Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving and Christmas are two completely different things, and the OP was enquiring about a turkey lunch for Thanksgiving - not ordering a turkey for Christmas. I would imagine here, on Samui you'd have luck at the Islander, or anyother establishment run by an American / Canadian. On KPG I don't know. It would be the fourth Thursday in November - the 22nd, this Year.

In terms of plugging Big Joe's, and 'their' 'new shop' - that lovely old big hearted guy is deceased, and that shop has got nothing to do with his consent, or legendary spirit. Any traditions / traits of his are definitely not continued, echoed or honoured by anyother food related business on this island - his memory is still honoured by the people who really could, and still can call themselves his true friends.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are two completely different things, and the OP was enquiring about a turkey lunch for Thanksgiving - not ordering a turkey for Christmas. I would imagine here, on Samui you'd have luck at the Islander, or anyother establishment run by an American / Canadian. On KPG I don't know. It would be the fourth Thursday in November - the 22nd, this Year.

In terms of plugging Big Joe's, and 'their' 'new shop' - that lovely old big hearted guy is deceased, and that shop has got nothing to do with his consent, or legendary spirit. Any traditions / traits of his are definitely not continued, echoed or honoured by anyother food related business on this island - his memory is still honoured by the people who really could, and still can call themselves his true friends.

A bit of a 'down your throat' post! It obviously hit a nerve there.

As far as I understood it, most of the food is cooked in the same way with some of the same staff. I bought food from Big Joe and from the new shop - pretty much the same to me.

The new shop still has some respect for Big Joe - his photo (and memory) are on display there. Reading your post - there is obviously an agenda of which I am not aware.

It was not my intention to infer that Big Joe still ran the shop - most of us know that sadly, he is no longer with us.

I am also aware that Thanksgiving and Christmas are different, I was just suggesting to the OP that an alternative would be to order a pre-cooked turkey. (Which can be done at any time.)

• Like 2

A bit of a 'down your throat' post! It obviously hit a nerve there.

As far as I understood it, most of the food is cooked in the same way with some of the same staff. I bought food from Big Joe and from the new shop - pretty much the same to me.

The new shop still has some respect for Big Joe - his photo (and memory) are on display there. Reading your post - there is obviously an agenda of which I am not aware.

It was not my intention to infer that Big Joe still ran the shop - most of us know that sadly, he is no longer with us.

I am also aware that Thanksgiving and Christmas are different, I was just suggesting to the OP that an alternative would be to order a pre-cooked turkey. (Which can be done at any time.)

This is a bit off topic , but I honestly think the poster is upset about how that business was taken over in record speed & trading on the memory of a good person's name.

Call me a sceptic but that's what I believe, following the initial take over & advertising.

In all honesty I believe they should not be able to use Big Joe's name.

Now back to Thank's Giving, a large American population on the island , I'm sure you will get a reply soon enough about some venues.

Not sure if its too late for thanksgiving but noticed Bubbas in Chaweng had a sign about it and as i understand the chef is nigel, the barbq, guy who used to have a rstaurant in bangrak wher the market has taken over so the food is definately worth a try. Was going to go there this evening but if it is thanksgiving today as reported earlier in this thread think i will give it a miss till another day.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

• 11 months later...

It is now November, 2013, and I am a Yank that spent the first 50 years of my life eating New England style Thanksgiving dinners. I would love to be able to enjoy a Thanksgiving meal this year, here on Samui.

I believe that Catcandoo no longer exists (their website has not been updated since 2011) and the Shamrock Irish Pub in Lamai is only doing Christmas this year.

If anyone knows of a place that is doing Thanksgiving Dinner this year, here on Samui, I sure would appreciate hearing from you.

Happy Holidays! wai.gif

Edited by Traveling Sailor