Old Car...needs New Paint Job?

SteeleJoe

I believe there is an issue if you change to a different color in regards to vehicle registration.

Doh! I hadn't thought of that but it makes obvious sense...I wonder how much of an issue (ie how much hassle to deal with)...something else to consider. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe

For the colour change if you have an invoice stating your vin number and change colour white to ???? you should have no issues with the LTD to update the book,

For a colour change I would think the price should be around the Bt.30,000 mark as there is a bit of work in doing the door jams.

This is all good info and appreciated.

It's a 1992 Toyota Corolla (or is it a Corona?) I'd post a pic of the actual car if I knew how but that's it: run of the mill '92 Toyota in excellent condition (given it's age).

I don't care about the engine bay.

I do hope to get some money for it in a couple years (obviously not a lot) but I don't want to keep white; I'd not bother with a paint job if it has to stay the same color.

If you want to get some money for it in couple of years,don' change the color...change will affect your resale in TH...I don't know why,but it is a big deal (not the reg part)...and the new buyer may not like the new color...BTW,white is 'in fashion' now wink.png

If you want to get some money for it in couple of years,don' change the color...change will affect your resale in TH...I don't know why,but it is a big deal (not the reg part)...

It may be because they think it has been in an accident.

If you want to get some money for it in couple of years,don' change the color...change will affect your resale in TH...I don't know why,but it is a big deal (not the reg part)...

Well, that makes sense...but wouldn't people be more likely to buy it if it looked nicer?

A conundrum.

Thais are also superstitious about car colors, esp. black color. If they are unable to get a car in a color they like, they will sometimes have a sticker put on the back that says "this car is really a red car." Maybe they think changing colors affects the "car spirits." biggrin.png

Thais are also superstitious about car colors, esp. black color. If they are unable to get a car in a color they like, they will sometimes have a sticker put on the back that says "this car is really a red car." Maybe they think changing colors affects the "car spirits." biggrin.png

From what I've heard, these are the result of a fortune teller advising them their cars needs to be a certain color, otherwise certain calamity awaits. Evidently a contradictory sticker does the job though ;)

From what I've heard, these are the result of a fortune teller advising them their cars needs to be a certain color, otherwise certain calamity awaits. Evidently a contradictory sticker does the job though wink.png

OMG, yes you are right. I remember that is why she had me slap that silly sticker on that beautiful black bimmer. Luckily, I had it removed immediately after her exit. biggrin.png "rot kan nee ben si daeng." I'll never forget those words as I angrily got in my car each morning....

Edited by keemapoot

From what I've heard, these are the result of a fortune teller advising them their cars needs to be a certain color, otherwise certain calamity awaits. Evidently a contradictory sticker does the job though wink.png

And they really will not want to buy a car that's been in any sort of major accident - it's bad luck. Actually, there are plenty of nice white on modern cars, even though you said you don't like white - the white of the swift and march look nice, for example. My workplace carpark is mostly full of silver cars and some white ones. I think resale will not so much be affected by those colours alone; though as other's said, it can indicate major work after an accident. Anyway, get the colour that pleases YOU, as you are the one that will be driving it.

Well, that makes sense...but wouldn't people be more likely to buy it if it looked nicer?

A conundrum.

Not in my opinion. As said people will think it's been resprayed because of an accident.

No offence but it's a 20 year old Toyota corrolla it will always be worth what a 20 year old toyota corrolla is worth, respray or not.

Just people may think twice about buying it. Ok there maybe people who think it looks nicer and buy it because of this, but most people that know anything will care more about the mechanical side. Like someone said spend the money on the mechanical side instead. Maybe even new tyres before selling instead, but a set of receipts for things renewed or the new tyres IMO will be much more appealing to someone buying a 20 year old car.

People will only buy a 20 year old car that's not collectable because it's cheap. Most people won't want to pay more for it because it's been resprayed.

A conundrum.

Not in my opinion. As said people will think it's been resprayed because of an accident.

No offence but it's a 20 year old Toyota corrolla it will always be worth what a 20 year old toyota corrolla is worth, respray or not.

Just people may think twice about buying it. Ok there maybe people who think it looks nicer and buy it because of this, but most people that know anything will care more about the mechanical side. Like someone said spend the money on the mechanical side instead. Maybe even new tyres before selling instead, but a set of receipts for things renewed or the new tyres IMO will be much more appealing to someone buying a 20 year old car.

People will only buy a 20 year old car that's not collectable because it's cheap. Most people won't want to pay more for it because it's been resprayed.

I was joking about the conundrum -- maybe I wasn't as clear as I thought...

I bought the car because 1) it was dirt cheap [cheaper than the going rate for the same car in worse condition and cheaper than 2 mechanics said it was worth] 2) I knew it's entire history [one careful owner - a conservative driver who literally loved the car and babied it for 20 years]. 3) The interior was nearly pristine, the engine mechanics seemingly sound, new A/C and new tires.

If someone told me 'In 2 years I'll give you 50,000 for it if you don't repaint, but nothing if you do', then I wouldn't repaint. Or even if someone convinced e that it would have big impact on the amount I would eventually get. But ultimately the decision about the paint job is not one that's going to be based on economics -- or even good sense, necessarily. It would be about making the car nicer for its driver. I don't have loads of money lying around but 20-30 grand? I might be willing to spend that for sheerly aesthetic and sentimental reasons.

Nonetheless, it's a very old car and a Toyota -- older than I'd normally buy and a model I wouldn't buy either. I certainly didn't buy it as an investment. Frankly, if I get 2 relatively trouble free years out of it (no guarantees that I will) and then gave it away for free, I'd still be ahead of the game

50,000 baht? That's the bottom here.

That maybe the bottom for a decent one -- which is very good to know, if that's the case -- but it's not the cheapest there is.

Got 2 older SEAT's painted for 20,000b and they were both decent, in spite of then not listenting to specific requests of not painting certain pieces got prices from rangin 15,000b per car up to 30,000b but nothing so high as 50,000b and think for most cars 30,000b is too high as there is not a ton of difference in the end result to account for such a difference in price IMO..

Have you tried having it rubbed out? It is amazing how well the color and shine often comes back on old (non clear-coated) paints.

Yeah, we had that done and it looked pretty good. Nonetheless it is a 20 year old paint job and has some minor scratches, one small dent (put there after purchase when my brother in law moved it 20 meters) and most annoyingly some dull but somewhat noticeable (on close inspection) stains from being parked under a certain type of tree every day for years.

And we don't like white cars. :)

But thanks for the suggestion!

That maybe the bottom for a decent one -- which is very good to know, if that's the case -- but it's not the cheapest there is.

Got 2 older SEAT's painted for 20,000b and they were both decent, in spite of then not listenting to specific requests of not painting certain pieces got prices from rangin 15,000b per car up to 30,000b but nothing so high as 50,000b and think for most cars 30,000b is too high as there is not a ton of difference in the end result to account for such a difference in price IMO..

Thanks. That's helpful.

The idea that "50,000 is the bottom here" was never taken seriously for a moment -- despite how flatly it was declared.

Thanks. That's helpful.

The idea that "50,000 is the bottom here" was never taken seriously for a moment -- despite how flatly it was declared.

By the way rereading my post those 2 SEAT's were both painted for 20,000b so an individual price of 10,000b a piece..Of course they were presented as a package deal which helped in the price but 15,000b is not at all unreasonable to expect. Look around the small sois and you can find some experienced body men that want the work and another idea is to ask a taxi driver, they may get a small referral fee but use them a lot for their own cars..

Edited by WarpSpeed

why not look into wrapping it, if the original paint is still decent? No need to go for flat black or carbon-fiber patterns, it can also be done in gloss finishes. Not sure how much it would cost or if you'd still need to have the car re-registered, though...

Have you tried having it rubbed out? It is amazing how well the color and shine often comes back on old (non clear-coated) paints.

Yeah, we had that done and it looked pretty good. Nonetheless it is a 20 year old paint job and has some minor scratches, one small dent (put there after purchase when my brother in law moved it 20 meters) and most annoyingly some dull but somewhat noticeable (on close inspection) stains from being parked under a certain type of tree every day for years.

And we don't like white cars. smile.png

But thanks for the suggestion!

If you do change the colour, remember that the engine bay, boot, inner door frames will still be white

unless you have the whole body repainted, but that will cost a lot more than respraying it in it's original colour.

The correct way to change the colour is to strip the body back to a shell paint it with several coats,inside & out,

then put it back together again, certainly not worth doing in your case.

Also white is the easiest colour to paint without showing imperfections, dark colours are the hardest.

Just want to say thanks to all who made a genuine effort give me some input.

Still want to do it but am sort of leaning in the direction of not doing it for the simple reason that it doesn't seem worth spending 20-30G on something so unnecessary.