of the old hands knew him well ---- he had some of the fastest road bikes out & was a member of the local Thai bike club plus used to ride up and down to Pattaya & Bangkok a lot. He would have owned more bikes than any foreigner I know in Chiangmai. I never ever saw him drunk but he could drink and handle it all day such was the guy!!! better than anyone. Max was one of a kind!~!! & surely missed. A sad day----- RIP old buddy.

Was told a week or so ago that he was very sick.

Sorry to hear this news.

Have very fond memories of the days of The Moon Garden. Max and Meelai and some other critters.

Remember the 3 legged dog named "Lucky" & Lucky's mate the pig who thought he was a dog and when someone would come in the gate out came the hopping dog and the hopping pig barking as a dog.....

The barmaid who would chaaa chaaaaaa everyone and the caged bird would duplicate it perfectly....

Won't mention her name as this lady has gotten tougher and tougher over the years and would probably kick my azz. But just a hint for you , her name sounds a bit like an Aussie referring to a UK'er.

Max if indeed you have passed on, I know you are rounding up the troops on the other side in your special fashion.

Many great memories there.

RIP

Gonzo

The Moon Garden was the hottest place in town for a spell. Good quality Western food for low prices. Max had the best American style hash brown potatoes in Chiang Mai ever and he was English, so I was doubly impressed. Watch-smuggler John - who passed on a few years ago - was in there all the time and very good company.

Not wrong George/Phil ---- those were good days in CM for sure--the best. Max had loads of energy & doing those visa runs on a bike [ he got collared once by a Thai driver who never stopped ] & survived with scratches. But he kept at it till the end & rode many a time on runs that many of us would shy doing!!! after being hit. One of the last pics of our mate enclosed [ hope it loads]. He was broken when another mate of ours lost it on his Harley in CM -- Bo from Norway but now he is with him. TR

Its great to see the kind words about Max posted here. He was a close friend of mine for more years than I can count and his death was a real blow to me, and so many others here and in other countries. Those of you who knew him and live in Chiang Mai, please take the time to pay his girlfriend a visit. Listening to her tell of Max's last moments was heart wrenching, and she is quite distraught. I am sure she would appreciate the moral support.

RIP my friend!

• Like 2

I drank at the moon garden a couple of times back in the day and it had closed down the next year when I came back to CM, it had a nice atmosphere, I saw Max about town over the years and drank with him a couple of times probably over ten years ago now. Can't say I really knew him as a friend but found him a likeable, witty character, RIP.

• 1 month later...