Convert Rtf To Mobi

johna

This is not something I have yet done, but it is something I will be wanting to do soon, so I am interested in your solution.

This link looks promising, but I personally want a Linux solution

Edit

Reading on the Calibre Forums Abiword (http://www.abisource.com/wiki/PluginMatrix) gets a lot of support and it is cross platform

Edited by thaimite

This is not something I have yet done, but it is something I will be wanting to do soon, so I am interested in your solution.

This link looks promising, but I personally want a Linux solution

Edit

Reading on the Calibre Forums Abiword (http://www.abisource...ki/PluginMatrix) gets a lot of support and it is cross platform

I am hoping someone will have a Calibre solution, all other methods involve buying some software, I really need to convert to MOBI for a Kindle Paperwhite.

Having investigated further it seems the key is to get the source in to a good HTML file, and then Calibre or other programs can take over to make the desired eBook format. I am also downloading the open source cross platform Sigil which looks to be a good ePub authering tool.

As I stated I am currently doing a lot of work on my own Calibre library and will need a solution to this issue soon. However my aim is ePub rather than Mobi format

What do you mean when you say it won't do it? I've just used Calibre portable to convert an RTF file to both EPUB and MOBI.

Just tried again to convert RTF to EPUB, MOBI,HTMLZ, TXT, failed each time.

So I opened the doc with MS word and saved it in Plain Text, and then Calibre converted it to MOBI!!

I downloaded Calibre 0.9.6 which is the latest version, so I can't see a problem there, when you write Calibre portable do you mean you have Calibre on a plug in USB?

What do you mean when you say it won't do it? I've just used Calibre portable to convert an RTF file to both EPUB and MOBI.

Brilliant, I just installed calibre portable on a USB and it converted RTF to MOBI just fine.

Thanks

I think the OP needs to be provide more infomration as to the problem, and the content of the RTF files. Are they English or some other language, is there some special formatting.

As stated above from the various blogs the problem seems to be getting the RTF in to a good HTML format. Maybe the OP needs to have a 2 step process and review the HTML after it is produced.

I have now downloaded and played with Sigil. It is a nice program with lots of options including letting you edit the ePub file before saving

I think the OP needs to be provide more infomration as to the problem, and the content of the RTF files. Are they English or some other language, is there some special formatting.

As stated above from the various blogs the problem seems to be getting the RTF in to a good HTML format. Maybe the OP needs to have a 2 step process and review the HTML after it is produced.

I have now downloaded and played with Sigil. It is a nice program with lots of options including letting you edit the ePub file before saving

They are in English, and originally were text files which I converted to RTF (MS word) because thats the only decent way my Hanlin e reader could handle them.

I have saved 2 of these files in Plain Text and Calibre will then convert to EPUB or MOBI, its slow but so far working, I will check out Sigil when I have a little more time.

I'm getting a Kindle Paperwhite, I understand if I email docs through Amazon to the Kindle, Amazon automatically converts all files to MOBI before downloading to the Paperwhite???

anyone tried that??