Thai English Dictionary With Buddhist Terms

patient

Can anyone recommend a good dictionary with pretty comprehensive list of buddhist Thai and "Bali/Thai Pali" words explained in English ...

I need a hard copy version or at least ability to print electronic one as I am in a monastery.

Many thanks

If you mean one explaining Buddhist concepts check out the one by P.A Payutto. If you mean for studying Pali then there is one at yhe mahamakut bookatore in front of wat bowon. I would not say it is the greatest but it may help you somewhat. If you are translating there is a good coursebook in English though cannot compare with the Thai.version. Good luck!

• Like 1

The aim is to read Dhamma books in Thai and maybe iisan too - especially acharn chah. I am hoping I will enjoy learning Thai this way in addition to others forms of learning. I have been told many Buddhist terms r not in current dictionaries.

Thanks for the replies so far...

The aim is to read Dhamma books in Thai and maybe iisan too - especially acharn chah. I am hoping I will enjoy learning Thai this way in addition to others forms of learning. I have been told many Buddhist terms r not in current dictionaries.

Thanks for the replies so far...

Oh. For the most part tue Thai Dhamma books will use terminology, but many words one will hear from daily use if listening for.it. For your intentions the one from P.A Payutto should be sufficient. Some versions you will find will have thai beside the english as well. Have you looked into Beckers thai for beginners? that should get you off to a good start, and after the thai reference grammar. As for Isaan, I made more progress learning Lao before, though there is a book that teaches the isaan language. If you can get to Wat Asokaramnhere is a big library of Dhamma talk cds that could be a great help. Sometimes the language used in Thai Dhamma talks is very cryptic, but it is a great help to learning Thai as well. Good luck, if you need any help let me know.

Edited by hookedondhamma