Fears Of Big Quake On Mae Chan Fault: Thailand

webfact

Bad advice - In fact ducking under a table is the worst possible idea. It is way better to lie down beside one (or a lounge chair) so that if anything falls one can survive by being in a pocket with air, rather than flattened by the table. These guys obviously don't know anything about earthquakes. Doorways are also not a bad place to be.

Worst possible idea? And where did you come up with this genius advice?

A sturdy table or under strong piece of furniture is absolutely not the worst place to be. Doorways could be a very bad place to be if they are like most doorways inside buildings and not actually that sturdy. Everyone thinks doorways are good because it's been passed around way too much and the origin is some earthquake picture from years ago where (i think it was an adobe Native American house?) a house had collapsed but the outside doorways which were sturdily build remained intact.

My source? My brother the scientist.

Whatever you do, don't depend on asiawatchers expert earthquake advice. You'd think he's an expert in everything judging by his comments on every single news story on this site. Take a break sometime, man! :)

I'd rather take advice from a site like this than some "expert" dude on a forum: http://www.ready.gov/earthquakes

Think I may have found the source of this erroneous "expert" advice: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/triangle.asp

So they had a meeting after the 6.8 quake to discuss the next 6.8 quake? Don't these organizations meet without the stimulus of a big quake? Is this an opportunity to scare up some more funding for research? At least they are not blaming climate change smile.pngsmile.png (and for those who do not like skeptics, remember this...if there had been no skeptics, we would all still be looking for roots and branches to feed our families and keep our caves warm.

Edited by caughtintheact

"We have to identify the quake risks of each type of building and prepare response measures," Praneet Roybang, director-general of the Mineral Resources Department, said yesterday.

Lighten up guys it's all in hand! Might take a while but you can rest assured that a team of world renown geologist selling handing out 'protective tables' will be examining each individual property that is potentially at risk cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I grew up in L.A. and know a bit about earthquakes.

1) Keep a pair of shoes by the bed. Windows shatter, things fall, glass abounds.

2) If you can get to a doorway, do so. The lintel above the door will help shield you. .

3) If there is no doorway (?!) get under a desk or table. You are much more likely to experience falling tiles, lamps, books, etc, than a whole building. If the table above you flattens you, you're going to be flattened anyway.

4) Don't run outside right away! Stuff falls off of buildings. Roof tiles, windows, concrete panels, brick walls and chimneys. People die from this.

5) Aftershocks can be just as big/bad as the original quake.

I totally agree. I grew up in LA as well, then moved to Santa Cruz and went through the Loma Prieta quake. There was glass all over from items falling from cupboards and shelves. Most of the people who died were killed by falling objects and unreinforced masonry building collapsing and of course the freeway collapse up in San Francisco... But the thought of an earthquake anywhere near Bangkok has just a horrifying potential for a hugh disaster! Shoddy construction that is built on a swamp, will almost certainly intensify the damage due to liquefaction of the land in the area.

Edited by Jimi007

• 2 weeks later...

It always amazes me how people stick to their own reeccs and poopoo the others. A case in point

1) lie down flat beside something bulky. the falling items will form a triangle of safety.

2) Dont lie down beside something bulky. small items will fall onto you. Climb under a table.

3) Dont climb under a table if it collapses it will flatten you.

4) Door ways

5) Avoid doorways

How about climbing under a table and pulling something bulky in beside you. If really energetic get table and bulky thing into a doorway. There everybody happy.