How's The Air In Hua Hin?

tyznd

I've been living in Chiang Mai for over 6 years now and the pollution has really gotten to me. My eyes are running and red as I am typing this and I can smell the smoke from outside.

From the little I have been able to gather from reading some of the posts, Hua Hin seems to be a good option versus some other areas in country to live. I plan to take a trip down there in the next couple of months but before hand, is there anyone living in Hua Hin that could help with a few questions.

1) Obviously the first question is how clean is the air? Even if they burn garbage day and night I

would think it has to be a lot better than up here in the mountains where it all gets trapped.

2) Is there a local office to get visa extensions? My wife is Thai and I have a type O marriage visa.

3) Are there a fair amount of unfurnished house rentals available in the area and what do they

typically charge per month?

Any info, good or bad about Hua Hin would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help

1. I moved to Hua Hin after two years in Chiang Mai. Sometimes there's a tiny bit of haze, but I suspect it's not pollution. I live right near the beach, and there are far more breezes. In other words, it's far, far better here.

2. There is a full service, full hours office of Immigration Police here.

3. Try searching this Hua Hin/Cha-Am forum for more details about housing and life in this area. Yes, there are unfurnished houses for rent, possibly starting below 8,000 and probably going above 70,000 baht per month.

4. Come on down, but don't tell all your friends the secret! We don't want this place getting overcrowded. :o

• 1 month later...

hua hin is a terrific little town , and the air is clean , hazy sometimes , but that is moisture rather than pollution. i also live on the beach and appreciate the breezes.

away from the town centre , the beaches are clean and empty , when the tide is out the wide beach is good for cycling , especially north of the town near and beyond the airport.

there are plenty of sights to see within an hour or so by car , and bkk is only two hours away by car and they are upgrading the road at the moment. if you enjoy golf , then

no shortage of good restaurants , both thai and western.

at weekends the town fills up with middle and upper class thais who come to stay in their condos , during the week its pretty quiet though.

car parking in and around the town centre is getting to be a problem , especially at weekends.

a new shopping mall with cinema and bowling alley , tescos and homepro etc. has just opened.

some good european food shops , bakeries , and a wine shop.

generally , the town is tidier and better kept than other thai towns of a similar size , there is a royal palace here and the king spends a lot of time in hua hin , this may account for the more orderly nature of the place and what appears to be the better enforcement and observance of planning laws.

there is a low key bar scene , replete with shabby and not so shabby expats and tourists , but it's not so in your face as in pattaya or bangkok , a lot of tourists seem to be scandinavian and middle aged , and as such , they seem better behaved than the younger crowds seen elsewhere in thailand.

for medical and dental needs , i would travel to bangkok , the san paulo hospital here looks a dump and ive not heard many good things about it.

if you need an ill fitting suit made , then you are in heaven , there must be half a million fukcing tailor shops in town.

there is no shortage of accommodation in and around the town , rental or for sale , but i have no idea of the charges.

we moved here from samui last year and its turning out to be a good move indeed.

Where are these good European restaurants?

Every one I have tried has proved disappointing at best or plain inedible at worst.

The old Buffalo Bill was a great steakhouse both for food and ambience but its forced relocation seems to have precipitated a terminal fall in standards.

Any recommendations?

You MUST be joking! Here's just a few that come to mind:

Billy's fisherman's warf? Pretty good fare I reckon and he's still got great steaks on offer as well.

Swedish: Sweden restaurant, Lasse & Gai make mouthwatering meatballs & all round great food.

Italian, so many to choose- I like Pasta Factory, Hannes & Nut's place (they should franchise tobkk;)

Danish: Smoreborg at the place opp police station, esp like the ala carte selections.

German: Again, many good ones- All in Hua Hin Bakery/Deli is top nosh, easy on the wallet too.

American: Great American Rib Co- also has some decent tex mex at decent prices as well

British: Many Brit 'run' places so a decent Brit breakky can be sorted (need a 'proper' Brit tho?)

Finnish: That's right- it's down and across from All In Hua Hin, it's a guesthouse/restaurant as well

Irish:Crawfords-aircon, kilkenney and good grub. Owner seems a nice guy as well (is actually Irish!)

Japanese: Place in front of the Sofitel, sushi heaven

Seafood: Pick em! Not a fan of Brassarie du petite portions and grande prices- great service tho.

If that doesn't suit, head to any of the starred hotels many restaurants.

And that just scratches the surface :o

agreed for the most part there b&s , and just to add to that list , euro food at most of the resort hotels is top notch , pricey by thai standards but good. the woraburi resort , the sailom , and the sofitel spring to mind.

dont agree with the brit run places though , they seem shabby and scuzzy with greasy spoon type food made without care and attention. but maybe that is the essence of british cuisine. :o

Great previous report above BTW TaxEx, enjoyed that. I'm a Canuck but I love a British style breakfast (brit roots I s'pose). I also like mushy peas, yorkshire pudding, sunday roasts etc. Having said that, I generally do prefer healthy fresh and SPICEY foodstuffs tho.

Someone ought to make a proper Brit pub n grub in Hua Hin? (actually, I hear someone may be doing just that;). Used to be a small one beside Bernie's in the bazzar I recall- great sunday roasts, but is it still going? I hear the London pub on poolsuk is ok (was great under Taxi Jack, haven't been in a long while tho). Meanwhile, Crawford's Irish certainly hits the spot;

B@S,

Thank you for your response. Not so sure about several of the recommendations but shall give the others a go next time I'm there. Where is Crawfords? Hotel bars can be so banal but the aircon is always attractive, so the prospect of combining an alternative with comfort is pleasing.