Is There A Benefit In A Cm Crash Pad Condo?

mamborobert

I am thinking about buying (not renting) a condo unit more as a crash pad than anything else as eventually I can see myself moving to a house farther out from the city.

I just like the idea of when in town being able to chill out some where mine, comfortable, familiar be it from a shopping expedition, visiting friends in town, or staying a few nights like Loy Kratong, New Years, markets, social gathering, or after a few beers (and just generally avoid parking/check points/driving hassles. My family from Oz could also use when they visit, likewise friends.

I am not so much worried about the economics of it, or the buying verses renting argument, investment return, or good condo management issues. I am comfortable with all of this bit I am very interested in the opinion of others on some aspects (especially from those that may have such an arrangement as I have one friend in Chiang Dao who does).

This being with the traffic/expansion in CM now and in forseeable future at what point does the distance between "home" and "condo" make such an arrangement worthwhile for them, or of no benefit at all.

Did any poster intend such an arrangement and not have the utilisation that they thought they may have had simply because they just decided to go "home" after a few drinks/movie/shops/walking street/party/event in CM proper?

Did there come a point where the condo was more "home" than the home, through age/convenience and the home on the outskirts became a less attractive option (realising that this depends on home and condo but thinking purely in terms of what can be done in city and ease/laziness/whatever of just staying there).

I accept that this will depend on the individual (young kids, love of rural area, age etc) but still interested in what others in CM see as the tip over point distance wise more than anything for those that have such an arrangement or would consider same.

Edited by mamborobert

Interesting; I'd say that when you live anywhere inside (or near) the Outer Ring, around 10km from the moat, it's easy enough to get into town and back provided you have a car. I'd start to consider it when you're around 30 minutes out from the moat.

Personally I'm all set; I live a little under 10kms from the moat, and could potentially move either closer in (downtown, under 1km from Loi Kroh) or further out (some land in the hills, about 27 kms out.)

But really living within the outer ring it's not much of an issue to get anywhere, so we're renting out the in-town place, and the out-in-the-hills spot remains something for the future.

Personally I think it is up to you we all have different comfort levels.

As to distance well the city is growing and what might be an acceptable distance today may become a torture trip tomorrow because of increased traffic.

If money is no problem and you seriously anticipate a lot of visitors or plan on coming in to the city a lot go for it.

When I originally purchased my new apartment 5.5 Km from Thapae Gate, I thought I was out in the sticks, that was quite some years ago and now I wouldn't live anywhere else. There are some nice places well inside the Super and Canal roads so why not just sell and move in closer? Convenience and no hassles looking after a crash pad. The only hassle is the traffic everywhere now!

I think it's a great idea and one that I am considering myself. The One Plus units in and about the airport area, nimman and 2 developments I am thinking of buying.

It's a great way to host guests when they turn up and if not a great place close to town to have for sure to keep.

• Like 1

My uncle has one of those "crash pad" at Hillside 4 and one of the personals rented out the room without him being aware of it. (He found out later by accident but didn't do anything about it so that person's still work there!)

Edited by ARISTIDE

We did this, but in the U.S., when (for a time) I worked in a major city about 60 miles from home. It worked out well. The apartment had a nice pool and there was a lot to do in that city, so some weekends Hubby would join me for fun in the big city, rather than me returning to our home in our small town.

The only "problems" where in doing the housework for two places -- but maid service is much cheaper here. Also, it seemed like whenever I wanted to grab something out of my closet to wear, I'd realize I'd left it at the other place. Also, it would have been nice to order room service food, like you can in a hotel -- but with Meals on Wheels, it's not a problem here. Oh, and I don't think our two cats were too happy about driving between the places, but they got used to it once they realized the trips didn't end at the vet's office.

I'd say "go for it", provided you can find a building with good security where don't encounter problems Aristide's uncle did. Maybe you could make friends with someone who lives in the building full-time and could report such problems.

Edited by NancyL

I think it's a great idea and one that I am considering myself. The One Plus units in and about the airport area, nimman and 2 developments I am thinking of buying.

It's a great way to host guests when they turn up and if not a great place close to town to have for sure to keep.

How many crash pads in one city are you thinking of buying. Are they for quick and easy short term use?

Edited by hellodolly

It really depends on how often you expect to use it. The economics of it just don't work if you are not going to get enough use as its difficult to see any (short term) capitol appreciation and there are always ongoing costs. For example if you only stay in town a couple of nights per month then a hotel is easier, cheaper and less hassle. Plus you get clean sheets, towel and don't need to clean up.

I understand the warm fuzzy feeling of ownership, but that's really an illusion anyway.

However, if you get enough use out of it then it need not an expensive luxury, and you can always use it to host guests or do short term lets on airbnb for example.

Stick with quality units, the cheaper ones may seem attractive but in the long term you will be better spending more and getting a good one, if the difference in price between a cheap and decent one is an issue then clearly you shouldn't really be doing this.

Location, Location & Location are the three primary factors that determine value and future saleability, of course.

heya Hellodolly

I used to have 4 crash pads in Singapore, Vietnam, Bali & NZ...have sold them all except for the one in NZ which is our family home.

As for Chiang Mai, one would suffice in the NImman or Moat area...my eventual abode will be in Hang Dong area and one is quite sufficient

heya Hellodolly

I used to have 4 crash pads in Singapore, Vietnam, Bali & NZ...have sold them all except for the one in NZ which is our family home.

As for Chiang Mai, one would suffice in the NImman or Moat area...my eventual abode will be in Hang Dong area and one is quite sufficient

You had me worried there for a while. That is all the OP wanted he wasn't concerned about finances. When you mentioned several units I thought you were mistaking the OP as looking to make money off of it.

My previous exposure to the idea of "crash pads" was when we lived practically at the end of the runway of Detroit Metro Airport. Our neighbor had a large home with many bedrooms and rented some of them as "crash pads" for employees of what was then Northwest Airlines (now part of Delta), which had a major hub in Detroit. Apparently cabin crew is given an allowance for overnight stays and they can pocket the difference between a standard hotel stay and whatever they pay for crash pad rental.

Most of the nieghbor's rooms had three or four "tenants", but our neighbors did a great job of having clean sheets and towels available at all times and each tenant had his/her own cabinet for storage.

Seems like an interesting business model that could work if the OP represents a nice-sized market.

"...I just like the idea of when in town being able to chill out some where mine, comfortable, familiar be it from a shopping expedition, visiting friends in town, or staying a few nights like Loy Kratong, New Years, markets, social gathering, or after a few beers (and just generally avoid parking/check points/driving hassles. My family from Oz could also use when they visit, likewise friends..."

and having a place to take a bird to shack up with when the wife's not around.rolleyes.gif

Friends of mine, a married couple from Australia sold thier holiday home in Australia and purchased a condo in Chiangmai for a 1/4 of the price. The money they save on rates and utilities alone is enough to pay one return flight for each to chiangmai per year. They now come over 3 times per year and say it is far cheaper to maintain a condo in Thailand and fly in and out than to maintain a holiday home in Australia and drive there 3 or 4 times per year. I have a number of other friends who are looking at doing the same thing.

• Like 1

"...I just like the idea of when in town being able to chill out some where mine, comfortable, familiar be it from a shopping expedition, visiting friends in town, or staying a few nights like Loy Kratong, New Years, markets, social gathering, or after a few beers (and just generally avoid parking/check points/driving hassles. My family from Oz could also use when they visit, likewise friends..."

and having a place to take a bird to shack up with when the wife's not around.rolleyes.gif

Friends of mine, a married couple from Australia sold thier holiday home in Australia and purchased a condo in Chiangmai for a 1/4 of the price. The money they save on rates and utilities alone is enough to pay one return flight for each to chiangmai per year. They now come over 3 times per year and say it is far cheaper to maintain a condo in Thailand and fly in and out than to maintain a holiday home in Australia and drive there 3 or 4 times per year. I have a number of other friends who are looking at doing the same thing.

"and having a place to take a bird to shack up with when the wife's not around.rolleyes.gif"

These factors certainly contribute to keeping the continued codo building in Pattaya alive. The same can contribute to Chiang Mai's rapid growth (& the girls are not bar girls - that aspect of Chiang Mai really supports the male ego).

If you like the rural lifestyle but don't want to be cut off from the city, and cost isn't a driving factor, then it makes sense. If I lived in Mae Taeng, Chiang Dao, Sanpatong, or districts of similar distance from town, a crash pad would come in handy. A nice dinner in town once or twice a week, friends visiting, late or early flights through CNX-- I can think of several benefits. Probably safer to drive those routes in daylight. Of course a hotel room is cheaper, but in a pad you can keep clothes and other stuff. And if you find that you don't use it much, you can always rent it out or sell it.

• Like 2

RE: 'eventually I can see myself moving to a house farther out from the city.'

You might want to do this sooner rather than later.

A 'crash pad' is a good idea; I'd recommend renting in the city sector you like, before commiting to a purchase. Go for it....

I am now finalizing our build outside the city, and will adopt the crash pad idea in the near future.