More Bangla Raids To Come, Vows Chairat: Phuket

webfact

More Bangla raids to come, vows Chairat

Phuket Gazette

raid.jpeg

Touts on Patong's Soi Bangla using slow lorises, a protected species, to make money from tourists will be targeted in the raids, said Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat. Photo: S Reynolds

PHUKET: -- Complaints from tourists have prompted Patong Municipality to launch a campaign to rid Soi Bangla of touts who charge tourists for having their photos taken with slow lorises, a protected species.

Patong Deputy Mayor Chairat Sukban explained to the Phuket Gazette that the campaign uses the coordinated efforts of the Phuket Environmental Conservation Unit of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP), local police and Patong Municipality.

“We have been conducting raids since the beginning of October and so far we have arrested more than 10 people,” said Mr Chairat.

“We will continue making raids as we can see the number of people making money from these activities is decreasing,” he added.

Mr Chairat added that the campaign will also soon start targeting migrant beggars, flower vendors and “any other service that annoys tourists”.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...irat-19449.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-15

"“We have been conducting raids since the beginning of October and so far we have arrested more than 10 people,” said Mr Chairat."

10 different people, I think?

But how many times each one of them?

You can arrest 6-10 people every day, if you wanted.

And every day the same, methinks!

The people on the picture are known faces, pictures with them got published, before.

And as long there are no officers coming via Soi Gonzo into the back of the crocodile entertainment Soi, you can't tell anyone, that you wanna do something against this!

"“We have been conducting raids since the beginning of October and so far we have arrested more than 10 people,” said Mr Chairat."

10 different people, I think?

But how many times each one of them?

You can arrest 6-10 people every day, if you wanted.

And every day the same, methinks!

The people on the picture are known faces, pictures with them got published, before.

And as long there are no officers coming via Soi Gonzo into the back of the crocodile entertainment Soi, you can't tell anyone, that you wanna do something against this!

For sure they are all know and all pay 'protection money' to the cops. Just another day on Bangla. Move along folks, nothing to see here ... wink.png

Someone was telling me that these touts pay 1000 baht per day to not be harassed, and then on occassion lots are drawn amongst the touts on who gets pinched so authorities look like they are serious about this. Don't know if it's true, but I wouldn't doubt it.

From what I understand, the touts charge 100 baht per photo, so they need to get 10 photos per day to cover their "overhead".

You can see this every day and night. Police are walking/standing in Bangla Road, but not doing anything. So many touts on Bangla, harrasing people.... Does the police care??? Not at all, as long you pay the right amount of money!

Everything same same, not different at all! Is this news????

coffee1.gif

Tuk tuk scum and jet ski mafia annoy me, little balls of fur are the priority though, amazing shit.

Unlike you, the animals cannot protect themselves. There will always be bigger fish, and more serious crimes to address. That does not mean we ignore everything else. As anyone that has been down Bangla in the last couple months knows, enforcing the law on these people has not been a priority.

A couple days ago I saw them walking the beach at Kata exactly as I had predicted in an earlier thread. Hopefully this is good thing, as it means they are being forced out of Bangla to less patrolled and less profitable areas, and not a general growth in the business.

How is this 'Protected Species' protected? Is possession legal? If not, it seems that confiscation of the animal would end this practice rather quickly.

They confiscate them all the time and then sell them back to the same people - that's how the corruption works on this one.

For those that are not aware: apparently the problem is that they drug these "chinee" (slow lorises) to make them placid enough for tourists. The drugging of them is of course not in the animal's best interests - not sure if they are protected or not but its definitely animal cruelty! I cant image they are "slow" enough when not drugged.

How is this 'Protected Species' protected? Is possession legal? If not, it seems that confiscation of the animal would end this practice rather quickly.

They confiscate them all the time and then sell them back to the same people - that's how the corruption works on this one.

For those that are not aware: apparently the problem is that they drug these "chinee" (slow lorises) to make them placid enough for tourists. The drugging of them is of course not in the animal's best interests - not sure if they are protected or not but its definitely animal cruelty! I cant image they are "slow" enough when not drugged.

Slow Lorises are lovely creatures and just as the name describes - slow, you dont need to drug them.

They are very docile nocturnal animals with an extremely shy disposition, walking around Pattaya is probably like hell to a slow loris. They are extremely shy introverted creatures and they are indeed endangered species...and very cute i may add, anyone who takes advantage of this defenseless creature should be pounced on.

Also was in Bangla a couple of days ago as a mate is in town and there was loads of guys with loris, probably in the double figures region. Even had a word with the Enforcement guys (who confiscate sellers merchandise) and got a not bothered response.

Talking with my mate about how to educate the tourists about it and the best we could come up with would be a printed leaflet handed out at the airport arrivals (immigration counter maybe) written in several languages letting the newly arrived tourists know not to have their pics taken with them. No customers for the touts, then no need for Slow Loris. Easier said than done though.

Edited by TS79