Conserve Fuel.. Avanza.. Jazz.. Yaris.. Vios.. Or Big 4wd 3.0td Truck?

chanchao

Okay, it took a while but I finally finished the tank.. Last time I filled up was before the price went up, before the price went up before that, and now its down again. :o

1200+ kilometers on one tank.. City driving. (well, city & suburban). 17 kilometers out of one litre diesel, which is a cheaper fuel than petrol of course. (5.9 liters per 100 km)

This is the OLD Isuzu 3.0 Turbo Diesel engine (early D-Max & later versions of the previous model), not the new common rail one. Also it's a 4 wheel drive, a bit heavier & higher so catches more wind. With this result, I wonder how much you'd get out of the new common rail engine, in a 2WD truck.. Bangkok to Chiang Mai and back again, without even trying that hard? (Does anyone know if Isuzu's current common rail engine beats the Toyota D4D in fuel efficiency?)

What is going ON with petrol engines that they manage to burn fuel like there's no tomorrow even when installed in feather-weight cars like the Jazz or Yaris?? The difference is such that you'd start to think it's a conspiracy. (Honda and Toyota offer their cars with diesel engines in other markets, of course)

(Got a laugh out of the last Top Gear episode where they compared fuel consumption figures of the Ford GT with the Hemel Heampstead fuel depot blaze, and found it a close finish. :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

I drive a Honda Jazz Vtec, did more than 60,000 km with the car and the average consumption is 8.6 liters or 11.6 km with one liter of fuel. Maximum consumption was some 13 and minimum about 7.

Coincidently I was at the Honda shop today as I 'm in the market for a new car and the sales girl told me that the Jazz needs only 6.6 liters. I told that this is bullsh1t, as I drive the car myself, and she insisted that she is right, because she knows from the brochure....oh well... :o

So please post from as many cars as possible, as the marketing material from the dealers is apparently a bit misleading....

tx!

Okay, it took a while but I finally finished the tank.. Last time I filled up was before the price went up, before the price went up before that, and now its down again. :o

1200+ kilometers on one tank.. City driving. (well, city & suburban). 17 kilometers out of one litre diesel, which is a cheaper fuel than petrol of course. (5.9 liters per 100 km)

Sir, you are economical! In view of rising oil prices, that's the way to go, man!

840km. City driving. 12km/l. 3.0 Vigo 4Wd.

Comparable to a 1.5 Soluna or Civic which is about 12km/l.

--

Diesel engines are more efficient than gasoline/petrol engines of the same power (a common margin is 40% more miles per gallon for an efficient turbodiesel.The higher compression ratio is helpful in raising efficiency, but diesel fuel contains approximately 30% more energy per unit volume than gasoline, and this is the crucial factor.

And modified to rape oil with low emission combustion it´s an econimical and ecological engine.Well, smells a little like old fries fat.

Acreage is plenty available, canola grows also in Thailand and it´s quite simple to refine it.The modification amortisises after a few thousand km´s

I just filled up my two wheel drive 2004 Nissan 3.0 liter NON turbo diesel. I got 14.65 kilometers per liter. That is at speeds of maybe 95 kilometers per hour. I think that is quite good because my 2002 Toyota four wheel drive four door NON turbo 3.0 liter gets 9.5 kilometers per liter. A good friend of mine has an older Isuzu four wheel drive and he drives regularly from Krabi to Bangkok. He has a heavy foot and gets about 9 kilometers per liter.

My Mazda3 burns around 10litres per 100km in city driving and on the open road this improves to approx 7 litres per 100km.......not too bad for a 2 litre auto. I'm not exactly light footed either.

Miss by Golf VR6 though...around town it was crap......about 18 litres per 100km, but on a long run it could be very economical best I had was 5.5 litres per 100km but averaged about 6.2 :o

Admittedly that was in europe though....the one time I did sit in traffic simlar to what we get on a daily basis here was when leaving the French F1GP in Magny Cours.......at one point it went off the scale at 99.9 litres per 100km........in the end it went down to 45...but that was scary..could actually watch the fuel gauge decreasing........and I kept the engine on because it was a very hot day and needed the aircon :D

:o

> I just filled up my two wheel drive 2004 Nissan 3.0 liter NON turbo

> diesel. I got 14.65 kilometers per liter. That is at speeds of maybe 95

> kilometers per hour.

Oh that's very good.. Getting 17 liters per kilometer required seriously anal driving. :D And a lot of driving was on the ring roads around Chiang Mai which are very light on traffic and have tunnels instead of traffic lights.

It pretty much involved using the breaks only as a very last resort, trying to keep it in fifth gear as much as possible while not going over 2000 rpm.. So that's mostly driving 40-70 in fifth. (40-50 in town, up to 70 on the Ring) It did include some in-town driving of course, but in Chiang Mai you're mostly not stuck at traffic lights or traffic jams for any significant amount of time.)

By comparison, with the same type of driving with the Ford / Mazda 2.5 TD (4WD, 4 door) the best I ever got was 12.5 liters per kilometer. In Bangkok it was closer to 9 liters per kilometer.

(So fuel may be a bit cheaper in Bangkok vs. upcountry, you also tend to burn more of it overthere. :D

Can you translate that into km per litre, like all Thai statistics. I know it's an easy coniversion, but with six numbers in your post my head refuses to take it in.

I would if I knew how too. maths and statistics is not my strong point. Besides I'm from europe not thailand so I'm not familiar with the km per litre method :o

Can you translate that into km per litre, like all Thai statistics. I know it's an easy coniversion, but with six numbers in your post my head refuses to take it in.

I would if I knew how too. maths and statistics is not my strong point. Besides I'm from europe not thailand so I'm not familiar with the km per litre method :D

...it's the reciprocal value times 100... :o

That's what I thought, too.

>>>>>

My Mazda3 burns around 10litres per 100km in city driving

that's 10 km per litre

and on the open road this improves to approx 7 litres per 100km

that's 14.3

Miss by Golf VR6 though...around town it was crap......about 18 litres per 100km

5.5 kml

, but on a long run it could be very economical best I had was 5.5 litres per 100km

but averaged about 6.2

My 4 door 4wd Isuzu is terrible on fuel I get about just under 9 km/l and thats mainly on fairly long runs out in the sticks, I have got a pretty heavy foot though. If I use the brother-in-laws 3L Vigo on the same run I get more like 12 km/l. I've also a nissan frontier (3L 2wd) that gets just over 11 km/l mainly on shortish runs.

Anyone with a Jazz here, I'm thinking of changing the Isuzu and buying an economical car as I do lots of Km's and although the Isuzu is great with 2 other pick-up's in the house I dont really need it, would you get over 14/l. I used to have a toyota salona which I found more economical than the pick-up's

RC

I find myself firmly in the false economy club. I mean that I would spend several hundred thousand baht to upgrade to a vehicle to get a couple of kilometers per liter better fuel economy. Since I drive about 20,000 kilometers a year that is not much of a payback. LOL! The savings between the Totota and the Nissan would be less than 17,000 baht a year.

Anyone with a Jazz here, I'm thinking of changing the Isuzu and buying an economical car as I do lots of Km's and although the Isuzu is great with 2 other pick-up's in the house I dont really need it, would you get over 14/l. I used to have a toyota salona which I found more economical than the pick-up's

RC

My Jazz Vtec (manual) is currently averaging about 12 km/l (8.3 l/100km). 90% of driving is short trips around Phuket Town, which is not too bad for traffic, but speeds are always quite low, around 30-40km/h.

I've heard the Vtec takes a while to run in properly and that results should continue to improve up to 10,000 km (its on around 3,000 now).

Shame the Thai built Jazz doesn't come with a fuel consumption calculator like the JDM ones. I think it would be quite interesting to be able to instantly see how your driving style and conditions affect fuel consumption.

I get about 8 km/liter in the city with my 23 year old Volvo 245, but on the highway at a steady 120 it shoots up to 12 km/liter.

The car is a disaster recipe concerning consumption :o as it weighs almost 2 ton (more then any pick-up sold here) and has an auto gear.

Luckily those Swedes were advanced for their time, so they included electronic injection and a 4 gear auto with a slip limiter at high speeds. Hence the pretty good highway numbers...