American Express - Air-Miles Tax Deception

Green

I have had many Thai award tickets for my family as well - no real hitch and always able to get the flights I desire. Yes had to pay taxes but it has to date been worth it. QANTAS is the same tax wise for the redemption tickets. National flights are touch and go as to the value of using points as the tax can be only marginally different to the cost of a lower cost fare. What does amaze me is just how much tax you do pay the Australian airport - no doubt for that slick lean and efficient security service and for the cheap parking - ha ha. AMEX Thailand points don't seem to offer much these days - access to beauty potions and pills and some chance to get a discount from high end cost vendors of luxury goods or hotels or very fancy restaurants - none of which I have much interest for these days. I have always had good service from AMEX Thailand - certainly much better than AMEX Australia. I do get a little annoyed at the additional 3% charged for using the card - but also the same now for National Australia Bank's Mastercard - plus the crappy exchange rate (generally 2-4 Baht worse than advertised in newspapers) and then the 'foreign exchange fee' that appears on the statement - effectively adds 7-8% to the purchase price - Mastercard "leave home without it" or at least use it only when you have to. Oh and by the way if you are earning points from using MasterCard be aware that to ditch the 'reward' points will drop your cards interest charges by at least 6%. i found this out when Virgin released a credit card for about 9% interest. When I called NAB they immediately asked if I had the rewards points and said they would drop by 6% if I ditched them - which I did to good effect.