Fears Of Big Quake On Mae Chan Fault: Thailand

webfact

Fears of 'big one' on Mae Chan Fault

JANJIRA PONGRAI,

EKAPONG PRADITPONG

THE NATION

30194177-01_big.jpg

Sunday's magnitude-6.8 earthquake and aftershocks in Myanmar have renewed fears in Thailand over safety from seismic strikes.

BANGKOK: -- "We have to identify the quake risks of each type of building and prepare response measures," Praneet Roybang, director-general of the Mineral Resources Department, said yesterday.

The department has called a meeting today with five agencies, including the National Disaster Warning Centre and Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, and experts to discuss the issue.

The tremors in Myanmar, which have killed at least seven people and injured dozens, also rocked parts of Thailand.

Praneet said that when a building starts shaking, people should quickly duck under a table to avoid getting hit by falling items.

A source from the department said people in Bangkok felt the shockwaves from more than 1,000 kilometres away in Myanmar because of the city's geological foundation.

"Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani and Samut Prakan are also located on soft soil," the source said.

These provinces are in Seismic Zone 1, or areas that can be affected by seismic upheavals from a great distance away, while 10 other provinces, mostly in the North, are in the Zone 2 or provinces close to fault lines, the source said.

Assoc Professor Sampan Singharajvarapan, director of the Earthquake Hazard Research Centre at Chiang Mai University, noted that the Mae Chan Fault stretches from Chiang Mai's Mae Ae to eastern Laos.

"I'm worried about the Mae Chan Fault," he said.

It could cause a quake that could exceed magnitude 6.0.

Authorities need to constantly check the strength of structures along the Mae Chan fault line to ensure that they will not immediately collapse if a big one hits, he said.

"If the buildings can withstand a quake of up to magnitude 6.5, we will be able to minimise losses," he said.

Eight fault lines run through the North, while the seven others are the Mae Hong Son Fault, Mae Ping Fault, Mae Tha Fault, Phayao Fault, Thoen Fault, Pua Fault and Uttaradit Fault.

Sahawat Naenna, director-general of the Fine Arts Department, said he had already instructed officials in the North to examine whether any ancient site had been damaged.

Sakon Haipitakkul, director of Lamphun irrigation projects, said he received information about lights and hanging items swinging back and forth.

"But there's no report of casualties," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-13

I think I just made up my mind to move back down south.

And you think you will avoid nature furry. There are still Tsunami, tornados, hurricane, even forest fires.

Just enjoy the life and let the nature take its course

Edited by givenall
  • Like 2

He says "there is no report of casualties." Most of the reporting news agencies counted a dozen dead from this earthquake. Unless the Thai official was counting only Thais. If he was only commenting that there were no deaths for only Thais, that would be typical of a Thai to look at only themselves and not refer to the "other" dead, the Burmese.

There are fault lines and ACTIVE fault lines. One must ask "Is the Mae Chan Fault line active or NOT?". You must make that distinction before declaring whether you are worried about a particular fault line or not. Otherwise, Assoc Professor Sampan Singharajvarapan is just grandstanding.

I am so glad I'm not up north in a Hi rise or anything more than 4 floors, I honestly would have no confidence in Thai building construction or materials, after they completed the new Central center in pattaya there were rumours that it would fall down all on it's own w00t.gif

• Like 1

I think I just made up my mind to move back down south.

Better never leave your house, just in case you get hit by a car or struck by lightning. Stop being so frightened of life and start living. Before it's too late.

"People should quickly duck under a table"

Jeez is that the best advice they can give? Get out as fast as you can is the only advice they should be giving. No table will survive a collapsing building.

It is obvious that you are the one that doesn't know anything about eathquakes. Get out fast and you could be hit and killed by parts of the building falling on you. Being under a table is good advice.

"Sakon Haipitakkul, director of Lamphun irrigation projects, said he received information about lights and hanging items swinging back and forth."

So they've got the latest seismic data then.

"Sakon Haipitakkul, director of Lamphun irrigation projects, said he received information about lights and hanging items swinging back and forth".

I actually have the perfect solution for overcoming this one!!!

Its simple really.

Just wear tighter fitting underpants (bear in mind that due to the design parameters, boxers are not so effective as Y fronts) - problem resolved at minimal cost!!cheesy.gifcheesy.gif.

Next................!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE
  • Like 1

Jeez is that the best advice they can give? Get out as fast as you can is the only advice they should be giving. No table will survive a collapsing building.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif T i T cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Tourism Incompetence of Thailand..., and they said the Major dams up north were not affected and can withstand earthquakes??? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif I wouldn't be surprised if it were all a lie to save face...

The Japanese seem to have some experience in this, and they advocate getting under a desk or table.

I've seen the other version in Jakarta, where there is no training, and what you get are a number of classrooms of screaming pupils all trying to rush downstairs and outside. Instant pandemonium, a strong possibility of being trampled to death, only to discover it's a minor quake anyway. rolleyes.gif

They obviously saw this video and thought it was new....

I grew up in L.A. and know a bit about earthquakes.

1) Keep a pair of shoes by the bed. Windows shatter, things fall, glass abounds.

2) If you can get to a doorway, do so. The lintel above the door will help shield you. .

3) If there is no doorway (?!) get under a desk or table. You are much more likely to experience falling tiles, lamps, books, etc, than a whole building. If the table above you flattens you, you're going to be flattened anyway.

4) Don't run outside right away! Stuff falls off of buildings. Roof tiles, windows, concrete panels, brick walls and chimneys. People die from this.

5) Aftershocks can be just as big/bad as the original quake.

All very good sound advice. Currently living in Christchurch (Muntsville) and I would have no faith in a croncrete structure in Thailand surviving a magnitude 6 quake

I grew up in L.A. and know a bit about earthquakes.

1) Keep a pair of shoes by the bed. Windows shatter, things fall, glass abounds.

2) If you can get to a doorway, do so. The lintel above the door will help shield you. .

3) If there is no doorway (?!) get under a desk or table. You are much more likely to experience falling tiles, lamps, books, etc, than a whole building. If the table above you flattens you, you're going to be flattened anyway.

4) Don't run outside right away! Stuff falls off of buildings. Roof tiles, windows, concrete panels, brick walls and chimneys. People die from this.

5) Aftershocks can be just as big/bad as the original quake.

Best advice in my opinion. I wouldn't think of the shoes, Thanks.

Bad advice - In fact ducking under a table is the worst possible idea. It is way better to lie down beside one (or a lounge chair) so that if anything falls one can survive by being in a pocket with air, rather than flattened by the table. These guys obviously don't know anything about earthquakes. Doorways are also not a bad place to be.

I just recalled the US Authority advice to its citizens in the fifties and the cold war. "If you see the light or the mushroom from an atomic bomb, duck and take cover!" And showing films how people dived under tables! Sometimes not only Thailand is amazing.

Quick, give this guy a 100,000,000 Baht so he can go out and do his life saving, heroic work looking at buildings, having photos taken of him looking at buildings, knocking down a poor man's house and rebuilding it to the same standard, having a photo of him knocking down a poor man's house and rebuilding it to earthquake withstanding standard, then buying a new Benz.

Jump on the bandwagon, scare people, look like a hero, grab some cash.