Thai Officials Rescue 600 Smuggled Cobras

webfact

Thailand Cobra Seizure: Officials Rescue 600 Smuggled Snakes

BANGKOK -- Thai authorities have seized a pickup truck full of deadly cobras at a checkpoint in the country's central region. They believe the snakes came from Malaysia and were destined for a third country for use in traditional medicine or human consumption.

Thai Customs chief Benja Louicharoen said Tuesday that officials found 600 cobras worth about 500,000 baht ($16,500) in mesh bags inside plastic baskets in the truck.

Officials arrested the Thai driver after the suspicious vehicle was stopped 210 kilometers (130 miles) south of Bangkok.

Benja said the man confessed that he was delivering the snakes to northeast Thailand where they were to be smuggled over the border into Laos.

Thailand is a major transit country for illegal wildlife trafficking in Asia.

Source: http://www.huffingto..._n_2122129.html

-- HUFFINGTON Post 2012-11-14

footer_n.gif

Whilst I think Cobras are rife and not endangered, what is the difference between a truck full of chickens, pigs or cobras no matter what their fate?

I'll agree partially. I usually see several cobras in my yard every year, but they are not raised to feed people as are the other animals you mention. They are part of the local ecosystem.

Snakes in a Pickup destined for foreign restaurants

By Staff Reporter

cobara.jpg

Seen by many as a method of reviving sex drive, The cobra can be found in many Asian restaurants, but Not in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Customs officers have seized a shipment of 600 live cobras being smuggled through Thailand from Malaysia and believed destined for restaurants in neighbouring countries.

The 600 snakes, with an estimated value of 500,000 baht, were seized as. It was believed that the shipment was being moved to another country via southern Thailand.

Working on a tip off, Customs officials set up a checkpoint and used X-ray machines to scan all suspicious vehicles.

Full story: http://www.pattaya10...gn-restaurants/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-11-14

footer_n.gif

Whilst I think Cobras are rife and not endangered, what is the difference between a truck full of chickens, pigs or cobras no matter what their fate?

I'll agree partially. I usually see several cobras in my yard every year, but they are not raised to feed people as are the other animals you mention. They are part of the local ecosystem.

Valid point yes, as our moo baan is beside a waterreed field and heaps of rats and cobras. They keep the rats down - that's a good thing.

830 Baht a pop! not a bad little earner.

You're right. I hope the people in my village don't hear about this. I love to eat snake (taste like chicken) and I pay 100 Baht each. If course they have to be above a certain size.

Snakes in a Pickup destined for foreign restaurants

By Staff Reporter

cobara.jpg

Seen by many as a method of reviving sex drive, The cobra can be found in many Asian restaurants, but Not in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Customs officers have seized a shipment of 600 live cobras being smuggled through Thailand from Malaysia and believed destined for restaurants in neighbouring countries.

The 600 snakes, with an estimated value of 500,000 baht, were seized as. It was believed that the shipment was being moved to another country via southern Thailand.

Working on a tip off, Customs officials set up a checkpoint and used X-ray machines to scan all suspicious vehicles.

Full story: http://www.pattaya10...gn-restaurants/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-11-14

footer_n.gif

I guess a hands on check would not have been a good idea.coffee1.gif

You're right. I hope the people in my village don't hear about this. I love to eat snake (taste like chicken) and I pay 100 Baht each. If course they have to be above a certain size.

You are saving on the transportation cost. Any snake or just Cobra.

I have heard in the states that a rattler has a chicken taste.

Hundreds of cobras seized in Thai customs bust

BANGKOK, Nov 14, 2012 (AFP) -

Thai customs officers have seized hundreds of cobras being smuggled through the country for use in traditional medicine as a supposed sexual aid, an official said Wednesday.

The 600 deadly wild snakes were discovered in crates on a truck when it was stopped at a checkpoint in the south of the country.

"They were in blue net bags, they could breathe through the net -- there were about five cobras in each bag," the customs officer told AFP, requesting anonymity.

Estimating the total number of snakes at around 600, the officer said a full count would take place on Wednesday night as it was too dangerous to do it without extra help.

The cobras, worth an estimated $16,300, were destined to be used in traditional medicine, the official said.

They are prized in some forms of Chinese medicine, which holds that their blood and meat boosts sexual potency.

The snakes had been smuggled in via the southern Thai border and were believed to be on their way through the kingdom and destined for neighbouring countries, the official added.

There are three cobra species native to Thailand.

Although none is endangered, the export of live snakes is banned under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna.

Two men have been arrested in connection with Monday night's haul in Prachuap Khiri Khan province and face up to 10 years in jail.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-11-14

The cobras have been sent to a national park in central Thailand.

You are saving on the transportation cost. Any snake or just Cobra.

I have heard in the states that a rattler has a chicken taste.

Mosy any snake taste the same. I am not choosey but you are correct about the rattlers in the US.

post-146250-0-37046800-1352875046_thumb.

This IS really bad news lads.

It means that the cobras won't be stuffed into

bottles then covered with rotgut "liquor" and

marketed as Lao-Lao (loose translation...whiskey

or wine) and sold for 50 Baht a bottle. Now the price

will most likely be 70 Baht a bottle...Heaven Forbid!

There are many restaurants in Thailand where you can eat that snake.

If they can eat magots,cocaraches,crikets,rats...and who knows what more...the cobras are a delicacy.

At Lumpini park they drink cobra blood with the bilis...after the jogging.

Thailand all the time passes the blame to his neighbours.

• Like 1

Some (King Cobra) is actually on the endangered species list!

Snake is way better than chicken. I ate King Cobra in the Philippines when I was in the military and it was excellent!