Thailand/cambodia Shared Visa's Effects On Border Runs

I'm wondering how this new partnership with Cambodia, to recognize each other's tourist visas (I think, as apposed to a new kind of visa) starting 11/21/2012, will effect crossing the border, stamps, the works.

Will I be able to still get stamped in and out like it is now?

Does that mean I can go into Cambodia for the weekend without an exit permit?

I can't seem to find anything useful about this online. Any thoughts? Or is everyone as clueless as I am?

edited to remove post to prohibited news source.

Edited by SeaVisionBurma
Removed BP link

Sorry about that, just read through the rules you posted. Am I correct in assuming that it wasn't ok because it was Bangkok Post, but if I found another article from another paper, like the Nation, that would be ok?

So the article I liked to just explained that Thailand and Cambodia are going to honor each others tourist visas. You can Google it. Not too much detail, except that it is indeed happening, and will effect the Poi Pet crossing.

Sorry about that, just read through the rules you posted. Am I correct in assuming that it wasn't ok because it was Bangkok Post, but if I found another article from another paper, like the Nation, that would be ok?.

Correct. No problems to quote/link to The Nation.

Just not to Bangkok Post

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_918D using Thaivisa Connect App

I'm surprised that this thread has attracted no real interest or relevant comment. It surely must be (potentially) one of the most important visa-related announcements made for several years.

I have a retirement extension and never make visa runs so it wont have any day-to-day affect on me, but I have fancied driving into Cambodia for ages and one of the main reasons I have put it off is because of the iniquitous fee for a Cambodian visa. This announcement could make a lot of difference as hopefully my Thai retirement extension would obviate the need to buy a short Cambodian visa, and leave me with only the (equally iniquitous) Thai re-entry fee to pay.

I'm surprised that this thread has attracted no real interest or relevant comment. It surely must be (potentially) one of the most important visa-related announcements made for several years.

I have a retirement extension and never make visa runs so it wont have any day-to-day affect on me, but I have fancied driving into Cambodia for ages and one of the main reasons I have put it off is because of the iniquitous fee for a Cambodian visa. This announcement could make a lot of difference as hopefully my Thai retirement extension would obviate the need to buy a short Cambodian visa, and leave me with only the (equally iniquitous) Thai re-entry fee to pay.

If you are on a retirement extension you do not have a current Thai visa, that is a current permission to enter the country.

What you have is an expired visa that Thai immigration has allowed you to stay a longer time on than you were initially allowed (an "extension of stay").

As you do not have a current Thai visa when on an extension you are unlikely to be allowed to enter Cambodia, as you don't have a visa that even allows you to enter Thailand.

To be allowed to enter Thailand while on an extension of stay you need a re-entry permit. This is a different thing from a visa and it's pretty unlikely , though I don't know for sure, that this will be accepted by Cambodia as a permission to enter that country.

• Like 1

Maybe people read that and other articles differently ? how I understood, was you got a Visa and could travel freely without having to pay for a Laos or Cambodia Visa to visit said places........

never worked out how that would affect someone say on a Double TR Visa, could they go to Cambodia without any need to get a Visa for Cambodia ?......... could they get a new 60 stamp coming back into Thailand ?......

Also read that Thailand was not going to enter this 1 visa program ?

We've got to wait only ten days to see if this will really happen, and if it does happen it will reportedly be only for travellers with a tourist visa and only between Thailand and Cambodia, no other country involved. (Gambling not being allowed in Thailand, I won't place any bet on it) Let's see who will the first ThaiVisa member with a Thai tourist visa to report that he has been either allowed or refused to enter Cambodia without a Cambodian visa.

We're in Thailand on the first entry of a double-entry tourist visa. We will be entering Cambodia on the 15th (by air), and returning sometime in December. If I can get any idea about how this affects us, I will report it.

Maybe people read that and other articles differently ? how I understood, was you got a Visa and could travel freely without having to pay for a Laos or Cambodia Visa to visit said places........

never worked out how that would affect someone say on a Double TR Visa, could they go to Cambodia without any need to get a Visa for Cambodia ?......... could they get a new 60 stamp coming back into Thailand ?......

Also read that Thailand was not going to enter this 1 visa program ?

Im not at all certain about this but I think I recall once hearing if you could land a multi TR thst the days are actually counted up. So if you leave with 31 days past, you get 29 on entry. In practice, I have never known anyone to have a multi TR.

As Lop states and as the other article reads, at least the multi country visa apears to be different and maybe even voa. Upshot, you could get one of these visas snd Thailand would have to give it to you - hey, piss off, Im going to xxxxxxx! Then, just stay on in Thailand. Downside, these visas may be limited to 1-2 months plus have requirements you shufgle between countries, show bookings or tickets or proof of onward travel.

Who knows!

Edited by bangkokburning

We are in a similar quandary about this. We live in Bangkok, have multi entry Thai visas and fly to Cambodia in a months time. We are only there for a week or two before heading to Vietnam (another visa to sort out!). We have read the same news articles and get the impression that we will not need to get a separate visa for Cambodia however, we cannot find any solid information. We are just going to wait and see what happens (if anything!) after the 21 November.

I guess no one is making a fuss about it as this is a proposal that has been floating about for years. It will be a case of I'll believe it when I can see it.

How it works - Gawd knows. It isn't as if they are going to get rids of border checkpoints - otherwise Thailand would be over run by hoards of Cambodians who could freelu come over to work illegally.

So until it happens, the just carry on. Otherwise, be prepared to start border running elsewhere.

"Im not at all certain about this but I think I recall once hearing if you could land a multi TR thst the days are actually counted up. So if you leave with 31 days past, you get 29 on entry. In practice, I have never known anyone to have a multi TR."

The days of counting days ended many years ago.

No such thing as a 'multi entry' tourist visa. That's probably why you haven't heard of anyone having one.

Tourist visas come with one, two or three entries.

Terry

A 'multple entry' visa allows an unlimited number of entries as long as the visa remains valid.

"Im not at all certain about this but I think I recall once hearing if you could land a multi TR thst the days are actually counted up. So if you leave with 31 days past, you get 29 on entry. In practice, I have never known anyone to have a multi TR."

The days of counting days ended many years ago.

No such thing as a 'multi entry' tourist visa. That's probably why you haven't heard of anyone having one.

Tourist visas come with one, two or three entries.

Terry

A 'multple entry' visa allows an unlimited number of entries as long as the visa remains valid.

I think you have misconstrued or misunderstood my every point.

From article posted by Mario2008.

According to the plan, a tourist obtains a visa at either the embassy of Thailand or Cambodia (first port of call) and the visa is then valid for visits to both countries.

It reads to me that it will be like the EU's Schengen visa.

So if you already have a tourist visa for Thailand you will not get into Cambodia without getting a visa.

It also means that those on multiple entry non immigrant visa (or those on extensions of stay) will still have to pay for the Cambodian visa.

I'm wondering if this is a way around the 15 day visa by land rule. Can I go to the cambodian embassy in Bangkok and get a shared visa, then go to poipet and get stamped out of my current almost expired visa and get stamped in on my new shared cambodia/thailand 30 day visa?

I'm wondering if this is a way around the 15 day visa by land rule. Can I go to the cambodian embassy in Bangkok and get a shared visa, then go to poipet and get stamped out of my current almost expired visa and get stamped in on my new shared cambodia/thailand 30 day visa?

A lot of speculation, but it would seem to me that as Ubonjoe points out it will be like the Schengen visa, for which you have to apply outside the Schengen area. That means you have to apply outside of Cambodia or Thailand for the visa.

But again, that is a lot of speculation. The actual rules are a big unknown yet and any member who can post a link with more official information is more than welcome.