Cracked Me Up, The First Time She Came To My Country...

krisb

The first day my wife came to Australia, she walked out the backyard at my house and looked at the hills hoist clothes line

"whats this?" she says with a puzzled look on her face..

"its a clothes line" I replied..

Then she says, "oww, I thought it was an antenna for mobile phone, I was worried to get to close"

cheesy.gif

Cracked me up, but I understand where she is coming from, the Hills Hoist is an Aussie invention, which I havnt seen in Thailand before.

There was plenty of other things that stumped her about Australia also like the drive-through liquor shops and even drive through mc donalds and other fast food places, plus me telling her to keep an eye out for Kangaroos I might miss in the city...it was good fun watching someone learn about a new city/country

So what got your wife or husband or partner about your country the first time they went there? There must be some classic stories!

• Like 1

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The whole family was installed in and around the poolhouse, teerak gets bored (no sunbathing for her!) and she goes poking around back in the garden sheds. Squeals of delight when she finds a stash of fishing rods, grabs a few slices of bacon out of the fridge and off she goes, spends most of the next two weeks fishing up at the family pond and lived mostly on the tiny "trash fish" she caught. Found a place in the nearby city with lots of SE refugees to buy Thai herbs and spices, ingredients for som tam. Happy as a pig in shit, decided she could survive in farangland after all 8-)

And OT I know Aussies are proud of Mr's Hill's invention, but recently I saw a series of Mickey Mouse cartoons from the early 30's where something very similar was featured. Comments?

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK
  • Like 2

The whole family was installed in and around the poolhouse, teerak gets bored (no sunbathing for her!) and she goes poking around back in the garden sheds. Squeals of delight when she finds a stash of fishing rods, grabs a few slices of bacon out of the fridge and off she goes, spends most of the next two weeks fishing up at the family pond and lived mostly on the tiny "trash fish" she caught. Found a place in the nearby city with lots of SE refugees to buy Thai herbs and spices, ingredients for som tam. Happy as a pig in shit, decided she could survive in farangland after all 8-)

And OT I know Aussies are proud of Mr's Hill's invention, but recently I saw a series of Mickey Mouse cartoons from the early 30's where something very similar was featured. Comments?

Perhaps Mr Hills liked Disneys idea?biggrin.png

Yeah my wife loved that in Australia we have alot of Asian folk so getting all the ingredients she needs is easy enough. Even that rotten plaa baadek is here.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

the yells of rat rat rat in thai of course,coming from her as she put the washing on the hills/disney hoist,garden fork in hand to beat the vicious rodent,no stop said the poor mans steve irwin (me) it is a bandicoot,poor little bugger saved (bandicoot not wife),and a quickly arranged lesson on the wildlife she is likely to see in the garden.

Oh how about when they see Kangaroo for sale in the meat section at Coles!! "nooooooooo" she says.cheesy.gif Nearly in tears she was.
  • Like 1

she has tried to chase off the wallabies,who just ignore her,the blue tongues are now safe,the magpies now not chased from the vegie garden,the first tiger snake dispatched,egrets allowed to shuffle about in the garden,she has declared a truce with the wildlife.

oops sorry double post

Edited by macksview
  • Like 1

the yells of rat rat rat in thai of course,coming from her as she put the washing on the hills/disney hoist,garden fork in hand to beat the vicious rodent,no stop said the poor mans steve irwin (me) it is a bandicoot,poor little bugger saved (bandicoot not wife),and a quickly arranged lesson on the wildlife she is likely to see in the garden.

Oh how about when they see Kangaroo for sale in the meat section at Coles!! "nooooooooo" she says.cheesy.gif Nearly in tears she was.

yes she loves that,but says she is scared to eat it,what a village/suburb girl afraid to eat something,that always makes me smile.

yes she loves that,but says she is scared to eat it,what a village/suburb girl afraid to eat something,that always makes me smile.

Cook her beef steak 1 night then when shes finished ask her how was the Kangaroo?thumbsup.gif
  • Like 2

Cook her beef steak 1 night then when shes finished ask her how was the Kangaroo?thumbsup.gif

she would know something was up, i would have to convince her to use it to make larb

She also was delighted to find a shop selling DVDs containing the full series of all the Thai soaps and game shows, some only aired in Thailand three days before.

I had to buy a wireless headphone rig to keep my sanity as I didn't have the luxury of a separate "Thai TV" room there as I do here.

• Like 1

Perhaps Mr Hills liked Disneys idea?biggrin.png

Yeah my wife loved that in Australia we have alot of Asian folk so getting all the ingredients she needs is easy enough. Even that rotten plaa baadek is here.

Aussies for many years were proud of 'inventing' Hills hoist clothes lines and Victa lanwmowers. We kind of set the bar fairly low and now you are telling me that we copied one of these ideas from Disney?

The rotary clothes line was not invented by Hill's, but maybe still Australian

http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/melbourne_details.php?id=14864

The rotary clothes line was not invented by Hill's, but maybe still Australian

http://www.onlymelbo...ls.php?id=14864

Honestly who cares who invented it.

Anyhow its a mobile phone antenna, not a clothes line.

• Like 2

bought thai tv satellite for her,now we have good internet, the headphones are an essential,she could sit in another room and watch,but she would be alone if she did that,she is not afraid of australian ghosts only thai ones of course.

Did any follow her all the way there?

• Like 1

bought thai tv satellite for her,now we have good internet, the headphones are an essential,she could sit in another room and watch,but she would be alone if she did that,she is not afraid of australian ghosts only thai ones of course.

Did any follow her all the way there?

no,thankfully,she really gets scared with shows about the paranormal,sometimes it would have been better if she had worked in the p4p,after some of the customers there,nothing should scare her.

My GF refuses to even try Kangaroo. Too many cute images in her mind

• Like 1

MY GF filled up the small rubbish bin in the toilet full of used toilet paper before I noticed.

First time we pulled into a service station for petrol she was amazed that I had to pump the fuel myself.

yes,the toilet paper bin,the pumping fuel (kee kiat farangs,"what do they get paid for she asks).

Had one of these in 1950 in Canada.

post-73727-0-91524900-1352603366_thumb.j

Early 90's, walked into a bank branch in Canberra and out again in around five minutes having opened two new accounts. 'Is that it?' she asked. But that was nothing compared to the look on her face when I told her the government would be putting money directly in there each fortnight for no reason other than having kids. She soon got used to it though.

why poor people have so many children she asked,after travelling the "welfare express" bus, because the government gives them money to take care of them, is the reply,"in thailand" speech from her followed.

• Like 1

Had one of these in 1950 in Canada.

yes,but the canadians had a french side and an anglo side,instructions in two languages,french pegs on one side,the aussie one was a utilitarian one for all.

What about the first Christmas cracker "trust me" it wont blow your hand off and I promise you'll look cute in the paper hat.

Yeah lol, and the plastic ring inside it!.. not to mention the crappy joke as well lol