Thai Habits

HeavyDrinker

I was flummoxed yesterday.

As I had my Sunday afternoon snifter down Lower Suk I saw some bloke with one of them sniffy nose thingies sniffing away at it like billy-o.

When he copped me looking at him he said "It's a Thai thing" and carried on sniffing away.

All the girls were having a right ding dong at the poor chap.

It did make me wonder just what the bloke was thinking as he didn't seem particularly "sinusy" to me...

It got me wondering as to what Thai habits I may have picked up on and I was horrified to realise that I do say "err" a lot especially when the wife is on at me .

Has anyone else picked up any Thai habits (good or bad) while here?

My favourite Thai habit is to leave the shoes out of one's home.

For many habits, Thai or not Thai, it's a matter of respect and good manners.

The sniffy thing.. Well, honestly, it seems a bit ridiculous to me..A girlie thing anyway,smile.png

The nasal sniffers do come in handy. They are excellent at killing the stench when one is handling garbage or dead bodies. I have one in my bag. They come in 2 parts: The nose insert and the screw off reservoir at the bottom. If you ever have an opportunity to watch the folks that remove the dead bodies that have been sitting in a room for a few days, you'll notice they smear a bit of the liquid under their nostrils before entering the room.

• Like 1

The nasal sniffers do come in handy. They are excellent at killing the stench when one is handling garbage or dead bodies. I have one in my bag. They come in 2 parts: The nose insert and the screw off reservoir at the bottom. If you ever have an opportunity to watch the folks that remove the dead bodies that have been sitting in a room for a few days, you'll notice they smear a bit of the liquid under their nostrils before entering the room.

I can't believe you let the bodies get high before you dispose of them.

Have you tried carrying them onto the BTS, as if assisting a friend or acquaintance who is the worse for strong drink, and then leaving them there as if in a state of peaceful repose?

SC

The err thing, when I hear westerners using it I can't help but cringe as I think it sounds fairly ridiculous, especially when their Thai is limited. This is one habit I have left behind and don't plan on using.

Me and the missus use English all the time pretty much and I still do it. It's horrible.

We have an Indian friend who's Thai wife has adopted the "Indian Head Wobble" from him and so when they come over for drinks we have to get that in stereo when they wish to display their indifference to a statement...

you'll notice they smear a bit of the liquid under their nostrils before entering the room.

Seems a common thing by Thais is to stick some Tigerbalm up there for various purposes.

I have heard so many theories on the sniffy things that the mind boggles however I do buy into the "Small Nose" theory, which is that some Thais (in particularly women) feel they can't breathe properly because of their nasal shape.

Rummy but there is a certain logic there...

The err thing, when I hear westerners using it I can't help but cringe as I think it sounds fairly ridiculous, especially when their Thai is limited. This is one habit I have left behind and don't plan on using.

Me and the missus use English all the time pretty much and I still do it. It's horrible.

We have an Indian friend who's Thai wife has adopted the "Indian Head Wobble" from him and so when they come over for drinks we have to get that in stereo when they wish to display their indifference to a statement...

Indifference? The wobble can mean more than indifference. It can signify Yes, No, I don't know, I agree with you, I disagree with you, etc.

Those nose sniffer things are menthol, I always carry one on me. They are nice given the horrible stuffy climate in Thailand, makes it a bit easier to breath.

One of the components in Tigerbalm also.

post-566-0-47567800-1352702190_thumb.jpg

Yeah the ingredients are similar. The one in my pocket lists

Menthol 42%

Camphor 16.4%

Eucalyptus Oil 8.5%

Borneol 6.1%

Indifference? The wobble can mean more than indifference. It can signify Yes, No, I don't know, I agree with you, I disagree with you, etc.

It means "Yes". What "Yes" means, we can only speculate.

I like the sniffers just as a bit of a pick-me-up, less of a downside than caffeine/sugar hit.

Many of these come from the fact that I've spent 95% of my time over the past five years with Thais that don't speak English.

I point with a lift of the nose and pursed lips, say "Aow!" when I'm surprised, smile when I'm angry all the normal body language stuff.

Also if I see one of the younger members of the household doing something they've been told off for before, I use the Thai-style throat signal, a quick abrupt rising-tone growl, a bit like just the first half of the western throat clearing up-and-down.

Very effective with soi dogs too, must often be followed by a swift kick. . .

Habits I've learned and adopted:

Driving the wrong way up a dual carriageway as its too far to go and U-turn.

Stopping the car wherever I want, space or not.

Never give way to anyone ever.

Not reacting to bad service. smile and walk away.

The one I cant seem to grasp is peeing whenever and wherever it suits me..........tried but just cant do that.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1