Thai Students Win 2 Gold Medals At World Robotic Olympiad

webfact

Thai students win 2 gold medals at World Robotic Olympiad

By English News

ro.jpeg

MALAYSIA, Nov 12 - Thai students clinched two gold, one silver, and one bronze medals at the World Robotic Olympiad 2012, held in Kuala Lumpur.

Over 100 Thai students from 29 teams joined the competition.

Thai team Aladeen Scratch from Chiang Mai University earned the highest score in the regular college category and carried home a gold medal.

The other gold medal for Thailand was received from the secondary school level. Langkhao, a team from Chaiyaphum Pakdichumpol School from the northern province of Chaiyaphum.

Thai team got the same highest score as the South Korea’s team but the Thai team won for competing the task in shorter time.

For the football playing robot category under 18 year olds, Thai team, RBT-Sentinel from St.Gabriel's College won a silver medal and the RBT-Zadent team also from St. Gabriel’s College won a bronze medal.

Thailand ranked second after host Malaysia, which won two gold, two silver and eight bronze medals. Next year’s competition will be held in Russia. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-11-12

I wonder why some of you even live here if you hate the country and people so much...

Interesting question....Frustrations? Unhappy & Miserable? Not enough money in the pocket? Bored? Culture shock? Lack of tolerance?

Worthy of a separate post / thread...!?

Anyway, well done students.

• Like 2

Well done. Creating machines inacpabale of independant thought that respond only to command inputs. You are role models for the entire country.

They're programmed to complete dynamic tasks, compete in "robotic sports" like football and what not, and kind of left to run wild on their own without direct input. They'll be the future of robotic engineers and programmers, and it's one more step forward towards autonomous artificial intelligence.

Well done Chiang Mai University.

They've moved on from a puppet to robots.

wat ?

a great effort by the prize winners in a challenging competition. congratulations. thailand has a long history of success in school robotics so CMU's performance isn't a great surprise. if you are interested in finding more information on the competition - http://www.wro2012.org/v/challenges

Good to see!

Actually,.. whilst academic prowess amongst Thai students is not generally a strong point, there's lots of evidence that shows keen interest and brilliance in electronics, IT and computers.

If Thailand was smart it would promote this and support it financially and perhaps develop an ASEAN hub Silicon Valley style as there is a lot of potential for real advancement in this regard.

Edited by EarthAlien
  • Like 1

Man why the negativity? Its good to see Thai students succeed in an international competition I was half expecting a Thai centric contest in Thailand but this is against places like South Korea. I know living here for a couple years has given me the same attitude towards the national level of intelligence in this country but to me its not that Thai people are not very smart its just common sense in not in abundance. Too many times this part of the world suffers from big fish in a little pond mentality you especially see it in places like Rayong where I live. Give a person a car all of a sudden they are high soc and think the rules do not apply to them. The reason why Thailand is so dangerous for traffic accidents is lack of common sense related to a moving vehicle being a dangerous object. I can sit at a light and always know to look because someone is going to run a the light 11 times out of 10. But I digress good for the students that won now hopefully they can find a few 100k just like them!

wat ?

a great effort by the prize winners in a challenging competition. congratulations. thailand has a long history of success in school robotics so CMU's performance isn't a great surprise. if you are interested in finding more information on the competition - http://www.wro2012.org/v/challenges

Wat?

I was congratulating them..... I used to teach many students who are now studying there.

Yeah, as automated as your put-downs.

Well done to the students. Hopefully this will inspire others to do likewise.

Again not a put down as far as the students are concerned but I see some precious TV posters have had their irony by pass.

Edited by bigbamboo

Well done. Creating machines inacpabale of independant thought that respond only to command inputs. You are role models for the entire country.

They're programmed to complete dynamic tasks, compete in "robotic sports" like football and what not, and kind of left to run wild on their own without direct input. They'll be the future of robotic engineers and programmers, and it's one more step forward towards autonomous artificial intelligence.

I think what Barry said went straight over your head. Read again, this time do not think of the actual event, just relax and think ..humour !

Barry..I didn't actually spit my beer out as that would be a cardinal sin, but did have a funny choking/swallowing moment thing. Thank you :D

But what website would not give a list of winners. It was the same last year in Turkey.