11 Feb Anti-Thaksin Demonstration Thread

Jai Dee

"...I think that they are just trying to develop a new political party and this 'movement' is just a good way to get people focused and organized...the leaders don't really think that Toxin will be booted but they are hoping that they can develop a voter base to get themselves elected as PM's.....in my opinion. Everyone wants a bigger piece of the pie."

No...no...no...

they simply want him out of office as soon as possible......

They abhor his every move.......

When anti-Thaksin supporters gather.....they have one common goal.....THAKSIN'S REMOVAL.....

Agreed! One billion Shin Shares percent :D:o

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon F**S**N and the authorities are testing the reactions to what they truly want before letting hel_l break loose.

Hence the flip flopping.

I again get a feeling in my gut that things are being orchestrated to bring violence into the senario

to give the gov. and police/ legitimacy and provide an excuse to get heavy handed.

It may show who,s side they truly support by whatever they may eventually do.

It,s the people or F**S**N in my humble opinion................

Good luck to the people, may you all stay safe.

marshbags :o:D:D

"...I think that they are just trying to develop a new political party and this 'movement' is just a good way to get people focused and organized...the leaders don't really think that Toxin will be booted but they are hoping that they can develop a voter base to get themselves elected as PM's.....in my opinion. Everyone wants a bigger piece of the pie."

No...no...no...

they simply want him out of office as soon as possible......

They abhor his every move.......

When anti-Thaksin supporters gather.....they have one common goal.....THAKSIN'S REMOVAL.....

But as a fall-back, if it is eventually impossible to remove him before the next election, it might still be good to have a serious alternative to TRT, when DL is no-longer eligible to stand for their 3rd-term. Whoops, forgot, he can change the law in his own favour a couple of days before the next elections, as so often before !

Last I read Toxin has said it was OK to use the Royal Plaza as long as the proper permission was granted by the municipality authority of Bangkok. Is is possible that the domonstrators failed to get this permission?....is it possible that they didn't even apply?

If they didn't even apply (this is a hypothetical question) for the permit and then insisted on still having the demo at Royal Plaza then this would tend to create a big problem with the gov't and this would be good stuff to publish in the Nation and wouldn't this also benefit the demonstrators in that it would give them alot of publicity and make the gov't look bad?

Last I read Toxin has said it was OK to use the Royal Plaza as long as the proper permission was granted by the municipality authority of Bangkok. Is is possible that the domonstrators failed to get this permission?....is it possible that they didn't even apply?

If they didn't even apply (this is a hypothetical question) for the permit and then insisted on still having the demo at Royal Plaza then this would tend to create a big problem with the gov't and this would be good stuff to publish in the Nation and wouldn't this also benefit the demonstrators in that it would give them alot of publicity and make the gov't look bad?

Yes. You have a point chownah. It's very possible that the anti-Thaksin group are deliberately provoking some kind of conflict today in order to embarrass the government i.e. provoke some kind of stand-off, possibly with a lot of pushing and shoving and whatever and in the process generate some badly needed exposure for themselves in the mainstream media.

Sometimes "bad publicity/news" can be better than no news whatsoever!

Of course, the interior ministry may simply have refused permission....on what grounds.....is anyone's guess! (The buck was being passed at the ministry yesterday. No one wanted to make the final decision)

I don't think the anti-Thaksin supporters today have anything to lose by insisting (presence in large numbers at Royal Plaza) on their right to gather peacefully there - apart from their individual liberties in a few cases - possibly - arrests or even mass arrests possible - again won't detract from the importance of the movement. Will only add to the momentum.

Yes. You have a point chownah. It's very possible that the anti-Thaksin group are deliberately provoking some kind of conflict today in order to embarrass the government i.e. provoke some kind of stand-off, possibly with a lot of pushing and shoving and whatever and in the process generate some badly needed exposure for themselves in the mainstream media.

Sometimes "bad publicity/news" can be better than no news whatsoever!

Unfortunately, that looks like the only way they'd ever get equal coverage on ITV (I Taksin Vision) or the Govt run so called independent TV stations :D

Just scanned the lead news stories on the aforementioned Govt channels and the lead story this morning was a repeat of yesterdays pro-govt fans streaming in to offer well wishes, all holding identical roses :o Not even a mention of the days biggest potential news "worthy" (?) item, the build up to the protest.

Then scanned ASTV on the net and the lead story was a live shot of Police preparing the barriers etc for today's rally, followed by a report on Taksin's supporters offering praise and roses yesterday. Looks a h3ll of alot more balanced comparitively.

I don't trust either 'combatant' but I can differentiate between balance and blatant censure....

"The rally will begin at noon when the demonstrators will gather on Makhawan Bridge and head to the Royal Plaza"

Edit/

Noted alot of middle class type Mom's n Pop's with their kids in tow at last weeks rally and admired the restraint shown by all sides (ie, no rent-a thug forestry worker pro-govt types appeared) ensuring a peacefull protest. One hopes for a repeat today :D

Edited by baht&sold

People start gathering for rally

Channel 7 reported at 11:10 am that people have started gathering at the Makkhawan Bridge for marching to the Royal Plaza .

The anti-Thaksin movement is scheduled to parade from the bridge to the Royal Plaza at noon.

The TV station reported that the Metropolitan Police would allow protesters to rally at the Royal Plaza on a condition that they would not obstruct traffic.

--The Nation

Just saw a news-clip, showing loads of parachutists loading-up, into a dozen or so RTAF planes, ready for a mass-jump, I think it might be at Suvanaphum ? If so - might they be able to see the cracks in the runway - as they descend. :D

The juxtaposition between a photogenic mass publicity-event like this, and the under-reported events underway elsewhere in the capital today, must surely be a coincidence ?

Or are the parachutists aiming to touch-down in Royal Plaza, to avoid being turned-back by the police on the roads into Bangkok, as was widely experienced last Saturday.

Whatever, our local village head-man is following his orders from the top, and broadcast (on the loudspeakers yeasterday morning) instructions to his villagers, NOT to attend any rallies today ! :o

People start gathering for rally

Channel 7 reported at 11:10 am that people have started gathering at the Makkhawan Bridge for marching to the Royal Plaza .

The anti-Thaksin movement is scheduled to parade from the bridge to the Royal Plaza at noon.

The TV station reported that the Metropolitan Police would allow protesters to rally at the Royal Plaza on a condition that they would not obstruct traffic.

--The Nation

11:10? Must've missed it after 10 mins of the LEAD story which was repeating yesterday's story regarding pro-govt well wishers etc :o

He also once said that he had to work at McDonald's while studying in the U.S. in order to survive but forgot to mention that he also could afford to ship a Mercedes to Thailand at the time :o

Hardly out of the ordinary. A lot of children of the local well to do work part time jobs while studying abroad (parents have a habit of giving just enough for tuition and room and board... which is hardly enough to live as studying machines, but since when do young people like to live like that?). Even more so in the past. His Mercedes as I recall was a used one, and back in the day there was no 214% import duty. Most of the older left hand drive cars you occasionally see on the road are from this generation.

:D

Just saw a news-clip, showing loads of parachutists loading-up, into a dozen or so RTAF planes, ready for a mass-jump, I think it might be at Suvanaphum ? If so - might they be able to see the cracks in the runway - as they descend. :D

Whatever, our local village head-man is following his orders from the top, and broadcast (on the loudspeakers yeasterday morning) instructions to his villagers, NOT to attend any rallies today ! :D

Parachutists broke a world record yesterday or the day before. A giant snowflake formation. Some Thai military were taking part as well as jumpers from all over the world.

As for the village headman, well, he should have been invited for the world record jump :o

Edited by penzman

yes many belive that some money is given direct from Taksins on money....

The grass-roots people in the villages etc... who voted for him often don't really understand much about politics.

I know plenty of people who think that Thaksin paid off the Thai IMF loan out of his own pocket. I think half of them also believe he's personally paying the rest of their hospital bill when they only pay 30 baht.

Thailand braced for anti-PM rally

BANGKOK: -- A mass rally is due to be held in the Thai capital, Bangkok, for a second straight week to demand the resignation of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Tens of thousands of people turned out last weekend in protest at a $1.9bn business deal involving Mr Thaksin's family. They accuse him of corruption.

Mr Thaksin has insisted he and his family have done nothing wrong.

But he says he will consult electoral officials about holding a referendum on calls to amend the constitution.

He thanked his supporters who rallied to his side following the biggest anti-government demonstration in 14 years last weekend.

And he urged them to stay away from Saturday's rally.

"I don't want to see any conflict in this society where one side comes to support and the other comes to dismiss. It will incur social rifts," Mr Thaksin said in his weekly radio address.

Constitutional 'flaws'

Saturday's protest is due to get under way at 1600 (0900 GMT) and carry on into the late evening.

Demonstrators insist they will gather at the Royal Plaza, near the parliament building and the royal palace, despite a police ban imposed earlier this week.

Correspondents say the turnout will be viewed with interest on all sides, to see if the anti-government campaign is gathering pace or losing momentum.

At least 15,000 people gathered in the Royal Plaza last Saturday, Thai officials said.

Chanting "Thaksin get out", many protesters wore armbands that read "Salvage the nation".

Many are concerned over a deal done by Mr Thaksin's family to sell their nearly 50% share in the Shin Corp telecoms conglomerate to Singapore's state-owned investment firm.

Regulators say Mr Thaksin's son probably did break the law by failing to disclose information about changes in his shareholdings, but the Securities and Exchange Commission has said it found no evidence of insider trading.

Some critics have been calling for a change to the 1997 reformist constitution, saying parts of it run contrary to democratic principles.

Mr Thaksin said he would consult electoral officials to hold a referendum at the same time as Senate elections on 19 April.

"If the people said they want the constitution to be amended, we will do so as the people hold sovereignty over the country," he said in his address.

Although Mr Thaksin has lost the support of many among the middle-classes, he still enjoys considerable support in rural Thailand. He has survived such crises before, the BBC's Kylie Morris in Bangkok says.

--BBC 2006-02-11

Ricardo wrote: "Whatever, our local village head-man is following his orders from the top, and broadcast (on the loudspeakers yeasterday morning) instructions to his villagers, NOT to attend any rallies today !"

The village headman is following orders from up above.....his subordinates....the villagers.... .are the masses who dare not question his word or challenge his authority.....a bit like TOXIN....

The Royal Plaza is going to be a tinderbox this afternoon, even if the Metropolitan Police have said the protesters can use it afterall.

Just goes to show how rattled the government is about all this Sondhi stuff, when it gets to the stage where demonstrators are already marching en route to the plaza, before they can actually make a proper and firm decision.....women....

Ricardo wrote: "Whatever, our local village head-man is following his orders from the top, and broadcast (on the loudspeakers yeasterday morning) instructions to his villagers, NOT to attend any rallies today !"

The village headman is following orders from up above.....his subordinates....the villagers.... .are the masses who dare not question his word or challenge his authority.....a bit like TOXIN....

The Royal Plaza is going to be a tinderbox this afternoon, even if the Metropolitan Police have said the protesters can use it afterall.

Just goes to show how rattled the government is about all this Sondhi stuff, when it gets to the stage where demonstrators are already marching en route to the plaza, before they can actually make a proper and firm decision.....women....

So.....you use the word "women" as a term of derision? Do you? Do you think that women are indecisive and weak? Do you think that they are inferior to men? Is this how you relate to them....as inferiors?

(From ajarn.com: worth repeating over here on Thaivisa.com)

"I would say that tensions seem to be rising. The more Dr.D is criticised, the more he lashes out, & the more angry some folks become, resulting in a spiral. He is obviously concerned about the recent goings on... his voice was certainly very tense during his Saturday broadcast. His recent attempted diversion of the next rally seemed rather silly. The media blackout hasn't worked - Khun S. is steps ahead - with cunning use of the internet. He's no dummy.

Dr.D's weak link seems to be his lack of ability to take criticism. This says a lot about his inner insecurities. He is starting to look more like a dictator with each day."

Well said.

Re: the above BBC report.

Kylie Morris - great - would love to know what her real feelings about Tacky are......sorry TOXIN......

(From ajarn.com: worth repeating over here on Thaivisa.com)

"I would say that tensions seem to be rising. The more Dr.D is criticised, the more he lashes out, & the more angry some folks become, resulting in a spiral. He is obviously concerned about the recent goings on... his voice was certainly very tense during his Saturday broadcast. His recent attempted diversion of the next rally seemed rather silly. The media blackout hasn't worked - Khun S. is steps ahead - with cunning use of the internet. He's no dummy.

Dr.D's weak link seems to be his lack of ability to take criticism. This says a lot about his inner insecurities. He is starting to look more like a dictator with each day."

Well said.

Re: the above BBC report.

Kylie Morris - great - would love to know what her real feelings about Tacky are......sorry TOXIN......

It seems there's also a power struggle concerning the rally being allowed at the plaza or not. One more hairline crack...

This whole thing with Thaksin is rather sad for the Thai people. After all the strife they have had politically over the last 30 or more years, it was perhaps refreshing to see this "White Knight aka Thaksin Shinawatra, ride onto the scene and start to change the face of Thailand.

The fact that he was already an extremely wealthy man makes it all the more difficult to understand what went wrong.

He is extremely power hungry,arrogant, greedy and believes his own lies and has failed to groom a successor that the Thai people can believe in. Every one of his cabinet ministers carries an aura of suspicion and shame. Corruption surrounds them all. They are pickled in it.

The T.R.T is an exclusive club where the Master is the Ultimate Power (He who must be obeyed).

His constant pathetic references to his crusade to help the poor is only because the poor people are uninformed and told what to do by the village headmen. They are grateful for crumbs from The Masters table. His photo ops where he is seen sitting on the floor eating somtam with the villagers is just that- A photo op. Nothing more, nothing less.

He is dead scared to debate Sondhi face to face like a man and prefers the cop out of saying Sondhi can come to Government House for tea and a chat.

Sondhi has the goods and with the emergence of widely acclaimed and credible academics and mainstream people, Thaksin is slowly but surely going to the wall.

Regardless of how many of his own lies he believes, it's not a matter of IF he is forced out but WHEN. The Thai people are slowly coming round to the truth that they have been cheated and HOW!

Since the B.B.C. is also carrying reportson this debacle, every time he opens his mouth he appears to be more of a clown.

Edited by ratcatcher

SMS Breaking News from Bangkok Post:

"Police threaten arrests for any attempt to hold protest at Royal Plaza today - PM Thaksin urges supporters to stay away from demonstrations."

The iron fist comes out from the velvet glove....Thaksin shows his true colours.

This is supposed to be a peaceful gathering of anti-Thaksin folks, who are planning by their presence to show their opposition to Thaksin's continued reign of corruption and abuse.

Strange how there have been, as far as I know, NO OTHER arrests of protesters at other protest rallies (about other matters) in the recent past.

RE: taxi-drivers, farmers, teachers.....etc.

Talk about hypocrisy!!!!!!

Breaking SMS news from The Nation:

"Police start leaving the compund where was crowded with protesters. They gather outside the barricades."

Simple question: Is there an audio channel or stream with the video from ASTV?

Thanks.

mms://broadcast.manager.co.th/11news1

or

http://broadcast.manager.co.th/11news1

or

Goto http://www.manager.co.th and click on ASTV

Small incident about an hour ago- a guy who looked like a homeless dazed person was handing out pro-govt flyers and shouting. A bit tense for a moment and then the speakers asked the crowd to let him hand out his flyers and sit down. He was eventually escorted (gently) from the rally... One wonders what he was smoking (or how much he was paid?) :D

Noted as Sondhi took the stage tonight, again, ITV news was showing repeats of yesterday's pro Govt well wishers visiting govt house and re-running the CEO's radio address, over and over... Perhaps the biggest public rally since '92 just isn't newsworthy? :o

ITV did show a small bit showing a sparse earlier crowd (it's called "shaping" a story folks;) and a police chief stating any lawbreakers will be addressed, a few parking tickets handed out etc. Anyone watching ITV upcountry would get the impression just a handfull of ne'r do wells showed up and that's about it. Channel 7's making a small effort at least.

Bottom line, great to see restraint from all sides once again tho :D