Police Helmet Checkpoint

loong

A great idea, but unfortunately with most Thais once they get home that is where the helmuts will stay unless they can sell them on. Pity it wasn't at a school to give out to the hundreds of children who go to school on motorbikes together with a talk at assembly on road safety and reasons for wearing a helmut.

The only way to enforce the use of helmuts is to have a hefty fine and bike confiscated for a week.

A great idea, but unfortunately with most Thais once they get home that is where the helmuts will stay unless they can sell them on. Pity it wasn't at a school to give out to the hundreds of children who go to school on motorbikes together with a talk at assembly on road safety and reasons for wearing a helmut.

The only way to enforce the use of helmuts is to have a hefty fine and bike confiscated for a week.

That's kind of a negative response to a positive action. A Thai woman bought me a bottle of tea the other day. Should I have told her I wanted a plantation and workers and a house for us all to live in while I grew the tea?

I only said, "thank you very much."

That's kind of a negative response to a positive action. A Thai woman bought me a bottle of tea the other day. Should I have told her I wanted a plantation and workers and a house for us all to live in while I grew the tea?

If you don't like the truth then read the tabloids thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Hmm, if I ride around without a helmet and every time I get stopped I get a free helmet, why would I wear a helmet? Is there anyone that believes the guys that do not were a helmet are doing so because they can’t afford one?

It's like giving money to people for not working, it might be a nice thing to do, but it is certainly not an incentive to look for work.

The truth? You took a positive action and put a negative connotation on it. That's a fact jack!smile.png You want to talk about the bad Thai people start a thread about Thai people being bad. No problem. You may be correct. My point was why try to make a positive action negative. beatdeadhorse.gif I don't think this is the Thai news forum is it?

The truth? You took a positive action and put a negative connotation on it. That's a fact jack!smile.png You want to talk about the bad Thai people start a thread about Thai people being bad. No problem. You may be correct. My point was why try to make a positive action negative. beatdeadhorse.gif I don't think this is the Thai news forum is it?

truth is I never mentioned anything about Thai people being bad or anything, that is all fabricated by your little rant above....

the post I responded to I agree with from Poormax, this is the general forum, a place for all things general...even opinions wai.gif

To 'chiangmaikelly'

First of all if you wish to reply to a comment then make sure you reply to the correct person. As you will see 'Norrana' replied to your post not me. However the comment is correct. I also believe my comment was not 100% negative as you will note from the first two words in my first post. I Do Not have anything against Thai people whatsoever and I do not take kindly to that insinuation. I live here and love it here but that does not mean to say I have to agree with everything they do, the same as I do not do with my fellow countryman.

My reasons for my comment is for the following reasons. Being here for a few years I have been involved with buying 5 motorbikes and each time a free helmut is given (not asked for) so I would guess most dealers do the same. But do they use them more than likely not because for the man it is not macho to wear one and for the ladies not chic. This was an exercise for promotion of Honda products. What they did was gave a few helmuts away to a few passing motorcyclists so rewarded them for breaking the law. Most likely these people already had access to a helmut but decided to not use it. So next time they go out do you honestly think they would use the one given to them? Honda advertising/promotion people got it wrong, did a half hearted job. If they did as I suggested and went to schools and did a presentation with video etc about the dangers of not wearing a helmut then given a few helmuts away, that would have made much more sense. They would have had a much bigger audience, who are young and therefore more impressionable to promote their brand name. Yes what they did was better than nothing, just but the time and money spent by Honda could have been more wisel spent.

I think you should stop reading between the lines and read what I said.

To 'chiangmaikelly'

First of all if you wish to reply to a comment then make sure you reply to the correct person. As you will see 'Norrana' replied to your post not me. However the comment is correct. I also believe my comment was not 100% negative as you will note from the first two words in my first post. I Do Not have anything against Thai people whatsoever and I do not take kindly to that insinuation. I live here and love it here but that does not mean to say I have to agree with everything they do, the same as I do not do with my fellow countryman.

My reasons for my comment is for the following reasons. Being here for a few years I have been involved with buying 5 motorbikes and each time a free helmut is given (not asked for) so I would guess most dealers do the same. But do they use them more than likely not because for the man it is not macho to wear one and for the ladies not chic. This was an exercise for promotion of Honda products. What they did was gave a few helmuts away to a few passing motorcyclists so rewarded them for breaking the law. Most likely these people already had access to a helmut but decided to not use it. So next time they go out do you honestly think they would use the one given to them? Honda advertising/promotion people got it wrong, did a half hearted job. If they did as I suggested and went to schools and did a presentation with video etc about the dangers of not wearing a helmut then given a few helmuts away, that would have made much more sense. They would have had a much bigger audience, who are young and therefore more impressionable to promote their brand name. Yes what they did was better than nothing, just but the time and money spent by Honda could have been more wisel spent.

I think you should stop reading between the lines and read what I said.

I replied to a post by Norrona that said, " If you don't like the truth then read the tabloids thumbsup.gif" You didn't write that did you?

Pormax,

I can't be sure because I was parked away from them, but they seemed to be giving some sort of presentation, ie a speech which I hope was an attempt at education.

They weren't simply stopping riders and shoving a helmet in their hands.

That is a very nice gesture by Honda

Hope they also had some kid sizes.

I am happy to see some parents with a helmet on their kids lately in Chiang Mai

But still 2 or 3 kids with mum, on one bike, right?

No there were more than that, big family. I'll show you.

There are 9 on this bike.

post-60852-0-32650300-1353414396_thumb.j

Sometimes sure but happy to see many with helmets & themselves these days in CM.

Also not just over-sized helmets but I have seen them with what looks like proper fitting helmets.

Always makes me smile. Good on them

100% spot on gave a thai friend a 3500 bht helmet once after a couple of months never seeing him wear it i actually asked for it back ,gues what he had sold it
  • Like 1

No there were more than that, big family. I'll show you.

There are 9 on this bike.

post-60852-0-32650300-1353414396_thumb.j

I'd buy one of those. Must be a strong bike!