Strawberry Season Already

Tywais

mesmith, repeating your info, sorry!

I recall the blueberries being cheaper than both the blackberries and raspberries.

As for chiang mai strawberries, i would guess most of them are massively sprayed with chemicals. There were a few places saying they had organic ones growing, and my mate found a farm where they used chemicals on nearly all of their strawberries, but had a patch which were chemical-free.

For some people this is an issue, because strawberries the world over are known for being one of the most sprayed produces grown, as mentioned on this thread already.

Perhaps this thread can also keep an eye out for the organic ones.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought some yesterday, the lady I always buy from (last year as I bought each kilo the price dropped 10 baht, went down to 80 baht kilo where they remained) these were 180 baht kilo, she said too early, soon cheap again. They were quite tasty I thought, and passionfruit are back, bought for the first time about a week ago 15 baht kilo - we've already gone through almost 6 kilo's. I hope they're good for you, because we have so many.

In a blender with some ice to make a shake and break some of the seeds, passionfruit are the perfect accompaniment to Sansong which is very sweet, while the fruit is tart. I've never seen any other berries on the markets, only in supermarkets. The frozen raspberries and blueberries are quite nice, of course they lose the texture after being frozen and tend to be a bit mushy, but they're OK for putting into yoghurt for breakfast or a shake.

I recall the blueberries being cheaper than both the blackberries and raspberries..

The average price of frozen blueberries is 135 Baht per 500 kg in Big C.

Raspberries and Blackcurrants when they had them were 175 Baht per 500 kg.

I've never seen Blackberries around.

Edited by uptheos

I recall the blueberries being cheaper than both the blackberries and raspberries..

Frozen blackberries in Makro, 99 bt for a kilo. But I'm tempted by the 500kg bags of the other fruit at Big C. Great prices smile.png

Edited by MESmith

Frozen blackberries in Makro, 99 bt for a kilo. But I'm tempted by the 500kg bags of the other fruit at Big C. Great prices smile.png

I love blackberries, cheers for the info.

I'm going to assume he meant g not kg or else we are talking about a half tonne of berries. biggrin.png

I'm going to assume he meant g not kg or else we are talking about a half tonne of berries. biggrin.png

I wondered why the bags required two people to carry them! laugh.png

Strawberries Shmawberries...

What about raspberries?

I bought some yesterday at Villa but they weren't half pricey but so mighty fine....

What about raspberries?

I bought some yesterday at Villa but they weren't half pricey but so mighty fine....

Can you please tell me where villa is ?

Would love to get some raspberries.

Villa is a Bangkok chain; the most expensive one. There's a couple on Sukhumvit Road. None in CM to my knowledge. Rimping is much better (and prices are better) than Villa.

Makro sells frozen strawberries that are quite good; from the USA I believe.

Edited by TheVicar

• 1 year later...

Bringing last years topic back up. I baught some fresh strawberries this morning up Doi suthep. They were fairly sour and didn't really seem totally ripe yet.

Anybody else tried any yet this season?

Thanks for the reminder, nearly forgot it is beginning of the shoulder season for them. Will be keeping my eye out and watching reports here.

Bringing last years topic back up. I baught some fresh strawberries this morning up Doi suthep. They were fairly sour and didn't really seem totally ripe yet.

Anybody else tried any yet this season?

As nice as a Thai Strawberry may look I have never eaten a Thai Strawberry that was any good.

• Like 1

Hello all, can anyone tell me how many Hydroponic Strawberry growers are there in CM and surrounds, i am looking to set up a small Hyroponic Farm when i move to Thailand in the near future, i have heard the strawberries are not very good in flavour, sounds strange to me that they can't get it right , maybe they use the wrong types of cultivars, i grow them here in Australia and they are outstanding in flavour, so i would be happy to hear from anyone with imformation, about this subject,

Cheers

Scoop

D.A.T . A Dutch Company grow mainly tomatoes here in Thailand by Hydroponics .They sell the Toms in places like Rimping and Tops .They sell them still on the truss ,and they have a real great flavour .They may also do Strawberrys ? .When buying Strawberrys here you always have to ask for the sweet type .Before i knew that i thought Strawberrys in Thailand were crap .Not so , just ask for the sweet ones .

What about raspberries?

I thought that Raspberries are deciduous and first require cool to cold weather during the dormant period.

Actually, the Royal Project grew some last year. I don't know if they are going to continue with them or not.

Could it be the case that here they simply keep re seeding the same insipid varieties, whereas in the west there are numerous different strains being propagated by the horticulturists to improve taste,size,colour etc.

Let's face it we don't have the climate but we know how to perfect strawbs

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

Are they for sale on the Samoeng road yet? I could go for a ride out there but its long way to go...

I was out there today .They were selling at the Mae Rim junction .I drove further on ,on the Samoeng road for 7 km and bought at a road side farm .It was B150 for a half kilo bag of small sweet fruit .I also bought several plants at B50 each .I did not see any big fruit ,maybe because it is early in the season .

• Like 1

Are they for sale on the Samoeng road yet? I could go for a ride out there but its long way to go...

I was out there today .They were selling at the Mae Rim junction .I drove further on ,on the Samoeng road for 7 km and bought at a road side farm .It was B150 for a half kilo bag of small sweet fruit .I also bought several plants at B50 each .I did not see any big fruit ,maybe because it is early in the season .

Thanks. If your out that way again, please give us a price update. I'll do the same. None at Warrewat market yet...

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the Mae Rim ,Samonen junction road today and strawberrys were down to B50 a half kg ,for sweet ones .The fruit was bigger also than my last visit .

Is there a choice between sweet and standard or are they all the sweeter type in your opinion?

To get really tasty strawberries you need cooler weather than even our mountains can provide. I've heard of people freezing them to get them to "sugar off". If you are worried about pesticides there are some home grown things that help (note I did not say totally removed). The commercial "fruit wash" is essentially baking soda in water. You can also try vinegar. I'd use the vinegar on waxy fruits to cut thru some of that wax.

Was at the Mae Rim ,Samonen junction road today and strawberrys were down to B50 a half kg ,for sweet ones .The fruit was bigger also than my last visit .

Is there a choice between sweet and standard or are they all the sweeter type in your opinion?

Yes ,there are sweet ones and standard .I always ask for sweet ( the sellers know this English word ),and they let me try one fruit before i buy .

Yes ,there are sweet ones and standard .I always ask for sweet ( the sellers know this English word ),and they let me try one fruit before i buy .

Went up there this morning. Got the same ones as you.