Phuket Officials Order Airport Taxi Touts: Stop Harassing Tourists

webfact

Since hundreds of potential first-time Phuket guests will be reading this - anyone have some advice on what transport to take when arriving in Phuket?

Assuming one doesn't want to rent a car that is.

You might ask your hotel if they can arrange a reliable airport pickup for you. I visited Phuket for the first time this July. Stayed at a hotel that hotel that included an airport pickup if you were staying at least three nights. Worked fine. The plane was late landing because of weather (thunderstorm) over the airport. Even so, the guy was there waiting for me.

I ran across the website of one hotel on Phuket that insist that they arrange your airport pickup if you reserve a room with them. They have had so many of their guests arrive at the airport, get a taxi and then be told by the taxi that their hotel is now closed, burnt down, and so on. And the taxi driver just happens to know of a really nice hotel for them! Even some that threatened the passengers.

The first time I travelled to Phuket with my wife only, everything arranged through a travel agent in Sydney, it included transfer to the ($250US/night) hotel ... The transfer was a minivan, full to overflowing, which stopped for 40 minutes at a souvenir shop on the way to Patong (Patong also recommended by the travel agent in Sydney)... pain in the @rse when you triple the journey length by a 40 minute wait, and then a tour of every hotel in Kata, Kamala, Patong as other guests were dropped off...

Second time, I confirmed it was a van dedicated for the hotel... travelling with my elderly mother, and my two kids who were only 3 and 5... get off the (direct international flight - 8 hours)... no van... call the hotel, "van broken" have to find own mini-bus... no-reimbursement, because the transfer was 'free' to start with... not to mention the hassle of trying to call the hotel, find someone with passable English, and then organise a van at 11pm after an 8 hour flight with 2 little kids...

Hotel transfers aren't all that... better to know what a fair price is, and organise it on the spot...

We

Since hundreds of potential first-time Phuket guests will be reading this - anyone have some advice on what transport to take when arriving in Phuket?

Assuming one doesn't want to rent a car that is.

When you get exit the first set of doors, keep walking straight until you're outside the airport. You'll see counters of van companies stating the set prices to various places. Patong, for example, costs 150 Baht.

Otherwise for the bus, once you're outside turn left, and walk straight till you reach a set of seats and an orange sign that says "Airport Bus". You can get the bus to Phuket Town for 90 Baht, for example.

For a cab, turn right when you exit, and walk all the way straight till you reach counter that says "Metered Taxi". A taxi to Phuket Town should cost you 400 Baht (though they'll probably cite you 500 first).

But only do so, in case your arrival is early enough, to catch another public bus, to your target location. Or you are planning to stay in town, anyway. Because the other options, going from Town to west coast destinations, after 6pm/before 7am are worse, than doing that direct from the airport! No meter taxi in town (in case, some would risk, to pick you up) has to use the meter.

Meter usage (if 'accepted by the driver' giggle.gif ) is only needed FROM the airport, but not TO the airport or other locations

The TukTuk's charging from Phuket town to Kata/Karon/Patong more money, than the airport scammer from PIA.

Edited by noob7

I hate the feeling I get when being approached, then followed at a 2 foot distance, with some bastard saying "taxi, taxi, taxi, taxi, you, taxi, you go downtown. Where you go? Where you go? Taxi, Taxi, Taxi.

I really hate that. I always have ground transport arranged when flying into Phuket.

But this kind of thing happens at many airports I find myself. It really is annoying as hell.

I remember that was the first impression I had on arriving in Bangkok airport too.

I think most tourists feel it is just part of the travel experience and atmosphere. Not a problem. A bit like swatting flies.

Has anybody suggested banning flies from Thailand?

Metered taxi outside airport but have to go through all the touts smile.png

Another option: just near the domestic arrival lounge is a company with prices displayed on a big board (before going outside first security gate: in restricted area) with prices similar to metered taxi. If we exit too fast you wont be able to go back in though and might miss it.

550 to 750 THB depending on destination.

I recommed: DO NOT take shared minibus: they will wait until minivan is full and that could take some time and they also usually make a stop at the "friend" travel agent shop between airport and destination to try to sell some tours... 45 minute trip to destination could end up lasting 3 hours in share minivan...

if booked with hotels, count around 1000 THB

Edited by CantSpell

I hate the feeling I get when being approached, then followed at a 2 foot distance, with some bastard saying "taxi, taxi, taxi, taxi, you, taxi, you go downtown. Where you go? Where you go? Taxi, Taxi, Taxi.

I really hate that. I always have ground transport arranged when flying into Phuket.

But this kind of thing happens at many airports I find myself. It really is annoying as hell.

YOU, YOU,YOU, MISTER.

When I flew into Phuket in June, I was harassed by taxi touts. I was tired and finally got a bit angry and told them in Thai to go way. A few that were't bothering me got a good laugh. I went on my way to the meter taxi stand where they tried to get 600 Baht from me, but I told them I know the price and it's 500 Baht with tip to my house in Rawai. But it does help to speak some Thai...

Last night at 11:30 PM as I made my way to the metered taxi stand, we were harassed and threatened by these touts. They wanted almost twice as much as the metered taxi turned out to be. It was a third world experience and ridiculous it is allowed to go on.

Ignore them and scream if they start their intimidation tactics. Nice going Phuket, a world class destination?

Paint some lines on the ground. If they are seen the wrong side of those lines. Bang 'em up for a month.

You are so right, I mean the lines on the ground made Thailand one of the safest places to drive in world, or is that Syria .. Oh never-mind

• Like 1

There are usually guards at all entrances to an airport. A simple approach would be to make sure that everyone who enters either have a valid ticket (travellers) or a valid ID issued by the airport (for authorized personel). If taxi stands are needed inside the airport, then the staff there should first apply for an ID, and if they are found to violate the rules once they get it, then simply revoke their ID - problem solved.

That would cost money and cut down the tea money get it ?

Was at the airport yesterday to pickup some friends.

All chaisr inside have been removed, I presume to make the area less attractive to touts, but this also means there is nowhere for legitimate collectors to sit/wait. There were only about 5-6 touts inside, everybody else was waiting outside.

What on earth are taxi staff and booths doing inside the terminal to begin with? Simple solution is to kick them out of the terminal and let them wait for the passengers in an orderly taxi queue outside the terminal. This works in Bangkok and it works in most airports around the world. Why are Phuket and for that matter Samui taxis given so much power?

RENT!...RENT!...RENT! = money

Walk out the exit....outside.... turn right and walk to the end......metered taxis await....surcharge applies, but still the cheapest way....the staff at the counter usually give you an idea on how much the trip should cost

Make sure they put the meter on, do not accept the fixed fare, it is rip off, also make sure the meter is zeroed.

There are also shared minibuses at the front of the airport, these are only B150 per person.

Well, that is possible in some places, but in completely lawless zones like Koh Samui, it is not. It does not matter who you complain to. The poiice absolutely refuse to do anything, since the taxi mafia owns the police, and is infinitely richer and more powerful than the toy (decorative) police in Samui. The police in Samui collect revenue, and that is ALL they do.

So why don't the authorities just make public a ban on touts in the airport precinct rolleyes.gif and arrest them if they continue.

Didn't they do that, I mean, 3 times, this year, already?

Without the disturbing arresting part, of course!