• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one of the battles American fight with OUR language!!! :D:D:D:o

Am I wrong? :D

No, you are 100% correctomundo! :D

That is Americanese! You speak it well my friend! :D

Fabula, mi amigo, although I thought it was pigeon Itanian/Spanish. I must ask Glauka.

It's one of the battles American fight with OUR language!!! :D:D:D:o

Am I wrong? :D

No, you are 100% correctomundo! :D

That is Americanese! You speak it well my friend! :D

Fabula, mi amigo, although I thought it was pigeon Itanian/Spanish. I must ask Glauka.

Our sufers have been saying correctomundo for decades. That is the thing with American english, if we like it we use it, no matter where it's from.

We can have plenty of disagreements and jokes about a term like WASP because it probably never was an accurate term, and it has changed some.

W: White, Caucasian

A: Anglo > derived from the English speaking isles of western Europe

S: Saxon > the Angles being natives of English, Saxons from Saxony, France

P: Protestant religion, not Catholic or Jewish or Orthodox Christian

America is still a melting pot. Within 3 or 4 generations, the Old Country faces away, the 3rd generation Irish start marrying Anglo-ish Protestants, even Jews marry Gentiles.

America, like Europe, is largely secular. "Protestant" and "Catholic" don't mean much in many parts of the country.

WASP's used to be the upper middle class Gentiles, separate from Blacks and Jews and immigrant Catholics. They also comprised most of the folks in the Gentile rich class.

You get to Thailand, and folks hardly care if your great grandparents were "Black Irish" or Czech or Italian. You're not Thai, and you're a foreigner. In fact, while 'farang' causes just as many arguments, it's a fluid term, too.

The phrase coined by the sociologist Max Weber, "the Protestant Work Ethic," may not have been very accurate in the 19th century, far less in the 21st.

Besides, we'll never know the answer to the OP's question. We all run in different circles, like cats chasing their tails.

We can have plenty of disagreements and jokes about a term like WASP because it probably never was an accurate term, and it has changed some.

WASP is in the end derogatory because it really refers to such people in a society where everything is dominated by white men, i.e. the interests of other minorities or even larger groups are ignored and excluded. Such groups would be women, ethnic groups, religious groups in fact anyone who does not appear to comply with the "norm" – which ironically is itself a minority…..( as such, it must also have a “tongue –in-cheek” connotation)

“W: White, Caucasian

A: Anglo > derived from the English speaking isles of western Europe

S: Saxon > the Angles being natives of English, Saxons from Saxony, France

P: Protestant religion, not Catholic or Jewish or Orthodox Christian”

The Angles come from the area that lies between Demark and Germany (Schleswig) as do the Saxons (don’t forget the Jutes too!) this lead to the beginnings of the English language which is a Germanic based language. Saxony is of course in Germany not France.

Obviously the name England is derived from the word “Angelland” as the place became known.

Anglo – Saxon then came to refer to the people who had settled in large parts of the British Isles.

The protestant religion too grew up in Northern Europe lead by such people as Martin Luther and John Calvin– in the UK it is called the Church Of England or Anglican Church, and is the country’s official religion.

So basically everything in WASP is exclusive to most people in the world and yet it still reflects the white males’ dominance over everything.